Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

Wolves of the Calla (2003)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (book 5)

8,957120530 (4.02)96
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington, Morteana)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: King borrows sneeches directly from Harry Potter, nice to have a bit of background on them.

English (115)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (120)
It started with the beginning of Wizard and Glass. My interest in the Dark Tower had begun to wane.

At first I thought it was just a byproduct of the jarring left turn King made by going from being on board a sentient, maniacal monorail who was obsessed with riddles to a novel length flashback. "Wtf is he doing?! I want more ruined Topeka! I want more homicidally insane robots! I don't want a flashback, not right now." so I force fed the first hundred pages or so. Slogging through it in the hopes that it would get good and help me understand why so many people declare Wizard to be their favorite of the series. And what do you know? It absolutely did. About a month and 150 pages in and I finished the rest of the book in a few days. It is now, absolutely my favorite book in the series so far. (I haven't finished it yet and have only started Song of Susannah.)

Then, after the whirlwind that was Wizard I jumped directly into Wolves of the Calla. What will happen in this one? Who are the wolves? Werewolves? It is Stephen King so werewolves are a definite possibility. What's a Calla? I know the Spanish word for street is Calle, and there is a lot of weird Spanish words in Wizard... My interest in Wolves started growing before I was even finished reading the Drawing of the Three. So maybe that's why I found it to be the most disappointing of all the books in the DT series up to that point. It had the most interesting titles, the cover I kept seeing had a sort of pulpy, almost noir-ish vibe to it, and wolves! I think I had set my expectations a bit too high.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it. It had a lot of interesting ideas, interesting moments and hey, those homicidally insane robots make something of an appearance after all. I just get the feeling that somewhere during the creation of Wiz, King started losing the thread. It feels like the world he has created is vastly more interesting than the stories he tells about it.

Wolves presents a lot of really intriguing concepts but due to King's predilection for spreading things out to being just this side of bloated, none of them really seem to carry much weight or significance. The reveals end up coming long after the mysteries become tiresome and the stakes seem to be very low. That last one may be a result of the fact that there are two more books after this one. Maybe the stakes felt higher when it was first released.

Anyway, it was still enjoyable. I just can't seem to shake the feeling that the rest of the series won't be able to live up to it's potential. ( )
  Nick85 | Mar 12, 2019 |
I don't recall exactly how I initially stumbled on the DT series, but I know I found it in the period between the publication of the first four books and the last three. As a result, I've read the first four multiple times and have a much stronger relationship with that part of the series than the installments that follow. WotC isn't bad, and it's not all that different structurally from TW, what with a side quest keeping our heroes from moving along the Beam, but there's something about Calla Bryn Sturgis and the Wolves that leaves me more empty than Blaine and Lud. Perhaps it's that this book feels a lot longer than it needs to be, since there's about 700 pages of build up and 5 pages of climax, but this book marks the descent from the high of WaG. Overall, though, Uncle a Steve is like pizza: even when he's bad, he's still pretty damn good. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
This is my favorite book from the Dark Tower series so far! The ka-tet - Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy - are still on their quest which leads them through Calla Bryn Sturgis when they realize that they are being followed at a distance. It doesn't take long for their suitors to catch up with them. It turns out that they are locals, joined by Father Callahan who crossed over from New York a long time ago, and they have come to ask the gunslingers for help. But that isn't everything that they have going on: Additionally, Eddie and Jake travel to New York in their dreams, going to to-dash, which leads them back to the bookstore Jake visited and that seems intimately connected with The Dark Tower. Looking forward to the next book because I HAVE to know what's happened to Susannah! ( )
  EadieB | Jan 3, 2019 |
It was a bit long, could have been about 200 pages shorter. A lot of build-up towards the end and then a lot of the loose ends aren't solved. The climax was short and not that satisfying. ( )
  nielsbom | Dec 9, 2018 |
Another Dark Tower Book down. It's taking a while to read these. I get sidetracked easily. I think it's because there just isn't enough action in them. They move to slowly. Once I made myself sit down and read more of it, it did get pretty interesting. It was a good story. I just needed to stick with it and not left myself get sidetracked. The next one sounds pretty good. Only 2 left! ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergner, WulfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BernieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651693X, Paperback)

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the DARK TOWER series is unlike anything you have ever read.

Here is the fifth installment, "one of the strongest entries yet in what will surely be a master storyteller's magnum opus" (Locus).

Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World on their quest for the Dark Tower. Their path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis. But beyond the tranquil farm town, the ground rises to the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is stealing the town's soul. The wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to. Their guns, however, will not be enough....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

Wolves of the Calla continues the adventures of Roland, the Last Gunslinger and survivor of a civilized world that has "moved on." Roland's quest is ka, an inevitable destiny -- to reach and perhaps save the Dark Tower, which stands at the center of everywhere and everywhen. This pursuit brings Roland, with the three others who've joined his quest to Calla Bryn Sturgis, a town in the shadow of Thunderclap, beyond which lies the Dark Tower. Before advancing, however, they must face the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who threaten to destroy the Calla by abducting its young.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,447,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible