The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla by…

The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Stephen King

7,261None492 (4.04)67
Member:bchccc
Title:The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2006), Edição: New Ed, Paperback, 816 páginas
Rating:***
Tags:The Dark Tower

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

adventure (21) audiobook (23) dark fantasy (22) dark tower (455) ebook (33) epic (40) epic fantasy (17) fantasy (706) fiction (549) first edition (18) gunslinger (45) hardcover (37) horror (360) King (55) novel (52) own (27) post-apocalyptic (37) quest (23) read (97) robots (16) Roland (21) science fiction (104) series (122) sff (20) Stephen King (131) suspense (16) thriller (19) to-read (47) unread (40) western (96)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.

English (69)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
I love this series. It took me a long time to get to it. With all the other books I had to read, I wanted to have a completed series in hand. With that I read the entire series in a month and a half.

This particular book took us into the mountains. With twists and turns, you encounter robots, more traveling through doors, and my favorite Oy!

I can't tell you how bad I wanted to see how this ends. Does he find the tower? If he does, what happens? I know, but your just going to have to keep on reading! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
The Ka-Tet of Nineteen’s skills are requested when a gang of marauders threaten an entire generation of townsfolk. As Gunslingers, Roland and company are unable to refuse those who seek their assistance so they quickly begin preparing for battle. Susannah Dean, pregnant with a demon’s child, has yet another personality arise during her sleep. Her name is “Mia” and she may prove to be very, very dangerous.

There is a lot going on in King’s fifth entry of his acclaimed Dark Tower saga. Susannah’s ongoing mental issues are straining the relationship between Roland and his pupils while the enormity of their duty as gunslingers lingers in the background. Stress is at an all time high and doubt is running through their veins like blood. Fortunately for those involved, situations like this can help to shape a person and while Roland’s Ka-Tet is undoubtedly united, they are far from the force they are destined to become.

While I’ve read a good chunk of Uncle Stevie’s yarns, I have yet to check out Salem’s Lot. With Father Callahan playing such an integral role in the novel, I couldn’t help but feel I may have missed a few things here and there. However, King does a good job expanding Callahan’s story so there’s a chance it’s all covered.

I would have hated to be reading this series as the books were released. The wait between The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass had been six years. The wait between Glass and Wolves was another six years! Two DT books in a combined twelve years. Too long! Thankfully, I can grab books six and seven whenever I damn well feel like it. A luxury for sure. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
The fucking ending!!!!!! JEEBUS!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ( )
  bethie-paige | Jan 29, 2014 |
So far for me, the slowest of the Dark Tower Series. Roland and crew get tied up in the Calla to save the children from the wolves. The wolves swoop in once a generation and take one of every set of twins. They send them back "roont". ( )
  bookwormteri | Jan 23, 2014 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651693X, Paperback)

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the DARK TOWER series is unlike anything you have ever read.

Here is the fifth installment, "one of the strongest entries yet in what will surely be a master storyteller's magnum opus" (Locus).

Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World on their quest for the Dark Tower. Their path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis. But beyond the tranquil farm town, the ground rises to the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is stealing the town's soul. The wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to. Their guns, however, will not be enough....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

Along with his companions, gunslinger Roland endeavors to reach and save the Dark Tower, a quest that is challenged by the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who are abducting the children of the residents of a town in the tower's shadow.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible