The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla by…

The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Stephen King

Member:bchccc
Title:The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2006), Edição: New Ed, Paperback, 816 páginas
Rating:***
Tags:The Dark Tower

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

Recently added bySerg112, pcollins, private library, library_witch713, galphin, deckehoe, RegT, VVilliam
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.

English (72)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (78)
Come-come-commala, I really liked "Wolves of the Calla"! Say thankee big-big Mr. King! The ka-tet defends a town, adds a new member, and hears a tale that is from another King novel! The Sisters of Oriza use a forespecial weapon, Black Thirteen is here, and Roland dances! It's a heck of a tale! And to be continued in Part 6 (or is it 19)? "Someone saved, someone saved, someone saved my life tonight." And for that, I say thankee! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 12, 2014 |
Too much backstory, not enough battle. Great episodes but ultimately frustrating and overdrawn. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
My least favorite work (thus far) in one of my favorite series. While I enjoy and appreciate the direction towards which this series is evolving, as well as many other facets of this individual work, it's very clear (even couched in the author's afterword) that there was a re-visioning of this magnum opus between book IV (Wizard and Glass) and this volume. As a result, many places in this work felt like a transitional piece. ( )
  CKHarrigan | Jun 5, 2014 |
incredible ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
I love this series. It took me a long time to get to it. With all the other books I had to read, I wanted to have a completed series in hand. With that I read the entire series in a month and a half.

This particular book took us into the mountains. With twists and turns, you encounter robots, more traveling through doors, and my favorite Oy!

I can't tell you how bad I wanted to see how this ends. Does he find the tower? If he does, what happens? I know, but your just going to have to keep on reading! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651693X, Paperback)

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the DARK TOWER series is unlike anything you have ever read.

Here is the fifth installment, "one of the strongest entries yet in what will surely be a master storyteller's magnum opus" (Locus).

Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World on their quest for the Dark Tower. Their path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis. But beyond the tranquil farm town, the ground rises to the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is stealing the town's soul. The wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to. Their guns, however, will not be enough....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

Along with his companions, gunslinger Roland endeavors to reach and save the Dark Tower, a quest that is challenged by the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who are abducting the children of the residents of a town in the tower's shadow.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,604,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible