Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)…

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)

Member:ScribbleScribe
Title:Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Paperback, 960 pages

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.

English (75)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (81)
This is where I start to dislike the series. Kings writing really takes a turn for the worst in my opinion. This book picks up after Wind Through the Keyhole our Ka-Tet has come to a small farming community, Calla, that has a major problem. Every so often, riders called Wolves because of the masks they wear, comes and steals half their children. Most of the children in Calla are born as twins, the Wolves steal one half of the pair and send it back years later "roont", which means they are now mentally disabled, unusually large, and die at a very young age. As usual, the Gunslingers are asked to solve the problem, but it is never as clear as just getting rid of some bad people, the Wolves are agents of the Crimson King, and there is the added complication of Susannah being pregnant, and it isn't a wanted pregnancy. Not a favorite book, and really, if the series had ended with this one, I would have been just fine.

For a full review see my blog http://www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Sep 6, 2014 |
Take the long flashback moments from Wizard and Glass, add the sense of urgency (and the time trips) of The Drawing of the Three and the malicious conspiracies from The Wastelands, mix it all together and you have Wolves of the Calla. Is that a bad thing? No way. Even if this book is not as exciting as The Wastelands (in my opinion, the best book of the series), it is great.

No, there is no action from the beginning until the end. In this book, Roland and his an-tet are put in a complicated situation (and if you think about it, Roland Deschain de Gilead is NEVER in complicated situations, but never mind that): they need to help the people from Call against a cruel group of inhumane creatures that kidnap children for a brief period of time, allowing them to return home... completely useless (roonts, as they call).
Of course, Roland and co. could always avoid all the trouble a and continue their quest to the misterious Dark Tower, but they opt to stay and help for two reasons: one, because it's the gunslingers' duty to help the ones who need their help and two, because the people of Calla are in the possession of an object of Roland's interest.

What you'll find in this book: the flashback of a couple of citizens of Calla, a new personality for Susannah (personality? Hm, I wonder...) and several referrences to the world as we know, from Stephen King's own books (which reminds me: who read Salem's Lot will like this book - as for the ones who didn't read it, like me, will not get completely lost in the story) to Harry Potter.
At the end of the story, as usual, we have a battle almost as epic as the one from Lud and an ending that makes you hungry for more.

Also, it's always interesting to notice how much the characters, specially Eddie, are growing wise and mature and how strong is Roland's "human" side. Perhaps this is what makes the story so good. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
I loved this book! Definitely one of the best of the series. My only problem lies in the fact that I hate creepy pregnancies...there's one major female character, why does she have to have the whole mystical pregnancy trope going on? ugh. Other than that, fantastic book! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Come-come-commala, I really liked "Wolves of the Calla"! Say thankee big-big Mr. King! The ka-tet defends a town, adds a new member, and hears a tale that is from another King novel! The Sisters of Oriza use a forespecial weapon, Black Thirteen is here, and Roland dances! It's a heck of a tale! And to be continued in Part 6 (or is it 19)? "Someone saved, someone saved, someone saved my life tonight." And for that, I say thankee! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 12, 2014 |
Too much backstory, not enough battle. Great episodes but ultimately frustrating and overdrawn. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BernieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651693X, Paperback)

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the DARK TOWER series is unlike anything you have ever read.

Here is the fifth installment, "one of the strongest entries yet in what will surely be a master storyteller's magnum opus" (Locus).

Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World on their quest for the Dark Tower. Their path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis. But beyond the tranquil farm town, the ground rises to the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is stealing the town's soul. The wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to. Their guns, however, will not be enough....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

Wolves of the Calla continues the adventures of Roland, the Last Gunslinger and survivor of a civilized world that has "moved on." Roland's quest is ka, an inevitable destiny -- to reach and perhaps save the Dark Tower, which stands at the center of everywhere and everywhen. This pursuit brings Roland, with the three others who've joined his quest to Calla Bryn Sturgis, a town in the shadow of Thunderclap, beyond which lies the Dark Tower. Before advancing, however, they must face the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who threaten to destroy the Calla by abducting its young.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,338,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible