Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)…

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)

7,51993459 (4.04)76
Member:ScribbleScribe
Title:Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Paperback, 960 pages

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) by Stephen King (sturlington)

English (87)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (93)
I can't believe that I didn't finish this years ago! Wolves of the Calla was gripping and mesmerizing and frickin' awesome. I love Stephen King's use of his own previous works in the Dark Tower series. His stories within stories are fascinating and entertaining. Stephen King is a true master of the word and I hope he never stops. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
This is the fifth book in the Dark Tower series. You need to start at the beginning and read all the books. It is well worth doing so as this is a compelling and entertaining saga.

The story continues and we meet new characters including Father Callahan from Salem's Lot. The gunslingers take a break from their quest to help a save the children of a small town but one of the ka-tet is in trouble. ( )
  nebula21 | Mar 18, 2015 |
In 1999 Stephen King was seriously injured by a wayward van while out walking on a rural route near his home. The details of that accident are colorfully recounted in his pseudo-memoir masterpiece, On Writing. A long recovery followed and, in more ways than one, the whole messy affair inspired him to complete his Dark Tower epic. And complete it he did. He wrote the final three novels back-to-back, and although King has continued to write and publish in the ten years since (I'm writing this review in 2015), few may remember that he did threaten to retire due to creative exhaustion once his sprawling epic was concluded.

Wolves of the Calla adheres to the series' western roots by giving us the Mid-World version of The Magnificent Seven. And for the most part King pulled it off. This is a worthy entry in the series.

The Good:
Going todash and those spine-tingling chimes, visiting the rose in the vacant lot, the Ka-Tet being welcomed at the town pavilion, Callahan's tale and the highways in hiding, the bizarre rural dialect of the townsfolk, training the Sisters of Oriza, Jake and the Dogan, confronting Andy, and the final showdown with the Wolves of course.

The Not-So-Good:
Saving that pushover Calvin Tower and his stupid rare books, the over-and-over-and-overuse of the number nineteen, the cartoonish weapons of the Wolves—their lazer swords (lightsabers from Star Wars) and their sneetch grenades (snitches from Harry Potter), and book 5's number one gripe from the fans: Stephen King inserting himself into the story. This will play out more in the next two books, but in my opinion it's a wash. King being in the story works in some places and not so well in others. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Feb 28, 2015 |
As I get deeper and deeper into the Dark Tower, I wonder what will happen--will they prevail? I know there are more books in the series, but that hardly means that the characters I have come to know will be there all standing and unscathed at the end.

Great read! ( )
  csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |
Whelp, I think I'm done. If I do finish the series, it will be a long time from now. ( )
  dandelionroots | Dec 27, 2014 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BernieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651693X, Paperback)

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the DARK TOWER series is unlike anything you have ever read.

Here is the fifth installment, "one of the strongest entries yet in what will surely be a master storyteller's magnum opus" (Locus).

Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World on their quest for the Dark Tower. Their path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis. But beyond the tranquil farm town, the ground rises to the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is stealing the town's soul. The wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to. Their guns, however, will not be enough....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

Along with his companions, gunslinger Roland endeavors to reach and save the Dark Tower, a quest that is challenged by the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who are abducting the children of the residents of a town in the tower's shadow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible