Die Nadel: Roman (German Edition) by Ken…

Die Nadel: Roman (German Edition) (original 1978; edition 2009)

by Ken Follett

Member:books4mysoul
Title:Die Nadel: Roman (German Edition)
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Lübbe Digital (2009), Kindle Edition, 415 pages

Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett (1978)

English (66)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (75)
A great fast paced read from Kenn Follett. His books are typical and full of actiona and adventure. One of Follett's better known works, this book is is a spy story set during the world war II .

For a detailed review please click on the link below or paste it on the browser:
http://onerightword.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/eye-of-needle-ken-follet.html ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
The novel was published in 1978 and way back in 1981 this book was turned into a movie with Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan. Although I have not seen the film in quite a long time I thought it excellent when I first saw it and re-watched it on cable more than once. After first seeing the film I picked up the novel and liked it every bit as much as the film and probably more. Film and novel are both excellent. The story is told about about several characters with three focal points so to speak, but the story is about a German agent embedded in England who has been told to discover if there is a false show being put on by the allies to confuse Germany about where the D-Day invasion will be. It was an elaborate scheme of deception. Equally important is a young (and tragic) married couple living on an island in the North Sea. British MI hunts down the needle before he can discover and relay the truth. The story is tightly woven and the novel is truly a suspense filled thriller with several heart racing scenes. Each character is well written and I was very glad to read it again. A real page turner at times after a very good buildup.

Terrific book. Highly recommended. This certainly holds up 40 years after first publication. ( )
  RBeffa | Jul 11, 2018 |
First book of the year was a real page turner! I really enjoyed this spy-thriller set in the time of World War II England. This book is basically told from three points of view. First, from that of a German spy and his actions in England. Second, from the point of view of the British MI-5 man tasked with tracking him down. And third, from the point of view of a young married couple at the time. There are also a few random chapters that share the story of others (including Rommel and Hitler), but those are done to move the plot along.

While I found the ending to be fairly predictable (not the actual action, but the result), I think this was a fantastic short novel. Each of the characters were interesting and true to themselves, and I found myself rooting for the good guys and against the bad guys. This was my second Ken Follett book and I will be sure to read more. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Pros
The realistic but simultaneously exciting portrayal of being a spy
Smart, accurate, and interesting in its portrayal of how to hunt a spy
A workman-like sense own efficiency in word choice that keeps the pacing strong
Sense of stakes
Historical information was very interesting
Sympathetic protagonists
Cons
Some dumb or illogical character behavior/decisions
Was unsure what the author wanted me to feel towards the spy, sympathy and disgust
The two storylines take a long time to intertwine.

8/10 Very Good. If you're looking for a profound and daring Spy novel, you won't find it here. But you will find a damn entertaining one. ( )
  DanielRobledo | Feb 14, 2018 |
One of Follett's first few books, this was the novel that put him on the map. A well written thriller with good incorporation of the events surrounding the leadup to D-Day, its a good light read. ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |

Ken Follettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Calzeroni, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Germans were almost completely deceived - only Hitler guessed right, and he hesitated to back his hunch...
A. J. P. Taylor
English history 1914 - 1945
My thanks to Malcolm Hulke for invaluable help, generously given.
It was the coldest winter for forty-five years.
Early in 1944, German intelligence was piecing together evidence of a huge army in southeastern England. (Preface)

German

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006074815X, Paperback)

One enemy spy knows the secret to the Allies' greatest deception, a brilliant aristocrat and ruthless assassin -- code name: "The Needle" -- who holds the key to ultimate Nazi victory.

Only one person stands in his way: a lonely Englishwoman on an isolated island, who is beginning to love the killer who has mysteriously entered her life.

All will come to a terrifying conclusion in Ken Follett's unsurpassed and unforgettable masterwork of suspense, intrigue, and the dangerous machinations of the human heart.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:13 -0400)

"One enemy spy knows the secret of the Allies' greatest deception, a brilliant aristocrat and ruthless assassin-code name: The Needle-who holds the key to the ultimate Nazi victory. Only one person stands in his way: a lonely Englishwoman on an isolated island, who is coming to love the killer who has mysteriously entered her life"-- Cover verso.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,728,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible