The Ugly Vegetables by Grace Lin

The Ugly Vegetables (edition 2009)

by Grace Lin, Grace Lin (Author), Grace Lin (Illustrator)

Member:NicoleHandorf
Title:The Ugly Vegetables
Authors:Grace Lin
Other authors:Grace Lin (Author), Grace Lin (Illustrator)
Info:Charlesbridge Publishing (2009), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Asian American, Realistic Fiction, Picture Book
Tags:Chinese cultural, factual, fun, recipe included

The Ugly Vegetables by Grace Lin

This is a book about a mom and daughter who grow different things in their garden than most families. The title girl is sad until all the neighbors love the veggies they grew. This realistic fiction book could be used in preschool or kindergarten.
  Kaligorman | Apr 17, 2017 |
I really liked this book for two main reasons. I really like the characters and the illustrations in the book. The characters were very believable and well developed. This book is about a mother and daughter that are planting vegetables while everyone else is planting flowers. The little girl wants to have a pretty garden like everyone else but her mother tells her that the vegetables are better. I really like the characters because they portray real people and how a child would think. One thing that I thought was interesting about this book is that the author wrote about real life experiences she had planting vegetables with her mother. I also like the illustrations in the book, because they enhance the story and are appropriate to the mood of the story. The illustrations were very colorful and helped to tell the story. Even the character’s face helped to tell what was going on, sometimes they were smiling and sometimes they were frowning. Overall the illustrations were awesome and went along with the text. I think the message of this story is to accept who you are. The little girl wanted to be like everyone else and plant flowers but the mother knew the vegetables were better. Once the mom made soup with the vegetables the little girl realized how much more important they are.
  chunt8 | Apr 17, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for multiple reasons. My first reason why I really liked reading this book was because it shows diversity and a different culture while being in America. I think that it was interesting to read because I did not see much of different cultures in my life.
One reason why I like this book is the plot. This little girl was growing up in America and planting with his mother who is also Asian. The little girl becomes very self-conscious that her vegetables are not the same as everyone else’s. In the end, her mother reminds her of her culture and how it is nice to be different.
The second reason I liked about this book was the illustrations. In the book, there were multiple times where I would not understand what was going on without the illustrations. For example, the illustrator made sure to show the plant signs in Chinese as well as the American signs that her neighbors had. This showed me how they looked to the little girl.
I believe that the overall big idea of this book was that nobody should be ashamed of their culture and that everyone is different and that is okay. The big idea really comes at the end of the book when little girl was excited for next spring so she could grow her Chinese vegetables with her mom. ( )
  OliviaLasure | Apr 10, 2017 |
This is a book about a mother and a daughter who are growing a garden of Chinese vegetables that are different than everyone else's gardens. At first the daughter is sad that her family isn't growing lovely vegetables like everyone else but then she comes to realize that the vegetables are delicious and everyone in her neighborhood does to.
  BurgessMeredith | Feb 6, 2017 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The books tells a story of a Chinese mother and daughter gardening in the spring. Throughout the story as the mother is gardening, the daughter notices differences between the way her mother is gardening and the way her neighbors are garden and she becomes discouraged. The daughter is upset because her garden is not as colorful as her neighbors. But at the end of the story she realizes how wonderful her garden is and how tasty the Chinese vegetables are because the neighbors all come to her house asking to trade their flowers for some of the soup her mother made from the Chinese vegetables in her garden. The illustrations in this book are very unique and extremely colorful, they capture the readers attention. The language used throughout the story is very detailed, for example the daughter say, "I looked, but saw only black-purple-green vines, fuzzy wrinkled leaves, prickly stems, and a few yellow flowers." Another reason liked this book was that i thought it was an excellent multicultural text I could use in my future classroom. The story is about Chinese food culture and even has the Chinese words for the different vegetables they grew, along with the pronunciation to help the reader say the word properly. Overall this book teaches children that having a different culture than your peers is a good thing and that it should be embraced and shared. I really enjoyed reading this book.
  Sierra_Lawson | Nov 1, 2016 |

It’s easy to appreciate a garden exploding with colorful flowers and fragrances, but what do you do with a patch of ugly vegetables? Author/illustrator Grace Lin recalls such a garden in this charming and eloquent story.

The neighbors’ gardens look so much prettier and so much more inviting to the young gardener than the garden of “black-purple-green vines, fuzzy wrinkled leaves, prickly stems, and a few little yellow flowers” that she and her mother grow. Nevertheless, mother assures her that “these are better than flowers.” Come harvest time, everyone agrees as those ugly Chinese vegetables become the tastiest, most aromatic soup they have ever known. As the neighborhood comes together to share flowers and ugly vegetable soup, the young gardener learns that regardless of appearances, everything has its own beauty and purpose.

The Ugly Vegetables springs forth with the bright and cheerful colors of blooming flowers and bumpy, ugly vegetables. Grace Lin’s colorful, playful illustrations pour forth with abundant treasures. Complete with a guide to the Chinese pronunciation of the vegetables and the recipe for ugly vegetable soup! Try it . . . you’ll love it, too!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:12 -0400)

A little girl thinks her mother's garden is the ugliest in the neighborhood until she discovers that flowers might look and smell pretty but Chinese vegetable soup smells best of all. Includes a recipe.

Charlesbridge

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1570914915, 0881063363

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,898,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible