Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Traction Man is Here! by the dread pirate…
Hauling away...

Traction Man is Here!

by the dread pirate Mini Grey

More o't' same stuff: Traction Man (1)

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysMentions
Nought

Nought.

Hauling away...

I enjoyed looking at the details in each picture. I am a bit hesitant to encourage young kids to "play" war, but I think there is plenty of seperation between reality and make believe here.
  Talwold | May 17, 2014 |
This was the inspiration for our own tiny superhero at the library.
The kids documented with photos and written reports what Captain Bucky's exploits were around the library. ( )
  2wonderY | Nov 10, 2013 |
This book was so charming! I'm glad I used this book to do my visual literacy assignment because I learned so much about the story from doing so. I like that there is a balance between realism and surrealism within the story. I also enjoyed that Traction Man maintains some of his doll features while he's on his adventures. With respect to the style of writing, it read almost like an advertisement for the action figure, which I found to be very amusing, how an action figure would have his adventures in an average home, fighting with brooms and saving spoons and scrubbing brushes. In the classroom, this would make for a great read aloud.
  pyattlori | Oct 23, 2013 |
As an adult, this book was very nostalgic. It reminded me of days where I played with my dolls and had them go on adventures. This book does a very good job bring Traction Man to life and give us a view of the world through his eyes. Every child can relate to this story as they all had their variations of make believe. They'll be excited to see a type of make believe come to life on paper. Especially when common items become a part of the story like the scrubber became Traction Man's pet, the toes and dish wash cloth were a villain, etc. Even though using strange items, Traction Man is not happy with his new outfit by Grandma but he learns that even that outfit has it purpose, just like everything else.
1 Say aye Vania_Coates | Jun 9, 2013 |
In this immensely entertaining picture-book from English children's author and artist Mini Grey, a young boy receives a new Traction Man hero-figure for Christmas, and proceeds to put him through his paces, in a variety of imaginary play scenarios. From scuba diving in the sink to crawling through the "jungle" near the pond, Traction Man is always triumphant, and always suitably dressed for the job! Then he is confronted with the green knitted romper suit that Granny has made for him. Can a super-hero be a super-hero, in such a get-up? Fortunately for Traction Man, his reliable sidekick, Scrubbing Brush, comes to the rescue...

Chosen as one of our December selections, over in The Picture-Book Club to which I belong, where our theme this month is toys, Traction Man Is Here! is a hilarious tale of a boy and his toy, and the adventures they have together. Although the boy is often out of the picture, it is clear that it is he, and not Traction Man, who is directing the action, making the resolution of the green romper suit issue all the more humorous. With bright, appealing artwork, and an engaging story that emphasizes the boy's imagination - I particularly liked the Poisonous Dishcloth monster, and the Scrubbing Brush dog - this is a book that young kids with a sense of humor, and a fondness for imaginary play will appreciate! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 22, 2013 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
To my big brother Tony
Startin' out
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

Traction Man, a boy's courageous action figure, has a variety of adventures with Scrubbing Brush and other objects in the house.

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (4.1)

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,310 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible