Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione

Desire Unchained

by Larissa Ione

Recently added bysdlashbrook, private library, Reava_Bennett, Irena., frozenteacher, waclements7

English (36)  German (1)  All languages (37)
Hot damn! Just when I thought things couldn't get hotter in the world of UG here comes Shade's story. Ione has done it again in creating a hero and heroine that you can't help but root for. I loved getting Shade's background. Adorable goth girl Gem is back along with conflicted Kynan and we see plenty of E and a little Tay too. The relationship between the three brothers is further explored and explained and I found myself loving them even more. Those who've read Pleasure Unbound know that Ione will kill off characters suddenly so be forewarned.

Warning for BDSM. If you don't like it there is a scene or two that you should skip. My main problem with the BDSM element was that it seemed confused. At first Shade seemed to enjoy being a Dom. Then he hated it. Then he had to do it because Runa wanted him to. I didn't get it. For once I'd like to see an author have a couple engaging in play that just did it because they enjoyed the exploration of boundaries and not because of some childhood issues that the hero or heroine had to get over.

Anyway, the four stars says it all. I love this series and can't wait for more.
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Wow, talk about a huge change in rating from the first book to the second. This one left a rather foul taste in my mouth.

Shade is an incubus demon who was cursed by an angry warlock when he caught Shade diddling his wife. The curse is set to activate when Shade falls in love. When this happens he is doomed to fade into nothing, becoming a kind of tormented ghost. So, Shade has spent his life avoiding any kind of romantic attachments in fear of activating the curse. Which has apparently given him license to be a complete ass.

The story starts with Shade waking up in dungeon that he shares with an extremely pissed off female werewolf named Runa. Runa, our heroine, reveals that she had dated Shade for a couple of months and it ended badly. This is where my problem started with the book. It's no spoiler to tell you that Shade cheated on Runa since its talked about in the first couple of chapters. Runa came to Shade's apartment one day to find him in the middle of screwing two women. This definitely set the tone of the story for me. I absolutely cannot stand cheating heroes. Its one of my biggest pet peeves. I muscled through the rest of this book mostly because of how much I had enjoyed the first one. The only reason why this book is getting two stars from me is because I enjoyed the subplots going on. Otherwise, Shade and Runa's relationship just pissed me off. I didn't really like Shade. He cheated on Runa and was plotting to kill her through most of the book to save his own hide. And he did nothing to redeem himself. There was barely even an "I'm sorry" involved. Runa spent a very short time hating him and then she suddenly switched to professing her undying love and devotion. Girl needs to grow a stronger backbone and Shade needs a swift kick to the balls.

Anyway, Wraith's story is next in the series. I'll be picking it up mostly because I had it ordered before I read this one. Hopefully, its closer to being like Pleasure Unbound than this one. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Definitely not as smooth or as intriguing as [b:Pleasure Unbound|2679633|Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)|Larissa Ione|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255913720s/2679633.jpg|2704935]. The main story lacked something for me. I wasn't particularly interested in reading Shade's story after reading the first book, I wanted Wraith's. I think the BDSM thing was an attempt to make Shade more interesting but I couldn't have cared less about it but when Runa was forcing him to hurt her I got annoyed, especially when Wraith assumed the worst. Shade's relationship with Wraith is complicated, they may be tight but Shade keeps a lot of secrets from him so in some ways he's closer to Eidolon.

What really irritated me and obliterated the chance of me getting my happy-ever-after buzz I usually get from PNR were the side story endings. Kynan. Sigh. I could have handled him leaving for a while to protect the hospital but the whole scene with Arik was just weird. Part fallen angel?! Going to destroy the world?! What?! First of all, Kynan was now a cynical pessimist so why didn't he question this? Why did he leave with the very people he had believed would kill him for his betrayal? Secondly, if all this is true then it was a horrible bomb to drop in at the end of this book with no details. It was OTT. On the other hand, I wonder if this is to set Kynan up for Gem's HEA to give him a long life and possibly a sense of purpose. I've really grown attached to Kynan which is probably why I feel so strongly about this. He's become friends with Wraith, two broken men together. Wraith even tries to push Gem on him because he knows that's what Ky needs.

After this I was deflated, then another bomb dropped. Wraith's gone through the s'genesis early somehow. Again no real details except that Wraith can't gain a mate. Another sigh.

I have [b:Passion Unleashed|7007378|Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3)|Larissa Ione|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255913735s/7007378.jpg|4765865] but I now resent the fact that I've bought it. I even read the excerpt and don't feel compelled to read it. Wraith's book! That I was previously dying to read! I'll give it a chance at some point soon but I feel a little let down after the intriguing debut. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Incredible book! Larissa Ione hit this one out of the freaking park! I loved E and Tay, but I think that for now, Shade and Runa take the cake. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |

Though some of the black market killers have been put down, the threat remains, weakened, but growing stronger. When Shade is captured along with an ex-lover who blames him for a terrible betrayal, he is forced to confront dangerous emotions that, if acted upon, could result in a fate worse than death.

Falling in love with a sexy stranger who seems to know her every desire, Runa Wagner discovers that he has betrayed her and vows revenge.

Larissa Ione is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,843,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible