Very Valentine: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani

Very Valentine: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Adriana Trigiani

Member:nickandnora
Title:Very Valentine: A Novel
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Harper Perennial (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 401 pages

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Recently added byINorris, lovelypenny, private library, KimiJo5468, mainemason, ellenuw, thea-block

English (79)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Valentine Roncalli is a 33 year old Italian American living in Greenwich Village New York City with her Gram and is apprentice to the family’s custom wedding shoe company. This is the 2nd book I’ve read by Adriana Trigiani, and her writing makes me feel I really get to know her characters. I reveled in her detailed descriptions of the art of shoe making and could feel the love the cobblers have for their work. Trigiani’s descriptions of the Isle of Capri made me want to drop everything and get on a plane to Italy and her descriptions of the food Valentine’s boyfriend makes made my mouth water. The portrayal of Valentine’s Italian-American family seems a bit over the top, but I enjoyed this fun, lighthearted story of family life and love that brought me both to laughter and to tears. I read this as an audio book, narrated by Cassandra Campbell. Campbell brought the characters to life and her voice of Valentine was perfect. ( )
  Bluebird1 | Jan 14, 2016 |
Valentine is trying to save the Angelini Shoe Company and figuring out her love life all while dealing with her big, loving, slightly crazy Italian family. What made this for me was the incredible detail and language. I loved reading about Valentine figuring out her life and dealing with change. Definitely going to give the next one a try.

In memory of my grandfather, Carlo Bonicelli, a shoemaker
I'm not the pretty sister.
A woman can reinvent or erase her history entirely when she travels. This is one of the great benefits of leaving home.
Note that Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, Brava Valentine, and any sequels that are forthcoming do not belong in series with Doctor Lochinvar (A Valentine Book #333) by Jean Carew. I have purposely changed the series designation to VValentine for Adriana Trigiani's books to keep the unrelated and irrelevant book out of this series. For this reason, I would ask that you please do not alter the series designation back to Valentine.

Publisher Comments:
Meet the Roncalli and Angelini families, a vibrant cast of colorful characters who navigate tricky family dynamics with hilarity and brio, from magical Manhattan to the picturesque hills of bella Italia. Very Valentine is the first novel in a trilogy and is sure to be the new favorite of Trigiani's millions of fans around the world.

In this luscious, contemporary family saga, the Angelini Shoe Company, makers of exquisite wedding shoes since 1903, is one of the last family-owned businesses in Greenwich Village. The company is on the verge of financial collapse. It falls to thirty-three-year-old Valentine Roncalli, the talented and determined apprentice to her grandmother, the master artisan Teodora Angelini, to bring the family's old-world craftsmanship into the twenty-first century and save the company from ruin.

While juggling a budding romance with dashing chef Roman Falconi, her duty to her family, and a design challenge presented by a prestigious department store, Valentine returns to Italy with her grandmother to learn new techniques and seek one-of-a-kind materials for building a pair of glorious shoes to beat their rivals. There, in Tuscany, Naples, and on the Isle of Capri, a family secret is revealed as Valentine discovers her artistic voice and much more, turning her life and the family business upside down in ways she never expected. Very Valentine is a sumptuous treat, a journey of dreams fulfilled, a celebration of love and loss filled with Trigiani's trademark heart and humor.

Valentine Roncalli struggles to save her decades-old family business, finding love and the life she wants along the way.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible