Very Valentine: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani

Very Valentine: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Adriana Trigiani

Member:nickandnora
Title:Very Valentine: A Novel
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Harper Perennial (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 401 pages

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

English (87)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (89)
I am a fan of the Big Stone Gap series as well as some of her stand-alones and so I high hopes for this one. What a disappointment. The excessive attention to superfluous detail made me want to scream. I had heard that the book was very descriptive but I had no idea of the extent.

Do I really need to know what every character in every scene is wearing? I was subjected in mind-numbing detail about everything I never wanted to know about the outfits these characters wore throughout the book. Do I care that Dad’s feet, “in black suede Merrils, rests on the lower bar of the stool” while her mother’s, “in dark brown calfskin ankle boots with a high wedge heel, dangle above the foot bar”? Does it add anything to the story? No. This ridiculous attention to detail continues with clothing. At a birthday party early in the book, a character can’t simply cry out “Happy Birthday!” No, she “…cries (Happy Birthday!) in her black sequin tank with matching silk georgette palazzo pants and a wide hammered-gold chain-link belt that drips down her thigh with a fringe of rhinestones. She wears strappy gold sandals…” The clothing description continues with each character at the party, even the men. And on it goes throughout the entire book.

Unless you care about shoemaking (which I most certainly do not) be prepared to read in excruciating detail every single aspect of the business. Character development took a back seat to the descriptive prose so much so that by the end of the book I no longer cared what happened to any of them, I just wanted it to be over.

janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Can't locate 12/16 ( )
  clue | Dec 31, 2016 |
Delightful and enjoyable read! Family,friends and the family business and a trip to lovely Capri. Highly recommended! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Adriana Trigiani creates such lovely descriptions using vivid colors, sounds, smells....details. She makes you feel as though you live in Greenwich Village and travel to Capri, Italy. The book is a lovely life story that is so real you feel as though you know these people. ( )
  lambc81181 | Mar 30, 2016 |
If you liked the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding than you are going to love this book; the humor in it is hilarious. And the story is warm. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
In memory of my grandfather, Carlo Bonicelli, a shoemaker
I'm not the pretty sister.
A woman can reinvent or erase her history entirely when she travels. This is one of the great benefits of leaving home.
Note that Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, Brava Valentine, and any sequels that are forthcoming do not belong in series with Doctor Lochinvar (A Valentine Book #333) by Jean Carew. I have purposely changed the series designation to VValentine for Adriana Trigiani's books to keep the unrelated and irrelevant book out of this series. For this reason, I would ask that you please do not alter the series designation back to Valentine.

Publisher Comments:
Meet the Roncalli and Angelini families, a vibrant cast of colorful characters who navigate tricky family dynamics with hilarity and brio, from magical Manhattan to the picturesque hills of bella Italia. Very Valentine is the first novel in a trilogy and is sure to be the new favorite of Trigiani's millions of fans around the world.

In this luscious, contemporary family saga, the Angelini Shoe Company, makers of exquisite wedding shoes since 1903, is one of the last family-owned businesses in Greenwich Village. The company is on the verge of financial collapse. It falls to thirty-three-year-old Valentine Roncalli, the talented and determined apprentice to her grandmother, the master artisan Teodora Angelini, to bring the family's old-world craftsmanship into the twenty-first century and save the company from ruin.

While juggling a budding romance with dashing chef Roman Falconi, her duty to her family, and a design challenge presented by a prestigious department store, Valentine returns to Italy with her grandmother to learn new techniques and seek one-of-a-kind materials for building a pair of glorious shoes to beat their rivals. There, in Tuscany, Naples, and on the Isle of Capri, a family secret is revealed as Valentine discovers her artistic voice and much more, turning her life and the family business upside down in ways she never expected. Very Valentine is a sumptuous treat, a journey of dreams fulfilled, a celebration of love and loss filled with Trigiani's trademark heart and humor.

Valentine Roncalli struggles to save her decades-old family business, finding love and the life she wants along the way.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,498,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible