Very Valentine: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani

Very Valentine: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Adriana Trigiani

Member:nickandnora
Title:Very Valentine: A Novel
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Harper Perennial (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 401 pages

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

English (73)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
Valentine is a fourth generation cobbler. Unfortunately the specialty shoe business her great grandfather started is suffering under the weight of discount competition and product branding by the big names in the industry. But Valentine has no intention of giving up. Her personal determination, amazing grandmother, dysfunctional family and new love interest can only lead to good things happening … if only they would take her seriously. A light, amusing read and I will definitely be picking up the next in the series to find out where life takes this lovable cast of characters. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Good for light reading. Valentine is admirable as a character, but I couldn't really empathize with her until far into the story. The description of Valentine's surroundings are very detailed, and it's pretty obvious that the author has a history with the places mentioned in the book. The description of roads and landmarks in New York City was so detailed that it took away from my enjoyment of the book: it was clear to me that I could not understand what Trigiani was writing about simply because I have never been to NYC. The part of the story in Italy was better for me--I went there once.
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
This is classic Trigiani -- light, hysterical, and a lot of Italian family dynamics. ( )
  marcal | Jan 13, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This was a fun read about a large Italian family in New York city. The grandmother owns the Angelini Shoe Company which has been in business since 1903 and Valentine works with her. I read more about making shoes than I really wanted to know and I found those parts of the book kind of boring. What I really enjoyed was the family - they sisters and the fun that they family all had together was hilarious. Can't wait to read book 2 in the series to see what happens next. ( )
  susan0316 | Jun 21, 2014 |
In memory of my grandfather, Carlo Bonicelli, a shoemaker
I'm not the pretty sister.
A woman can reinvent or erase her history entirely when she travels. This is one of the great benefits of leaving home.
Note that Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, Brava Valentine, and any sequels that are forthcoming do not belong in series with Doctor Lochinvar (A Valentine Book #333) by Jean Carew. I have purposely changed the series designation to VValentine for Adriana Trigiani's books to keep the unrelated and irrelevant book out of this series. For this reason, I would ask that you please do not alter the series designation back to Valentine.

Publisher Comments:
Meet the Roncalli and Angelini families, a vibrant cast of colorful characters who navigate tricky family dynamics with hilarity and brio, from magical Manhattan to the picturesque hills of bella Italia. Very Valentine is the first novel in a trilogy and is sure to be the new favorite of Trigiani's millions of fans around the world.

In this luscious, contemporary family saga, the Angelini Shoe Company, makers of exquisite wedding shoes since 1903, is one of the last family-owned businesses in Greenwich Village. The company is on the verge of financial collapse. It falls to thirty-three-year-old Valentine Roncalli, the talented and determined apprentice to her grandmother, the master artisan Teodora Angelini, to bring the family's old-world craftsmanship into the twenty-first century and save the company from ruin.

While juggling a budding romance with dashing chef Roman Falconi, her duty to her family, and a design challenge presented by a prestigious department store, Valentine returns to Italy with her grandmother to learn new techniques and seek one-of-a-kind materials for building a pair of glorious shoes to beat their rivals. There, in Tuscany, Naples, and on the Isle of Capri, a family secret is revealed as Valentine discovers her artistic voice and much more, turning her life and the family business upside down in ways she never expected. Very Valentine is a sumptuous treat, a journey of dreams fulfilled, a celebration of love and loss filled with Trigiani's trademark heart and humor.

Valentine Roncalli struggles to save her decades-old family business, finding love and the life she wants along the way.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,417,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible