Very Valentine: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani

Very Valentine: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Adriana Trigiani

Member:nickandnora
Title:Very Valentine: A Novel
Authors:Adriana Trigiani
Info:Harper Perennial (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 401 pages

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

English (84)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (86)
Adriana Trigiani creates such lovely descriptions using vivid colors, sounds, smells....details. She makes you feel as though you live in Greenwich Village and travel to Capri, Italy. The book is a lovely life story that is so real you feel as though you know these people. ( )
  lambc81181 | Mar 30, 2016 |
If you liked the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding than you are going to love this book; the humor in it is hilarious. And the story is warm. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I freely admit that I probably picked this book for the wrong reasons. (1) it was Valentine's Day, and this book has the word Valentine in the title! (2) the author offered a walking tour in Manhattan on one of the sites I visit, which I thought was pretty cool. (3) The main character makes custom wedding shoes, and if you follow my reviews, you've probably noticed that in the months leading up to my wedding I'm a bit of a sucker for books related to weddings, however tangentially.

All of that said, I didn't *not* enjoy this book. It was fine. Some of it was even lovely, and I now have a previously undiscovered longing to visit the isle of Capri. I now know what the vamp of a shoe is.

None of this could wring a third star out of me, because the incredible overuse of simile and metaphor was impossible to get past. Sometimes there would be two in the same sentence! At one point, we're told that rugs are "splashed" across a marble floor, and two sentences later women (who "drip" with jewelry, naturally) are described as having "splashes of glitz against their tawny skin." Using "splash" creatively is fine in either of those instances, but twice in three sentences is ridiculous.

A small sampling of annoying similes from a single wedding scene:

-My mother bursts into the lounge like a frapped tangerine (?)
-a corsage of purple roses, which hangs off her lilac crepe dress like a ruby red tire
-I yank up the front of my dress like I'm pulling a full Hefty bag out of a trash can
-her lips pulled tight, like the zipper on a change purse
-her eyes rolling around in their sockets like frantic golf balls

And if I even started to count the number of times that rivers or lakes or oceans were described as unfurled bolts of fabric, I'd lose my mind.

So, yes, you can ruin a perfectly decent storyline with an excess of descriptive detail, just like you can ruin a perfectly good wedding dress with a bow bigger than the bride's head, which steals attention like a girl in a too-small bikini top at a country fair.

If your eyes are rolling around in your sockets like frantic golf balls, I've done my job. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
4**** and a

Trigiani is a larger-than-life woman who writes about larger-than-life women. Her books are peopled with characters we care about, whose hearts are open – flaws and all, who live, laugh, love, cry and endear themselves to us.

Valentine Roncalli is working in her grandparents custom shoe shop, and living above the shop with her grandmother. She’s 33 (nearly 34) still single, and struggling with what she wants to do with her life. Her brother’s move to sell the Greenwich Village building in which their shop and home is located so that “Gran can retire in peace” rankles Valentine and threatens the business that’s been in the family since 1903.

Valentine’s journey to find her way is wonderfully told. Full of humor, pathos, love, disappointment, family feuds, health scares and all the threads that form the rich fabric of her life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 12, 2016 |
In memory of my grandfather, Carlo Bonicelli, a shoemaker
I'm not the pretty sister.
A woman can reinvent or erase her history entirely when she travels. This is one of the great benefits of leaving home.
Note that Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, Brava Valentine, and any sequels that are forthcoming do not belong in series with Doctor Lochinvar (A Valentine Book #333) by Jean Carew. I have purposely changed the series designation to VValentine for Adriana Trigiani's books to keep the unrelated and irrelevant book out of this series. For this reason, I would ask that you please do not alter the series designation back to Valentine.

Publisher Comments:
Meet the Roncalli and Angelini families, a vibrant cast of colorful characters who navigate tricky family dynamics with hilarity and brio, from magical Manhattan to the picturesque hills of bella Italia. Very Valentine is the first novel in a trilogy and is sure to be the new favorite of Trigiani's millions of fans around the world.

In this luscious, contemporary family saga, the Angelini Shoe Company, makers of exquisite wedding shoes since 1903, is one of the last family-owned businesses in Greenwich Village. The company is on the verge of financial collapse. It falls to thirty-three-year-old Valentine Roncalli, the talented and determined apprentice to her grandmother, the master artisan Teodora Angelini, to bring the family's old-world craftsmanship into the twenty-first century and save the company from ruin.

While juggling a budding romance with dashing chef Roman Falconi, her duty to her family, and a design challenge presented by a prestigious department store, Valentine returns to Italy with her grandmother to learn new techniques and seek one-of-a-kind materials for building a pair of glorious shoes to beat their rivals. There, in Tuscany, Naples, and on the Isle of Capri, a family secret is revealed as Valentine discovers her artistic voice and much more, turning her life and the family business upside down in ways she never expected. Very Valentine is a sumptuous treat, a journey of dreams fulfilled, a celebration of love and loss filled with Trigiani's trademark heart and humor.

Valentine Roncalli struggles to save her decades-old family business, finding love and the life she wants along the way.

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,608,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible