Fool: A Novel by Christopher Moore

Fool: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Christopher Moore

Member:abby.of.the.year
Title:Fool: A Novel
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:William Morrow (2009), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2

Fool by Christopher Moore

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (TheBoltChick)
    King Lear by William Shakespeare (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you haven't read (or seen) King Lear you won't get about 1/2 the jokes.
    A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley (Othemts)
    Othemts: A Lear by any other name.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (146)  German (1)  All languages (147)
I did not finish reading this book. I'm just so bored and don't want to waste any more time forcing myself to read it. Parts of it have been really funny, it's just not holding my interest and there are a lot of other books I'd rather be reading. ( )
  Anniezp | Jan 25, 2016 |
I'm a Christopher Moore fan, and this was certainly an entertaining read...but it was no Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff. That one had a great blend of humor, insight, sadness, all the way through...this one has moments. I think partly it has to do with the narrator. Biff was a very likable character...Pocket, less so. Moore is always worthwhile, but I guess I wouldn't start with this one. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Christopher Moore takes on Shakespeare by translating the tragedy, King Lear, into a comedy. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 23, 2016 |
Hilarious story of King Lear told from the Fool's perspective. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
My first thought when reading Fool? This book is not for those that can't appreciate (or at least tolerate) vulgarity (sometimes in mass amount). Luckily, this was not an issue for me, so I delved into my first reading from Christopher Moore. The author is quite talented. He was able to take a fairly well known Shakespeare play - King Lear - and turn it into a story of adventure, intrigue, and hilarity from beginning to end. Well written. I am now interested in more books written by Mr. Moore and hope they offer just as many laughs and adventures. ( )
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

"Tosser!" cried the raven.
There's always a bloody raven.
Hung like an ox, Drool is - I suspect you'd extrude stools untapered for a fortnight
once Drool's laid the bugger to ya'.
Thus muted, I pumped my codpiece at the duke and tried to force a fart, but my bum trumpet could find no note.

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as nontraditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank . . . If that's the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!"

Verily speaks Christopher Moore, much beloved scrivener and peerless literary jester, who hath writteneth much that is of grand wit and belly-busting mirth, including such laurelled bestsellers of the Times of Olde Newe Yorke as Lamb, A Dirty Job, and You Suck (no offense). Now he takes on no less than the legendary Bard himself (with the utmost humility and respect) in a twisted and insanely funny tale of a moronic monarch and his deceitful daughters—a rousing story of plots, subplots, counterplots, betrayals, war, revenge, bared bosoms, unbridled lust . . . and a ghost (there's always a bloody ghost), as seen through the eyes of a man wearing a codpiece and bells on his head.

Fool

A man of infinite jest, Pocket has been Lear's cherished fool for years, from the time the king's grown daughters—selfish, scheming Goneril, sadistic (but erotic-fantasy-grade-hot) Regan, and sweet, loyal Cordelia—were mere girls. So naturally Pocket is at his brainless, elderly liege's side when Lear—at the insidious urging of Edmund, the bastard (in every way imaginable) son of the Earl of Gloucester—demands that his kids swear their undying love and devotion before a collection of assembled guests. Of course Goneril and Regan are only too happy to brownnose Dad. But Cordelia believes that her father's request is kind of . . . well . . . stupid, and her blunt honesty ends up costing her her rightful share of the kingdom and earns her a banishment to boot.

Well, now the bangers and mash have really hit the fan. The whole damn country's about to go to hell in a handbasket because of a stubborn old fart's wounded pride. And the only person who can possibly make things right . . . is Pocket, a small and slight clown with a biting sense of humor. He's already managed to sidestep catastrophe (and the vengeful blades of many an offended nobleman) on numerous occasions, using his razor-sharp mind, rapier wit . . . and the equally well-honed daggers he keeps conveniently hidden behind his back. Now he's going to have to do some very fancy maneuvering—cast some spells, incite a few assassinations, start a war or two (the usual stuff)—to get Cordelia back into Daddy Lear's good graces, to derail the fiendish power plays of Cordelia's twisted sisters, to rescue his gigantic, gigantically dim, and always randy friend and apprentice fool, Drool, from repeated beatings . . . and to shag every lusciously shaggable wench who's amenable to shagging along the way.

Pocket may be a fool . . . but he's definitely not an idiot.

Pocket, King Lear's fool, sets out to straighten out the mess the mad king has made of the kingdom and the royal family, only to discover the truth about his own heritage.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fool by Christopher Moore was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,015,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible