Fool: A Novel by Christopher Moore

Fool: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Christopher Moore

Member:abby.of.the.year
Title:Fool: A Novel
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:William Morrow (2009), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2

Fool by Christopher Moore

Recently added byRachelLeah, ouroborosangel, private library, umopapisdn, eeblue, LitaVore, d.r.l., mgd014, shh
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (TheBoltChick)
    King Lear by William Shakespeare (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you haven't read (or seen) King Lear you won't get about 1/2 the jokes.
    A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley (Othemts)
    Othemts: A Lear by any other name.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (153)  German (1)  English (154)
Fool is Moore's humorous re-telling of Shakespeare's King Lear by the Fool of his court. If you have not read Moore before, be prepared to be Offended (the "O" capitalized on purpose here) but also to laugh out loud. By his own account, he has stolen various pieces of 5 of Shakespeare's most famous plays so this is not really an accurate King Lear, but it was wholly entertaining making me giggle frequently. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Nov 30, 2016 |
Witty writing, very entertaining, and insightful. I enjoyed this even more than I thought I would. It motivated me to read King Lear too, and although it differs from the original story in several important ways, it mostly follows the story and the characters. It therefore has a number of brutal scenes, but unlike King Lear has a much happier ending. ( )
  JBP11 | Nov 18, 2016 |
Christopher Moore bravely attempts to retell the Bard's 'King Lear' as a black comedy . . . And mostly succeeds. The book is funny (though not in the laugh-out-loud sense usually found in Moore's books), and the humor, at least to my unrefined senses, is of the type Shakespeare might have appreciated: bawdy, raunchy, and dirty. The sheer creativity and variety of the Fool's swears and insults is rather impressive.

The Fool, Pocket is a likeable-enough character, though you do feel occasionally guilty for liking himas much as you do. The other characters tend to be a bit two-dimensional, mostly existing as foils for Pocket's razor wit.

In all the story, while obviously familiar, is well told and enjoyable to wend through. The humor is black and very very raunchy, so be warned. This is not a book for the faint of heart or delicate of sensibility. However, for the twisted and immature at heart, who let's face it, already tend to like Christopher Moore's books, this is an excellent way to spend an afternoon. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |
blasphemy, I know, but I enjoyed this more than Shakespeare's Lear. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
Hmm. This was such a departure from Christopher Moore's other books that I'm honestly not sure what I thought of it. I didn't hate it, but I certainly wouldn't read it again. I think it's more the language he used. I'm fine with swearing and the like, but to have to read about sperm over and over ... it's just a little wearing. Maybe that's why I'm a little ambivalent about the book.
I'm just going to mark it as "read" and forget about it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

"Tosser!" cried the raven.
There's always a bloody raven.
Hung like an ox, Drool is - I suspect you'd extrude stools untapered for a fortnight
once Drool's laid the bugger to ya'.
Thus muted, I pumped my codpiece at the duke and tried to force a fart, but my bum trumpet could find no note.

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as nontraditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank . . . If that's the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!"

Verily speaks Christopher Moore, much beloved scrivener and peerless literary jester, who hath writteneth much that is of grand wit and belly-busting mirth, including such laurelled bestsellers of the Times of Olde Newe Yorke as Lamb, A Dirty Job, and You Suck (no offense). Now he takes on no less than the legendary Bard himself (with the utmost humility and respect) in a twisted and insanely funny tale of a moronic monarch and his deceitful daughters—a rousing story of plots, subplots, counterplots, betrayals, war, revenge, bared bosoms, unbridled lust . . . and a ghost (there's always a bloody ghost), as seen through the eyes of a man wearing a codpiece and bells on his head.

Fool

A man of infinite jest, Pocket has been Lear's cherished fool for years, from the time the king's grown daughters—selfish, scheming Goneril, sadistic (but erotic-fantasy-grade-hot) Regan, and sweet, loyal Cordelia—were mere girls. So naturally Pocket is at his brainless, elderly liege's side when Lear—at the insidious urging of Edmund, the bastard (in every way imaginable) son of the Earl of Gloucester—demands that his kids swear their undying love and devotion before a collection of assembled guests. Of course Goneril and Regan are only too happy to brownnose Dad. But Cordelia believes that her father's request is kind of . . . well . . . stupid, and her blunt honesty ends up costing her her rightful share of the kingdom and earns her a banishment to boot.

Well, now the bangers and mash have really hit the fan. The whole damn country's about to go to hell in a handbasket because of a stubborn old fart's wounded pride. And the only person who can possibly make things right . . . is Pocket, a small and slight clown with a biting sense of humor. He's already managed to sidestep catastrophe (and the vengeful blades of many an offended nobleman) on numerous occasions, using his razor-sharp mind, rapier wit . . . and the equally well-honed daggers he keeps conveniently hidden behind his back. Now he's going to have to do some very fancy maneuvering—cast some spells, incite a few assassinations, start a war or two (the usual stuff)—to get Cordelia back into Daddy Lear's good graces, to derail the fiendish power plays of Cordelia's twisted sisters, to rescue his gigantic, gigantically dim, and always randy friend and apprentice fool, Drool, from repeated beatings . . . and to shag every lusciously shaggable wench who's amenable to shagging along the way.

Pocket may be a fool . . . but he's definitely not an idiot.

Pocket, King Lear's fool, sets out to straighten out the mess the mad king has made of the kingdom and the royal family, only to discover the truth about his own heritage.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fool by Christopher Moore was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible