Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

True Colors by Kristin Hannah

True Colors (2009)

by Kristin Hannah

Too depressing. After 300 pages, I did something I very rarely do, I stopped reading the book. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This was one of those love to hate reads for me. I loved every minute, but I was angry so many times. I love how Kristin Hannah can pull out so many emotions from you, and this was no exception. The sisters relationships are complicated, and you there will be times you love them and hate them.

I put this on audiobook when I was driving for a work trip. I ended up listening to it that night as well, as I needed to finish and to find out what happened. I did want more from the ending as it was a little rushed where other parts dragged out.

Overall, I really enjoyed this! ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jun 5, 2018 |
Kristin Hannah is one of the (too many) authors on my to-read pile. I have a copy of a couple of her books, but fate has always intervened to prevent me from getting the book off the shelf. I was determined for this not to be third time unlucky when I was offered True Colours to read and review. Now of course, I am annoyed at myself for not reading Kristin Hannah sooner! This novel combined family relationships, love, suspense and some crime into an unexpected, riveting read. I think 2017 is going to be my year of the ‘new to me and absolutely fantastic’ author.

Initially, I wasn’t sure where this novel was going to head. It opens with the aftermath of the death of the Grey girls’ mother and then moves forward into the early 1990s where the girls are grown up. Aurora married a nice but boring doctor, Winona became a lawyer and Vivi Ann continues to work on the family ranch, Water’s Edge. (That really threw me having a farm so close to the beach – I’m more used to farms being inland and the ocean being a day trip away). Vivi Ann rides horses in barrel races to try and earn money for the struggling farm, but she seems to be fighting a losing battle. I began to wonder at this point if the story would be all about horses (people who know me would know that I like my horsepower wrapped in an engine). Luckily, for me, it wasn’t. It’s not a spoiler to say that the ranch begins to see better times, although both Vivi Ann and Winona are struggling. Winona is desperate for her father’s approval, which Vivi Ann seems to receive casually. To top it off, Vivi Ann is now dating Winona’s high school crush. How can sisters be so lucky and unlucky?

Unfortunately this is only the start of the Grey girls’ troubles. Winona hires an outsider, Dallas, to work on the farm and Vivi Ann sees far more in him than the others, despite being engaged to someone else. But it’s going to be a long hard road to happiness for the girls, if it comes at all...

One of the major plot points is unexpected and carries strongly through the latter half of the book, so I won’t be discussing it here. I felt that this lifted the book from a nice story about sisters and their lives to a gripping read that takes the story outside of the small town. It was very well done emotionally, tugging at the heartstrings of the reader, yet I was never entirely sure who was guilty… The whole story is very well written, right down to the mentions of the 1990s fashion (hairspray, shoulder pads and the like). I quite enjoyed this, and it was nice to not have the characters connected to their phones for the entire novel. It forced them to talk things out or on the other side, go to extraordinary lengths to avoid each other.

Each of the sisters goes through her own personal turmoil in various degrees of detail in True Colours and it’s interesting to compare them. Winona feels left out for many reasons – she’s not married, she thinks she’s fat and ugly and her career away from the ranch makes her feel alone and estranged from the rest of the family. She tries to cover it by being superior, but it often flies back in her face. Vivi Ann knows she has the love of her family, but is determined to stay independent and go through with life choices others don’t agree with. Aurora is much more of a background character – she’s sweet and dependable but the big events of her life don’t get much page time compared with the demands of her sisters. I wondered sometimes when she would get her chance to shine away from holding up Vivi Ann emotionally and doing Winona’s make up!

Overall, I really enjoyed this introduction to Kristin Hannah’s work. She can plot exceptionally well and bring her characters into the reader’s heart easily. Next stop, my bookshelf for more!

Thanks to Pan Macmillan for the copy of this book. My review is honest.

For more reviews, visit http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jan 26, 2017 |
True Colors is a novel by Kristin Hannah about three vastly different sisters who get torn apart by jealousy. Winona is a bookworm desperately seeking her father’s approval and takes care of her sisters after their mother passes away, Aurora is the middle child and peacekeeper, and Vivi Ann is the star of the family and the apple of her father’s eye. When a stranger comes into town, the true colors of these young women will be shown.

This is a fast paced novel that you will not be able to put down. I finished this novel in a single sitting because I could not put it down. The twists and turns will have you on the edge of your seat and trying to convince yourself not to look at the ending before you get there. I could not get this out of my head for weeks after I read it. This is one of the novels that will stay with you. This was my first Kristin Hannah novel and definitely not my last.
  alyssaross | Nov 8, 2016 |
A good read about 3 sisters and their relationship torn apart, mended, re-mended with jealousy, betrayal and passion. Winona the oldest is a lawyer with poor body imagine and jealousy of her younger sister. She wants Luke who loves Vivi Ann, the youngest,prettiest, and the one who falls for the bad boy Dallas Raintree. There also is Aurora who is in a loveless marriage. This book is really about what being a family is like, what having sisters is like. ( )
  Smits | Jul 5, 2016 |
Never before has the relationship between sisters been more accurately portrayed. In True Colors, Kristin Hannah takes on the complexities that are involved in not only family, but in the sister dynamics.

From page one, I could instantly relate to Winona, the oldest sister; the one who's job it is to protect her younger siblings, protect the family name, and keep an eye out for any potential issues that may arise. My heart broke for her when she chose to hide her love for Luke in order to allow her youngest sister a shot at true love. Who knew everything would blow up in her face.

Aurora is the one sister that I didn't connect to. It must be the fact that my family didn't have a middle child... there were no sides to choose when the cards were played. It was a position that is not to be envied. Choosing one sister over the other when you know that both are doing what they think is 100% right.

Vivi Ann is the sister that was most envious of and it seems so strange to say that because she dealt with the most heartache, the most upset and had the hardest life. However, she had true love; love that will conquer all. Who doesn't want that? Choosing love of a man over the love of your family shows just how amazing the relationship Vivi had with the love of her life was. It made me swoon.

Overall, the story seemed to have many ups and downs and I found that as I was feeling the book was slow and wasn't overly enjoying it, a surprise would come out of nowhere and I would be hooked once again. Kristin Hannah is an author who sets out to keep her readers interested from the very first page to the very last word.

What is passion? It is surely the becoming of a person... In passion, the body and the spirit seek expression... The more extreme and the more expressed that passion is, the more unbearable does life seem without it. It reminds us that if passion does or is denied, we are partly dead and that soon, come what may, we will be wholly so. - John Bookman, Film Director.
For the women who have come into our family and brightened us with their presence; Debra Edwards, John and Julie Gorset John. For two friends, Julie Williams and Andrea Schmidt. You made me laugh in the craziest of times, and I thank you. And, as always, to Benjamin and Tucker, without whom I would know so much less about life and love and joy.
Fifteen-year-old Winona Grey stared out at the waterfront ranch that had been in her family for four generations, looking for something that had changed.

The Grey sisters have always been close. After their mother's death, the girls banded together, becoming best friends. Their stern, disapproving father cares less about his children than about his reputation. To Henry Grey, appearances are everything, and years later, he still demands that his daughters reflect his standing in the community. Winona, the oldest, needs her father's approval most of all. An overweight bookworm who never felt at home on the sprawling horse ranch that has been in her family for three generations, she knows that she doesn't have the qualities her father values. But as the best lawyer in town, she's determined to someday find a way to prove her worth to him. Aurora, the middle sister, is the family peacemaker. She brokers every dispute and tries to keep them all happy, even as she hides her own secret pain. Vivi Ann is the undisputed star of the family. A stunningly beautiful dreamer with a heart as big as the ocean in front of her house, she is adored by all who know her. Everything comes easily for Vivi Ann, until a stranger comes to town...

In a matter of moments, everything will change. The Grey sisters will be pitted against one another in ways that none could have imagined.

Loyalties will be tested and secrets revealed, and a terrible, shocking crime will shatter both their family and their beloved town.

The Grey sisters have always been close. After their mother's death, the girls banded together, becoming best friends. Their stern, disapproving father cares less about his children than about his reputation. To Henry Grey, appearances are everything, and years later, he still demands that his daughters reflect his standing in the community. But in a matter of moments, everything will change. The Grey sisters will be pitted against one another in ways that none could have imagined...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,482,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible