Three Weeks to Say Goodbye by C. J. Box

Three Weeks to Say Goodbye (edition 2008)

by C. J. Box (Author)

3712029,183 (3.46)15
Member:PhaedraB
Title:Three Weeks to Say Goodbye
Authors:C. J. Box (Author)
Info:New York : Minotaur Books, 2009, c2008.
Collections:Read but unowned

Three Weeks to Say Goodbye by C. J. Box

0614 (1) 2009 (4) 2012 (3) adoption (18) adult (2) audio (2) C.J. Box (2) Calibre (2) Cody Hoyt (2) Colorado (5) corruption (3) crime (4) crime fiction (2) Denver (5) ebook (4) F (2) fiction (23) library (3) Montana (2) mystery (25) own (2) pedophile (4) pedophilia (2) read (3) read in 2011 (2) standalone (2) suspense (12) thriller (15) to-read (11) US (2)

English (19)  Swedish (1)  All languages (20)
This book was a big disappointment. Hackneyed plot, cardboard characters, very thin gruel indeed. C.J. Box is an incredibly talented writer, so the book is capable of pulling you in based on its excellent suspense mechanics and the heartbreaking premise. But at the end, it's like eating second rate junk food -- leaving you looking for some much higher quality brain nutrients. ( )
  diva0301 | Apr 24, 2013 |
I listened to this audio book while traveling. It was so poorly thought out that it was aggervating. Often I flirted with idea that listening to Rush Linbaugh might be better. I'm glad I got it at the library for free but I'll never have that time back.. ( )
  WinstonDog | Apr 4, 2013 |
I have not read any of C J Box’s long-running Joe Pickett series (primarily because I just don’t have the energy to launch into yet another series where I might be compelled to start at the beginning) but I am fast becoming a fan of his standalone thrillers. This one has a very good hook and kept me gripped right to the end. Jack and Melissa McGuane receive the worst news possible: their adopted daughter’s biological father, Garrett Moreland, never officially relinquished his parental rights and he, or at least his father, wants nine-month old Angelina. Garrett’s father is a well-respected Judge in Denver and has the law, money and considerable influence on his side. On their side the McGuanes have two old friends, Cody who is a detective with the Denver police and Brian a wealthy property developer, along with a fierce love for the daughter they have raised. Judge Moreland, claiming a desire to ensure his tearaway son accepts his responsibilities, offers the McGuanes a final three weeks to spend with Angelina before taking the baby into his own family. The mystery component to the story surrounds the McGuane’s growing belief that there is a more sinister reason for Judge Moreland’s demand to have Angelina.

The story is told in the first person from Jack’s point of view. This is a good voice for such an emotional story as it allows the raw frustration and impotence that Jack feels at not being able to save his family to really shine through. I’m sure the temptation would have been to tell this kind of story from the mother’s point of view but I think it was probably stronger for being told from the father’s perspective. The downside of using a first person narrative is, as always, that there are times when action is taking place that Jack can know nothing about and as a reader you do feel that at a couple of points that Jack is mulling over his situation again while the real plot is advancing elsewhere.

While the bad guys in this novel were pretty much rotten to the core the good guys offered more depth. The character of Cody for example was used to good effect to depict an ever-present tension between following the letter of the law and achieving justice which, as most of us probably believe, are not always the same thing. The slow disintegration of both Melissa and Jack in terms of their willingness to consider increasingly risky and illegal behaviour is also interesting if not always entirely believable in Jack’s case.

I did find the ending of the story a bit over the top and the very last chapter lost the book half a point on my personal rating scale for being just too cute and ‘preachy’ but overall I was entertained by the novel and was definitely rooting for the McGuanes. I am a bit weary of the crime and thriller genres being so dominated by series books so am pleased to have found another author who, at least every other year, is prepared to offer a story that can be read within the confines of a single book. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is one of the, if not THE best C. J. Box novel. The characters are very well done and the plot is equally good. I have the book on audio and the reader is excellent!!
  jvalenti | May 22, 2012 |
no more CJ BOx for me. Too ordinary and predictable ( )
  fordbarbara | Sep 13, 2011 |
The pistol-packing intervention of a deranged mountain man who may be ever so faintly on the side of the angels signals an eventual renunciation of theme in favour of action, but McGuane’s bootstrap heroism holds the interest.

The bloodthirsty hate the upright, and they seek the life of the righteous. An unjust man is an abomination to the just, and he who is upright is an abomination to the wicked. --Proverbs 29:10, 27
To Marc and Jenny ... and Laurie, always
It was Saturday morning, November 3, and the first thing I noticed when I entered my office was that my telephone message light was blinking.

Jack and Melissa McGuane have spent years trying to have a baby. Finally their dream has come true with the adoption of their daughter, Angelina. But nine months after bringing her home, they receive a devastating phone call from the adoption agency: Angelina’s birth father, a teenager, never signed away his parental rights, and he wants her back. Worse, his father, a powerful Denver judge, wants him to own up to this responsibility and will use every advantage his position of power affords him to make sure it happens. When Jack and Melissa attempt to handle the situation rationally by meeting face-to-face with the father and son, it is immediately apparent that there’s something sinister about both of them and that love for Angelina is not the motivation for their actions.

As Angelina’s safety hangs in the balance, Jack and Melissa will stop at nothing to protect their child. A horrifying game of intimidation and double crosses begins that quickly becomes a death spiral where absolutely no one is safe.

Nine months after bringing their adopted daughter Angelina home, Jack and Melissa McGuane receive a devastating phone call from the adoption agency: the birth father, a teenager and son of a powerful Denver judge, never signed away his parental rights, and he wants Angelina back.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,481,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible