How Hitler Could Have Won World War II: The…

How Hitler Could Have Won World War II: The Fatal Errors That Led to Nazi…

by Bevin Alexander

"How Hitler Could Have Won World War II illustrates the important battles and how certain key movements and mistakes by Germany were crucial in determining the war's outcome. Alexander's harrowing study shows how only minor tactical changes in Hitler's military approach could have changed the world we live in today." "How Hitler Could Have Won World War II untangles some of the war's most confounding strategic questions, such as: Why didn't the Nazis concentrate their enormous military power on the only three beaches upon which the Allies could launch their attack into Europe? Why did the terrifying German panzers, on the brink of driving the British army into the sea in May 1940, halt their advance and allow the British to regroup and evacuate at Dunkirk? With the chance to cut off the Soviet lifeline of oil, and therefore any hope of Allied victory from the east, why did Hitler insist on dividing and weakening his army, which ultimately led to the horrible battle of Stalingrad?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

A better title for this book would have been Hitler's mistakes that cost Germany the war. Alexander spends more time recounting the mistakes than presenting the possible results if Hitler had made different choices. It is, however, a good , concise account of the European Theater of Operations. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Nov 25, 2018 |
Book doesn't even bother to give what the title says. Retells historical events as they happened, but that isn't what I had in mind when reading this ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 29, 2013 |
I found it to be a good read. It got to the meat of the subject without all the BS. It once again proved Hilter was one of our best kept secret weapons. ( )
  Philip100 | Nov 30, 2011 |
How Hitler Could Have Won World War II: Although that's the title, it isn't actually the focus of the book itself. Alexander starts out decently - in the prologue he states how he believes Hitler could have won the war (by focusing on North Africa and the Middle East and not attacking Russia). After that, however, things go downhill.

The bulk of "How Hitler Could Have Won World War II" is a survey of the war itself, from the invasion of France to Germany's surrender. During parts of the narrative, there are connections made to the book's subtitle: "The Fatal Errors That Led To Nazi Defeat." Alexander takes a critical look at many of Hitler's military decisions, especially those that brought him into conflict with his generals. Although these "fatal mistakes" are mentioned, not much more is said about how Hitler could have won World War II.

Even as a history of the war, Alexander's book doesn't stand up very well. It is short (300 pages paperback) and is only able to give a cursory glance at much of what went on in the European theater. The Pacific theater is ignored. Alexander tends to focus disproportionately on events in North Africa and Italy, without giving the other fronts all the attention they deserve. This could be excusable if he used the opportunity to elaborate on his theory of how Hitler could have won - but unfortunately he does not.

Personally, I felt that "How Hitler Could Have Won World War II" was a decent book, but I felt it could have been better. It takes shape as little more than a brief history of World War II, and there are other books that do a much better job with that topic (like "The Second World War" by John Keegan). This book strikes me as one that should be borrowed from the library and read; if I were able to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't choose to buy it. ( )
1 vote daschaich | Jul 17, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,115,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible