Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar

Superman: Red Son (2004)

by Mark Millar (Writer), Dave Johnson (Illustrator), Kilian Plunkett (Illustrator)

Other authors: Andrew Robinson (Inker), Walden Wong (Inker)

Series: Superman (Elseworlds), DC Elseworlds (Superman)

8242411,002 (4)25

English (20)  French (3)  Finnish (1)  All languages (24)
Could you imagine if Superman landed in Canada instead of the United States? What if Joe Shuster tried to persuade Jerry Siegel that Clark Kent should grow up on a farm in Alberta or the snowy terrain of northern Manitoba? Or God help us, Newfoundland? What kind of a hero would he be then? Far too polite to get physical.

“It’s a bird! It’s a plane! Nah, that’s just Superman, eh.”

Fortunately for us, the readers, Mark Millar gives us a more interesting scenario. What if Superman landed in Ukraine and became a part of the USSR at the height of the Cold War?

Becoming the right hand man and the eventual successor to Joseph Stalin, Superman puts the power in the palm of Communist Russia. Unfortunately for the United States, the dramatic shift in power creates chaos at home. While they still have the brilliant scientist Lex Luthor to claim as their own, he becomes obsessed with figuring out how to defeat Superman rather than using his intellect to advance his own society.

What develops over the years is very interesting and Mark Millar guides us through an alternate timeline in world history. Just what would happen if “President Superman” ruled over Russia? Would he retain his values or would absolute power corrupt absolutely? The answers may surprise you.

This experiment had a multitude of ways it could fall flat on its face and only a select few that would cause it to succeed. Fortunately for DC, Millar knew the right road to take. While this is the only core Superman series I’ve yet read, I have a hard time believing it can be topped (at least in my opinion). I knew enough about the character and the DC universe to keep my head above water, so you don’t need to be a comics historian to catch the jokes and changes in certain superheroes and supervillains.

The only real problem I have is the ending. I don’t think it really needed to go quite as far as it did. It was interesting to see where everything ended up after the core conflict was settled but it seemed to go on and on and on. In the end, it’s merely a small complaint - I loved the hell out of this book.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
An interesting twist in this Elseworlds tale lands Superman in the Ukraine in 1938, where he comes to stand for truth, justice, and the Soviet way. Millar more than succeeds in recasting Superman's friends and rogues gallery as well as several DC regulars. The story, in a manner similar to "World War Z," examines hypothetical geopolitical scenarios after introducing an x-factor to history. Without giving away any spoilers, the ending sells the whole concept and allows this Elseworlds story to rise above the general "what if" plots to become a truly transcendent tale. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Mar 3, 2014 |
This was one of those interesting "what if" scenarios. What if Superman had crashed in the USSR instead of the USA? Though I was a little confused at first because they just throw you right into it and it talks about Sputnik satellites yet Stalin is still alive and then later we find out it's only 1953. Another confusing thing is Soviet characters kept exclaiming God and Jesus but a true Soviet worker's paradise would be devoid of religion. I'm just saying. I also can't help but think it might have been better without working other superheroes like Batman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern into it.

Anyway it did make for interesting reading with a fun twist at the end. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Clever, very clever, from start to finish.

However, I took exception to two things. First, the unrealistic portrayal of Joseph Stalin as both a devotee to communism rather than an atheoretical demagogue and a human being rather than what the Novaya Gazeta called a "bloodthirsty cannibal." The rise, rule, and brutal fall of Nikolai Yezhov, chairman of the NKVD, at the whims of Stalin provide a more realistic and interesting portrait of the "Man of Steel" and those who surrounded him. Second, the impossibility that Lex Luthor or Hal Jordan could have replicated Green Lantern Power Rings or impart Green Lantern powers onto an entire brigade of Marines. The Guardians of the Universe, who are virtually omniscient, would not have been pleased at such an abuse of their powers and I'm pretty sure they would've shut Luthor's GL Corps down before they fought the Last Son of Krypton. *Sigh*
  GYKM | Jul 4, 2013 |
From acclaimed writer Mark Millar (Ultimate X-Men), and artists Dave Johnson (100 Bullets) and Kilian Plunkett, comes a revolutionary alternate reality for Superman! It's an American nightmare! What if baby Superman had crashed on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain and grew up to become Stalin's right-hand man? And what if insane genius Lex Luthor was employed by the US government to develop their own countermeasure against the Man of Steel, turning the Cold War hot?! Alive with historical figures and starring a host of familiar superheroes, including Batman and Wonder Woman as you've never seen them before, this superb graphic novel takes the arms race and infuses it with the thrilling powers of Kryptonite! ( )
  silversurfer | Jun 17, 2013 |

Millar, MarkWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Plunkett, KilianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Robinson, AndrewInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wong, WaldenInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeSanto, TomIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lopez, KenLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the middle of the twentieth century, the telephones starting ringing all across America as rumors of my existence started circulating.

When the rocket carrying an infant Superman lands in the U.S.S.R. instead of the United States, his presence creates a very different universe for the familiar DC Comics characters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible