Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Just Ella (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Title:Just Ella
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix
Info:Simon Pulse (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (1999)

The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (meggyweg)
    Goose chase by Patrice Kindl (infiniteletters)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (foggidawn)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both stories are retellings of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella. I much prefer Ella Enchanted to Just Ella, however.
    The Rumpelstiltskin Problem by Vivian Vande Velde (meggyweg)

Very readable, but I wasn't impressed with the ending. ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
My favorite Cinderella retelling. (Although Ella Enchanted runs a very close second---considering it's more of a departure, I can say Just Ella is my favorite without diminishing the great Ella Enchanted.)

I thought the entire royal household was hilarious, several key scenes stick out--the conclusion was satisfying, romantic and clever! A Really enjoyable book.

Cinderella after the marriage. Interesting, a little quirky. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
This our is next selection for Mother/Daughter book club.
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
There were some pretty mature themes here, including the difference between love and lust. The war is a topic for conversation to the court, nothing more. There are questions of priorities and sacrifices - for example why is Madame Bisset so very perfectly mannered, and what are Ella and Jed willing to risk to have the life that matters to them?
It's a book you don't want to read lightly, as if you're 10, but rather read more carefully, when you're at least 14.

(I should rewrite this review some day for coherence, sorry I'm fuzzy-brained today.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Honestly, I genuinely liked this. It kind of had a "Mulan" feel to it. Can I say that? Is that such a thing? Anyway, it's a retelling of the Cinderella story we all grew up with, but Cinderella has to come to terms with the fact that her Prince Charming is not so charming after all. Instead, he's kind of a sluggish lark who does whatever his parents tell him to do. Unintelligent. Meek. Lame-o. Anyway, Ella defies the odds. She bucks the system. No fairy Godmother required. This is a very quick read but a nice respite of a read. It's simple storytelling at its best. It's not life-changing by any means but it is a good afternoon. And we all need that sometimes. ( )
  mrs.k.rippel | Apr 21, 2016 |
Meredith, Faith, Kristen, and Sarah
The fire had gone out, and I didn't know what to do.

Book Description Publication Date: 1999 In this continuation of the Cinderella story, fifteen-year-old Ella finds that accepting Prince Charming's proposal ensnares her in a suffocating tangle of palace rules and royal etiquette, so she plots to escape. Show More Show Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,813,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible