Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Just Ella (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Member:maddieperez
Title:Just Ella
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix
Info:Simon Pulse (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (1999)

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (meggyweg)
    Goose chase by Patrice Kindl (infiniteletters)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (foggidawn)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both stories are retellings of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella. I much prefer Ella Enchanted to Just Ella, however.
    The Rumpelstiltskin Problem by Vivian Vande Velde (meggyweg)

Ella defies her stepmother by attending the ball where she and Prince Charming fall in love. But during the engagement as she’s living at the palace, she finds that just because a fantasy comes true doesn’t mean it’s satisfying. She’s waited on hand and foot, and is trained in what she considers useless subjects. She realizes she no longer loves the prince, that it was all an infatuation, and her declaration to the prince that she won’t marry him lands her in the dungeon while the prince’s advisers hope she breaks down and gives in. She doesn’t, plots her escape and runs away to assist at a refugee camp run by Jed, one of her tutors and the only one of two friends she had at the castle. An interesting look at what real love is all about.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this. I love tales that are based on or twist fairy tales and Margaret Peterson Haddix is such a prolific teen author, but alot of the time I just felt frustrated when I read it. To me a lot of the characters felt like stereotypes, like they were never fully fleshed out. None of the characters ever did anything surprising, I could figure out what was going to happen based on their archetype.

***Spoiler***
I was also a little bothered by the ending. If Jed continues working for the Charmings, how are him and Ella supposed to end up together. I understand that it's important to stop the war; and a big part of the theme of the book was taking responsibility and doing something to change your situation not just being impassive but if felt like the author was setting up an impossible road block for them.
***End Spoiler***

However it wasn't all bad, I did like the way the Charmings chose to handle Cinderella's disapearance. I thought it was funny and I do hope that everyone involved got what they deserve out of the relationship. ( )

For
Meredith, Faith, Kristen, and Sarah
The fire had gone out, and I didn't know what to do.

Book Description Publication Date: 1999 In this continuation of the Cinderella story, fifteen-year-old Ella finds that accepting Prince Charming's proposal ensnares her in a suffocating tangle of palace rules and royal etiquette, so she plots to escape. Show More Show Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible