The Folklore of Discworld by Terry Pratchett

The Folklore of Discworld (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Terry Pratchett, Jacqueline Simpson

Member:penwing
Title:The Folklore of Discworld
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Jacqueline Simpson
Info:
Rating:**
Tags:discworld, folklore

The Folklore of Discworld by Terry Pratchett (2008)

Relates the folklore of Discworld to that of various societies on Earth in an amusing fashion. Mainly for fans.
  ritaer | Aug 31, 2014 |
I was most interested in this because of a scene in Lords and Ladies where Nanny dings a bell and awakens a warrior. Who could that be? I spent the early part of the book wondering if he would ever get around to explaining that. And he did! The audibook ended with a discussion between the authors that was interesting and had the added attraction of Pratchett singing a couple of folksongs ... one of which I was able to chime in with: Pleasant and Delightful. So, in a way I got to sing with Terry Pratchett! Woot!
  marfita | Jun 16, 2014 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book “The Folklore of Discworld”. I bought it only as a reference book to dip into from time to time. Having started, I read it from cover to cover and found it entertaining and informative. A really good read for discworld fans. ( )
  Novak | Nov 18, 2013 |
Definitely some interesting tidbits in this book that is really a set of essays. However, it lacks cohesion and proceeds from topic to topic. It is an interesting book but would have benefited from more cohesion. A fun take on the Discworld and folklore written in an interesting way. ( )
  leduck | Oct 19, 2013 |
Did you know there were so many different versions of these "well known and commonplace" folklores? ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, Jacquelinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Very vast is the expanding rubber sheet of the space-time continuum. Should we not call it infinite?

Terry Pratchett joins up with a leading folklorist to reveal the legends, myths and customs of Discworld, together with helpful hints from Planet Earth.

Most of us grew up having always known when to touch wood or cross our fingers, and what happens when a princess kisses a frog or a boy pulls a sword from a stone, yet sadly some of these things are beginning to be forgotten. Legends, myths, and fairy tales: our world is made up of the stories we told ourselves about where we came from and how we got here. It is the same on Discworld, except that beings, which on Earth are creatures of the imagination — like vampires, trolls, witches and, possibly, gods — are real, alive and, in some cases kicking, on the Disc.

In The Folklore of Discworld, Terry Pratchett teams up with leading British folklorist Jacqueline Simpson to take an irreverent yet illuminating look at the living myths and folklore that are reflected, celebrated and affectionately libelled in the uniquely imaginative universe of Discworld.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

Terry Pratchett teams up with leading British folklorist Jacqueline Simpson to give an irreverent yet illuminating look at the living myths and folklore that are reflected, celebrated and affectionately libelled in the uniquely imaginative universe of Discworld.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,354,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible