The Folklore of Discworld by Terry Pratchett

The Folklore of Discworld (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Terry Pratchett, Jacqueline Simpson

Other authors:Jacqueline Simpson
Info:Doubleday (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:**
Tags:discworld, folklore

The Folklore of Discworld by Terry Pratchett (2008)

I was pleasantly surprised by this book “The Folklore of Discworld”. I bought it only as a reference book to dip into from time to time. Having started, I read it from cover to cover and found it entertaining and informative. A really good read for discworld fans. ( )
  Novak | Nov 18, 2013 |
Definitely some interesting tidbits in this book that is really a set of essays. However, it lacks cohesion and proceeds from topic to topic. It is an interesting book but would have benefited from more cohesion. A fun take on the Discworld and folklore written in an interesting way. ( )
  leduck | Oct 19, 2013 |
Did you know there were so many different versions of these "well known and commonplace" folklores? ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
This book tries to be two things at once and fails at both.

On one hand it tries to be light and funny fare, and while it is indeed light and reads quickly, it is overly repetitive, rarely funny and fails to hold my interest.

On the other hand this book also tries to be a comprehensive overview of the folkloristic, mythological and cultural references in the Discworld books, but due to its structure and its constant switching between Discworld quotes and real-world counterpart it is annoying to use as a reference book.

So to conclude: although it contains some lines that will make you chuckle and some interesting facts you probably weren't aware of,The Folklore of Discworld, on the whole, is just not very interesting, nor very funny and therefore probably not worth your time unless you absolutely want to read everything written about Discworld. ( )
1 vote igorken | Jan 23, 2011 |
This I quite liked. I thought that it would either be a dry and dull record of the real folklore behind Terry's world, or an entirely silly mix of tales made up to explain certain happenings in the Discworld universe.
Instead, I found a pleasant blend of the two that somehow erased dull and dry and silly from the vocabulary. Easy to follow though I've only read the first four novels, and the lore behind the folk, both his and ours, is an interesting read. ( )
  Aldrea_Alien | Jul 5, 2010 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, Jacquelinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Very vast is the expanding rubber sheet of the space-time continuum. Should we not call it infinite?

Terry Pratchett joins up with a leading folklorist to reveal the legends, myths and customs of Discworld, together with helpful hints from Planet Earth.

Most of us grew up having always known when to touch wood or cross our fingers, and what happens when a princess kisses a frog or a boy pulls a sword from a stone, yet sadly some of these things are beginning to be forgotten. Legends, myths, and fairy tales: our world is made up of the stories we told ourselves about where we came from and how we got here. It is the same on Discworld, except that beings, which on Earth are creatures of the imagination — like vampires, trolls, witches and, possibly, gods — are real, alive and, in some cases kicking, on the Disc.

In The Folklore of Discworld, Terry Pratchett teams up with leading British folklorist Jacqueline Simpson to take an irreverent yet illuminating look at the living myths and folklore that are reflected, celebrated and affectionately libelled in the uniquely imaginative universe of Discworld.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

Terry Pratchett teams up with leading British folklorist Jacqueline Simpson to give an irreverent yet illuminating look at the living myths and folklore that are reflected, celebrated and affectionately libelled in the uniquely imaginative universe of Discworld.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible