dismiss

Breaking Dawn (2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (4)

33,74598945 (3.71)2 / 201
Although eighteen-year-old Bella joins the dark but seductive world of the immortals by marrying Edward the vampire, her connection to the powerful werewolf Jacob remains unsevered.
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (amybroad25)
    amybroad25: Amazing books Could not put any of them down Hoping that she will write another one about Bella and Edwards daughter renesmee
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Not Safe for Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (957)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Eskimo languages (1)  All languages (987)
rating: 1 star

you know when you're watching a movie and you think it's the end but then you pause it and you're not even halfway through and then you think it's the end but then you pause it and you're barely halfway through and they you think it's the end but then—

yeah.

this book was r o u g h to get through. like. r o u g h. really i just enjoyed like....seth? and i guess reneesme wasn't THAT bad but also. that whole situation with jacob...

honestly what's been said has been said about this book. it was long as heck. it was anti climatic (i mean really). there was a LOT of suddenly lore and forced explanations/exposition in the back half of it. and i truly did not care enough about the characters to be interested.

hope bella's human friends are doing well since they literally were not mentioned after the wedding. cool.

favorite/least favorite/i have these pinned on discord quotes:
-“if I hadn’t seen him undressed, I would have sworn there was nothing more beautiful than Edward in his khakis and pale beige pullover”
-“Like all bullies, they’re cowards underneath the swagger.”
-“Goodbye, Jacob, my brother… my son.”
-“You nicknamed my daughter after the Loch Ness Monster?”

it's been a time stephenie meyer. it's been a time indeed. ( )
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |
I put off reading this final book for years, because even some of the biggest fans found it disappointing. It definitely has its issues, but overall it entertains in the same bad-but-compulsive way the other books do. The biggest issue is part one, which largely consists of very immature happily-ever-after fantasies and a whole lot of "OMG EDWARD IS SOOOO HOT" crap. It improves enormously in Jacob's part, largely because Jacob is so much more interesting than Bella and Edward, even when he's largely talking about Bella and Edward. The third part was generally entertaining, but I did find the ending very anti-climactic. It seemed an odd choice for the final book in the series.

The most surprising thing for me was that I wasn't creeped out by the whole imprinting thing, like I had expected to be. Meyer somehow managed to make that almost acceptable, so yay? ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this series. These books aren't "good" by any stretch of the word and this one certainly was an example of how this series seems to both have way too much happening and tons of filler simultaneously. If you think too hard about the plot or the central romance you can find a million things that just don't quite make sense. And yet, every time I picked one of them up I found myself weirdly sucked in. ( )
  Jthierer | Apr 30, 2020 |
I loved this story book in the series. It finally wrapped up a lot of the characters. I enjoyed the character development and "growing up" that occurred. I especially enjoyed seeing Edward finally able to show Bella his true self through her non-human eyes. My only criticism is that there wasn't an epilogue (as in the other novels) to give insights into the future for Renesme and Jacob. Perhaps that would have been left a lot more satiated. Who knows maybe that means another future book is in the works? I can't wait for Edward's version of the story from the beginning. ( )
  tamara.fowler23 | Mar 30, 2020 |
my favorite out of the whole series so much action it's non-stop. I had stayed up all night reading this book between the wedding, the honeymoon, the pregnancy, and the everything after all that had me mesmorize that I couldn't sleep and had to know what happened next... until this book it was unknown for me to be captivated by a book this much that I was willing to risk losing sleep to finish. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.

Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.

I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss, and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or to pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fates of two tribes hangs.

Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable, consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in Twilight, then scattered and torn in New Moon and Eclipse - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed... forever?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,034,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible