Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Breaking Dawn (2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (4)

27,77189936 (3.78)2 / 165
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (871)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Eskimo languages (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (899)
To preface, I didn't like the first three books. As a result, I didn't have much hope for this going in.

The overall purpose of my reading this series is that I needed to understand the claims of many for myself that the Twilight books were fabulous, worth a read for anyone, a great romance story, and done a disservice by the movies. After finishing this last installment, I can definitively say that this is not so, at least for me.

What once was just dull, static, or otherwise creepy has become strange and disjointed. The plot is all over the place, and deus ex abounds. I generally felt that while the first three books had structure in their own right, this book fell apart by halfway through.

Character actions are often nonsensical and irrational, and development completely halts. The writing itself isn't great, and is a bit overwritten. Overall, I feel that there's nothing to gain by reading this - the story is a bit absurd, the characters shallow and unlikable, and the ending completely devoid of a moral or lesson that makes most stories great. It reads like a cheesy romance novel minus the eroticism (which can be a great thing, if done right), and geared at teen girls to boot.

In the end, I group this and the rest of the series as viral pop fiction, which were made excessively popular due to a rabid fan base that's unwilling to discuss the book's faults. More power to them, I'm happy that you enjoy what you read. However, I most certainly did not. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
I know I keep saying its a great series but it really really is! I recommend to everyone who likes romance and/or young adult novels. ( )
  AngelaFries | Apr 20, 2015 |
3-1/2 stars.

The completion of this series always seemed rather bittersweet to me. On one hand, you get closure on a lot of unknowns that have permeated the series, but on the other hand, you get a few more unknowns that you can't help but wonder about.

The old favorite characters feature prominently, but it always confuses me when an author introduces new characters so close to the end like this author did. You are left to wonder about the new players and no way of getting closure on the newest plot twists that are introduced, because the series is over and you are not going to get to know the characters any more than what is laid out in the pages you have already read.

There were not nearly as many inconsistencies in this final installment as there had been in some of the earlier books, so the writing style improves some.

I really don't know what it is about this series, though. It is not the best writing I have ever read, and one of the rare instances when I enjoy the movie more than the books, but I still keep coming back to it every couple of years. Maybe it is a matter of wanting to read something I know I already enjoy to clear a slump, maybe it is wanting to revisit old friends. For me, this series started it all. I hadn't read anything in so long, and then devoured these books in short order. Whatever the reason, I still enjoy it every time I pick it up, even with knowing already what is going to happen. I guess that says something. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
3-1/2 stars.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the creative stories and characters in this modern-day fairytale of the Twilight series, but sometimes Bella's personality drove me nuts. I also enjoyed the movies based on this series as well, tho' many professed that they were less desirable. ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.

Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.

I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

my book is about a girl named bella and an boy named edward who is a vanpire and bella finds out about him and they both fall in love but hes family are vampires too......

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031606792X, Hardcover)

Great love stories thrive on sacrifice. Throughout The Twilight Saga (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse), Stephenie Meyer has emulated great love stories--Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights--with the fated, yet perpetually doomed love of Bella (the human girl) and Edward (the vampire who feeds on animals instead of humans). In Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final installment in the series, Bella’s story plays out in some unexpected ways. The ongoing conflicts that made this series so compelling--a human girl in love with a vampire, a werewolf in love with a human girl, the generations-long feud between werewolves and vampires--resolve pretty quickly, apparently so that Meyer could focus on Bella’s latest opportunity for self-sacrifice: giving her life for someone she loves even more than Edward. How close she comes to actually making that sacrifice is questionable, which is a big shift from the earlier books. Even though you knew Bella would make it through somehow, the threats to her life, and to her relationship with Edward, had previously always felt real. It’s as if Meyer was afraid of hurting her characters too much, which is unfortunate, because the pain Bella suffered at losing Edward in New Moon, and the pain Jacob suffered at losing Bella again and again, are the fire and the heart that drive the whole series. Diehard fans will stick with Bella, Edward, and Jacob for as many twists and turns as possible, but after most of the characters get what they want with little sacrifice, some readers may have a harder time caring what happens next. (Ages 12 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:09 -0400)

In the fourth and final book in the #1 bestselling teen vampire Twilight Saga, questions will be answered and the fate of Bella and Edward will be revealed.

4 2089

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible