Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie…

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

28,50492633 (3.76)2 / 172
Member:madeleinescott
Title:Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:ATOM (2010), Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read November/December 2012

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (2008)

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (amybroad25)
    amybroad25: Amazing books Could not put any of them down Hoping that she will write another one about Bella and Edwards daughter renesmee
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (897)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Eskimo languages (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (926)
This book started out quite well... but it doesn't take long before the author suddenly, as if she's purposely trying to ruin the book, jumps the shark. It's as if she forgot that she was writing a vampire/human love story, and decided to turn completely sci-fi/horror. Gone was the weak and lovestruck, but ultimately lovable Bella. Instead, we got a girl whose motivations could no longer be identified with .
Pregnant. 17-year-old vampire Edward and 18-year-old human Bella.I can accept the marriage, because Edward will never get older, and they love each other.The fact that Meyer had made the ridiculously immature, but lovable and relatable teenager Bella pregnant was bad enough. But then it is with some weird, unknown mutant parasite, that saps all her strength, breaks several of her bones and causes various bruises, and makes her drink human blood. During Bella's pregnancy, I was literally shuddering with disgust on almost every page. That is not an exaggeration. And I'm 20.
The birth and Bella's transformation. This was hands-down the most disturbing passage I have read.Here, Bella, dieing and screaming in agony, vomits blood while the mutant baby inside of her destroys her body, internal organs and spine. Edward uses his teeth to bite the baby out of her uterus. Bella dies and then Edward injects vampire venom into her heart with a syringe.
The transformation was a disappointment. The vampire Bella was a disappointment. Of course she is the most beautiful, graceful, controlled, perfect vampire ever!She is infinitely more beautiful, graceful, powerful, inexplicably becomes supermom at 18, and still retains all the parts of her humanity she was afraid to lose. She has a child, she stays in Forks, and tells her family.
Jacob, the cute and friendly guy who is painfully in love with and loyal to Bella,falls in love with her newborn baby. This is beyond sick and pedophilic. But it's ok. He's willing to "share" the baby with Bella and Edward. Bella and Edward quickly realize this whole thing is great.If it weren't bad enough that this annoyingly perfect child that absolutely everyone in the book adores exists, she is destined to be with Jacob.
The only worthwhile reason to read Breaking Dawn is to finally end this nightmarish obession with the Cullens and to satisfy one's curiosity as to how the series ends. Besides that, the book is useless. I had to force myself to read the entire thing. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
What a paradox this novel is. It is somehow both brilliant and awful between the same two covers, and I wish I could reconcile the two.

The opening--the wedding and blissful island honeymoon--is about as saccharine as the inch-thick icing on Bella's towering wedding cake. You can almost smell the Vaseline and gauze on the camera lens. Cue the violins. But then Bella discovers she's pregnant, and suddenly the novel shifts dangerously close to a serious discussion of abortion rights and teen (albeit in wedlock) pregnancy, and things get a lot more interesting. And then, in what was I think a genuinely brilliant move on Meyer's part, she drops Bella entirely and shifts the narrative perspective to Jacob. This is much different than Edward's much-needed absence in the second book; here, Bella herself disappears into a sweaty pregnant near-comma, utterly incapable of telling her own story, and Jacob takes over the narration in a voice that is blunt, brutish, and extremely refreshing. I understand Meyer is rewriting the first novel from Edward's perspective; I haven't read the opening chapter of that yet (it's on her website), but I already think it's a mistake--she needs to spend a LOT more time with Jacob. His section of this novel is the best writing I've seen in this whole series: the language is precise and observant and mythical without ever resorting to overblown Gothic melodrama, while the narrator himself is clearly flawed, realistic, and embracing. Jacob is, I think, the narrator who should have been telling this story all along.

Better still, we finally get a genuine sense of violence in this book, with a brutally gory description of half-vampire birth that serves as a terrific metaphor for actual birth. I've heard there has been some backlash regarding that violent depiction, but let's be honest here--birth ain't pretty, and we come into this world screaming for a reason. It's about time Meyer put some blood in this series, and if she had to hold back till now, she certainly picked the right place to get messy and terrifying.

But then the narrative shifts back to Bella, who--now a vampire--is, surprise surprise, practically a superhero. She is the "perfect" vampire, resisting any evil as naturally as breathing, and learning to control her new preternatural body as easily as learning to ride a bicycle. Please. Where's Jacob? He at least forgets to tie his clothes on now and then and has to go running through the forest naked--that's a REAL character. And the ending, the great-granddaddy of all vampire showdowns, written as though it belonged in a dusty alley in Dodge City instead of the damp backwoods of the Pacific Northwest, turned into an overrated debate match. There were some cool superpowers on display, I suppose, but I'd rather have read an issue of X-Men, for all the good those superpowers did the story. No one got into a single scrap--there were barely even any nasty looks or guttural snarls--and the only person to bite it (pardon the pun) was a temporary bitch no one really cared about anyway. The stakes were high in this series climax, but the consequences drifted away on the wind--no one paid any price at all. If you ask me, a happy ending has to be bought with blood or sacrifice, and this one was handed over with a big pretty bow and a Christmas bonus to boot.

When Meyer writes a werewolf novel, I'll be back for more. Until then, I think I'm done with this author. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
Wowza! SPOILER ALERT!!!! Don't read further unless you never plan on reading the book!

So I wanted to strangle Bella with my bare hands for the first third of the book. Argh! So typical though. I was unbelievably frustrated about the change in perspective for the 2nd third....I guess it was a nice break from insane Bella, but it seemed a little strange to only have Jacob and Bella's perspective. But it did make sense when he finally imprints on Nessie.

I thought it was a little convenient to have Bella just sort of breeze through being a newborn...it seemed like a LOT of gifts to have, you know? I did think her "gift" of being a shield was cool and made sense though.

I know it's a little "wrapped up in a nice bow" but I gotta say I love this happily ever after ending. Everyone's happy, although there is still a vague threat of Volturi in the distant future. A satisfying ending. I'm not sort of aching for it like other series enders (like His Dark Materials, when I cried for several hours!). It was just satisfying - no real loose ends. Sigh. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Finally Bella contributes more then whining and getting into trouble and has her own strength. Actually quite enjoyed this one. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book much more than I anticipated-I couldn't put it down and finished it in less than 48 hours! Quite an accomplishment lately considering my two under two! I don't feel like the story is really complete, there is quite a bit of room for another sequel. Also it felt like it was very rushed near the end-the climax and conclusion all happen in the last 20 pages. ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.

Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.

I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

my book is about a girl named bella and an boy named edward who is a vanpire and bella finds out about him and they both fall in love but hes family are vampires too......

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031606792X, Hardcover)

Great love stories thrive on sacrifice. Throughout The Twilight Saga (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse), Stephenie Meyer has emulated great love stories--Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights--with the fated, yet perpetually doomed love of Bella (the human girl) and Edward (the vampire who feeds on animals instead of humans). In Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final installment in the series, Bella’s story plays out in some unexpected ways. The ongoing conflicts that made this series so compelling--a human girl in love with a vampire, a werewolf in love with a human girl, the generations-long feud between werewolves and vampires--resolve pretty quickly, apparently so that Meyer could focus on Bella’s latest opportunity for self-sacrifice: giving her life for someone she loves even more than Edward. How close she comes to actually making that sacrifice is questionable, which is a big shift from the earlier books. Even though you knew Bella would make it through somehow, the threats to her life, and to her relationship with Edward, had previously always felt real. It’s as if Meyer was afraid of hurting her characters too much, which is unfortunate, because the pain Bella suffered at losing Edward in New Moon, and the pain Jacob suffered at losing Bella again and again, are the fire and the heart that drive the whole series. Diehard fans will stick with Bella, Edward, and Jacob for as many twists and turns as possible, but after most of the characters get what they want with little sacrifice, some readers may have a harder time caring what happens next. (Ages 12 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

In the fourth and final book in the #1 bestselling teen vampire Twilight Saga, questions will be answered and the fate of Bella and Edward will be revealed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,262,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible