Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie…

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

28,87294032 (3.76)2 / 175
Member:madeleinescott
Title:Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:ATOM (2010), Paperback, 720 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read November/December 2012

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (2008)

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (amybroad25)
    amybroad25: Amazing books Could not put any of them down Hoping that she will write another one about Bella and Edwards daughter renesmee
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (906)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Eskimo languages (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (935)
This series was my very Favorite PNR Romance

Found this video Last night ;-) Your Welcome

Love The Way You Lie ( )
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
The only thing I don't love about Breaking Dawn is that it means the Saga is over. I love the challenges, Bella's love for her child and Edward, and how Jacob finally fits into the picture without it hurting anyone. I was also pleased to see what Bella brought to her new life. Awesome! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Not as good as the first ( )
  angela.k.winters | Apr 1, 2016 |
ALERT: SPOILERS AHEAD

When you can live forever, what do you live for?

This question punctuated by a mood setting beat flashes through the screen in the trailer for the movie Twilight.

As Twilight begins, for Edward, the 108 years old vampire, who has been 17 for “a while”, the answer is attending high school.

Last September as I dragged myself from class to class following my 12 year old busy schedule against a flow of other similarly stressed parents, I pondered this bizarre choice. Why would a 108 year old man, even one who looks like a Greed god, and his gorgeous siblings want to spend their days in high school?

It is not to make friends: The Cullens keep to themselves and do not mix with humans. And wouldn’t college be more appropriate if they wanted to study?

The only reason seems to be that the author needs Edward in High School so he meets Bella.

This is only one of many times in the series where nonsensical things happen just because the author needs the plot to go there.

For instance, going back to the trailer: we are shown images of the fight scene in the dance studio. This is "the" action scene in a book lacking in action. And yet, can anyone explain to me how and why Bella makes it there alone?

There are more examples:

In New Moon, Edward leaving Bella is but an obvious device to keep them separated and justify another book.

The phone call where Edward thinks Jacob is talking about Bella’s funeral is contrived.

By the end of New Moon the Volturi tell Edward Bella has to become a vampire or they will kill her. But Edward still refuses for another book. How is he planning to fool the Volturi is never explained.

In Eclipse, there is a snow storm in summer time that comes out of nowhere to justify Jacob getting close to Bella, and Edward staying with them to stage the battle scene.

The plot of the three books can be summarized as follows: Girl meets boy. Boy is a vampire. Girl wants to be a vampire too so they can be together. Boy refuses because he thinks vampires are killers. Boy finally agrees to make her a vampire.

The three first books deal with the romance, the unfulfilled love and the question of whether Edward and Bella will end together or not.

Breaking Dawn is different. By the end of Eclipse Bella has chosen Edward and Edward has agreed to make her a vampire. As BD starts they get married.

For many fans BD doesn’t work because once they are married the question is answered and the romantic tension disappears.

That is not my main criticism of BD.

There are many reasons why BD doesn’t work for me. Plot inconsistencies, scientific impossibilities, terrible pacing to name a few.

For instance:

Edward didn’t want Bella to become a vampire because vampires are killers. Werewolves exist to kill them for that very reason: to protect the humans. But as soon as Bella becomes a vampire, vampires are not evil anymore. Of course the Cullens don't kill humans. Yet when the Cullens need help from other vampires, they invite them over, and neither Bella nor her new family seem to mind too much that they are killing people. The werewolves don’t do anything either.

Emmett at the beginning of New Moon goes feral upon smelling Bella's blood. This is the reason that prompts Edward to leave her. He wants to protect her from the potential threat vampires pose. At this point in the story we are lead to believe vampires are evil and must fight their instincts constantly or they would kill.

Yet when Bella becomes a vampire, the struggle is minimized to the point of non existence. Accepting the premise that vampires are always only a step away from going into a killing spree would challenge the "perfect happy world" Ms. Meyer wants to create.

But if vampires are not evil, Edward’s reluctance to make Bella a vampire the one and only reason they didn't end up together in book one disappears.

The Cullens break human rules constantly. I guess to be otherworldly beautiful gives them the right. For instance, Edward gets Bella admitted into Dartmouth College and no one seemed to think this is totally unethical.

I agree with other reviewers that the conflict with the Volturi is anticlimactic and unrealistic.

There is no doubt that the Volturi are killers. We have seen this in the gruesome scene at the end of [b:New Moon|49041|New Moon (The Twilight Saga, Book 2)|Stephenie Meyer|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414jgcy2FAL._SL75_.jpg|3203964] where innocent Italian tourists are killed. They even kill vampires (innocent or otherwise). They kill one of the Cullen's friends in BD. Wouldn’t the Cullens want to put an end to their power?

Apparently not. As long as they don't challenge their family directly, they do nothing.

Ms. Meyer’es excuse for avoiding the battle is that in a battle some of the “good” vampires would have died and she wanted a happy ending. And so the Volturi leave and nothing is solved.

Another inconsistency: According to the Volturi’s rules Charlie couldn't live as he knows part of the truth about vampires.

Now for the baby and the scientific explanations: they are ridiculous.

Dead is dead. Vampires may have poison, but to make a baby you need a spermatozoid and that is quite a different matter.

Simplifying: a poison is a chemical compound with a complexity of one. A spermatozoid has a complexity of millions.

To compare a poison with a spermatozoid is like comparing a word with a book. They are both made of letters (atoms the former). But the book is a little more complex.
Besides, the spermatozoid is alive. Extending the analogy: a book is not only a group of words, but a group of words that tells a story.

Again spermatozoids are alive. Vampires are not. Ergo, vampires cannot make spermatozoids.

As for the number of chromosomes. Vampires, we are told, have 25 pairs of chromosomes, Humans 23. Trust me on this or look it up in your 10th grade Biology book. If the egg has 23 chromosomes and the spermatozoid 25, the resulting cells do not have 24. Some cells will have 23, others 24, others 25. The cells will not be viable.
I am not being picky. I love Science Fiction. I am aware that the science in SF books is false. Yet it must make a little bit of sense.

Angel, the vampire from the series Angel, also has a son with another vampire. In the imaginary world created in this series, vampires cannot have children either. But at least they don't try to explain it, it is still impossible, they say, an anomaly. And because they don’t try to explain it, I suspend my disbelief.

A recent book about vampires that uses science really well is Peeps by Scott Westerfeld.

What bothers me the most about BD is the fact that by becoming a vampire Bella becomes beautiful and that solve all her problems.

For three books she has whined that she is ugly and thus doubts that Edward loves her. But now that she is a vampire and beautiful, she doesn’t doubt anymore. I found the implied message that self-confidence is tied to good looks disturbing.

As a reader I can’t deny the Twilight series is engaging in the sense that you can’t put it down. The author manages to keep you reading with a suspense "a la Hitchcock". Hitchcock is called the “Master of Suspense” because he builds his movies with scenes that keep you thinking something terrible is going to happen. It is only when the movie is over that you realized that nothing much has really happened, and that, most of the times, the “thing” that kept the action going was an excuse.

Ms. Meyer similarly creates suspense out of nothing. Judging by her millions of fans she does it quite successfully.

As a writer, I found the Twilight series seriously lacking. The characters are shallow, the plot almost non-existent, the pacing sluggish, and the storyline full of contradictions.

Now that the series is over and I can look at the story with perspective what strike me most is the futility of it all. Bella never doubts she wants to be a vampire. I am not surprised. As a human she didn’t have much of a life. But it is not only Bella who had no life. Edward had none either. For an immortal he has had a pretty uneventful past. For one who is going to live forever he seems to have no plans for the future.

As for the question: When you can live forever, what do you live for? For Bella in BD the answer is simple: Sex. Sex, it seems, is all she ever wanted.

Seriously, what does this family of super talented vampires live for?

There is no mysterious higher purpose as the haunting music suggests in the trailer. Except for Carlile that works as a doctor, the rest of the Cullens do nothing but enjoy their own shallow existence.

The world Twilight conjures is the ultimate teenage fantasy. A world of beautiful people, eternally young, that do not need jobs or have to worry about money, or disease.
They live in a happy present without worries of a future that will be more of the same.

Teenagers are narcissistic current research indicates (something to do with their front lobe not been totally developed) and thus, because their emphatic abilities are impaired, they have an excuse to be so self-centered. What is the vampires excuse?

Yes, I know, most of us humans don’t do much for others either. But we don’t have superpowers and as Spiderman puts it “With big power, comes big responsibility.”

The fact that I am taking wisdom from a comic book hero, underlines my problem with the Twilight characters: Bella and the Cullens are so narcissistic that even comic superheroes seem deep by comparison.

Don’t get me wrong. I am all for romantic love and happy endings (Listening to Jacques Brel declaiming Ne me quitte Pas/Don’t leave me in YouTube gives me goose bumps) but Bella and Edward are too self-involved to engage my sympathy.

I may be old-fashioned but I like my heroes/heroines a little more . . . heroic?
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
My favorite of the four books, I liked the end. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.

Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.

I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

my book is about a girl named bella and an boy named edward who is a vanpire and bella finds out about him and they both fall in love but hes family are vampires too......

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031606792X, Hardcover)

Great love stories thrive on sacrifice. Throughout The Twilight Saga (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse), Stephenie Meyer has emulated great love stories--Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights--with the fated, yet perpetually doomed love of Bella (the human girl) and Edward (the vampire who feeds on animals instead of humans). In Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final installment in the series, Bella’s story plays out in some unexpected ways. The ongoing conflicts that made this series so compelling--a human girl in love with a vampire, a werewolf in love with a human girl, the generations-long feud between werewolves and vampires--resolve pretty quickly, apparently so that Meyer could focus on Bella’s latest opportunity for self-sacrifice: giving her life for someone she loves even more than Edward. How close she comes to actually making that sacrifice is questionable, which is a big shift from the earlier books. Even though you knew Bella would make it through somehow, the threats to her life, and to her relationship with Edward, had previously always felt real. It’s as if Meyer was afraid of hurting her characters too much, which is unfortunate, because the pain Bella suffered at losing Edward in New Moon, and the pain Jacob suffered at losing Bella again and again, are the fire and the heart that drive the whole series. Diehard fans will stick with Bella, Edward, and Jacob for as many twists and turns as possible, but after most of the characters get what they want with little sacrifice, some readers may have a harder time caring what happens next. (Ages 12 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

In the fourth and final book in the #1 bestselling teen vampire Twilight Saga, questions will be answered and the fate of Bella and Edward will be revealed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,931,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible