HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie…
Loading...

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
27,86790435 (3.78)2 / 168
Member:madeleinescott
Title:Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:ATOM (2010), Paperback, 720 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read November/December 2012

Work details

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (2008)

  1. 196
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
  2. 187
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
  3. 157
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
  4. 51
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
  5. 31
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
  6. 31
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
  7. 21
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
  8. 54
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
  9. 11
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
  10. 44
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
  11. 44
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
  12. 34
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
  13. 310
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (875)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Eskimo languages (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (903)
Showing 1-5 of 875 (next | show all)
Meh. I originally started reading Twilight because all of my friends at school were/had read/ing it. I liked it, but more or less just read Breaking Dawn to finish the series. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I personally felt it was the best out of the four. More action compared to the rest, but it had to sacrifice the nice amount of character development that the first three had. I was hoping for more of an emotional impact, and a return on the time I invested in the series, but I didn't get that. A good quick read, but nothing more. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
EDIT , ABRIL 2014

ESTOY haciendo un poco de revisionismo en mis reseñas (ya que en estos dias de paro de profesores y un continuo estudio no puedo concentrarme lo que quisiera en la lectura) ... y me acorde de AMANECER .

Dejando de lado el asco que me provocan muuuuuuuuchas cosas del libro en su totalidad , no puedo dejar de acordarme lo mucho que me gusto el final ; y con "final" me refiero a la batalla que no es batalla , al hecho de que Meyer haya decidido resolver el conflicto de forma pacifista y no con una gran y ridicula guerra .

Me acuerdo de la decepcion general que se propago entre mis compañeros crepusculeanos cuando no hubo derramamiento de sangre ; y en medio de eso , de las decenas de voces indignadas por un "climax" que nunca se alcanzo , me acuerdo de mi misma pensando pero no estuvo tan mal! -algo que sigo pensando el dia de hoy y razon por la cual le doy dos estrellas y no una .

Me encanta , me fascina que la autora haya elegido ese camino . Que entre todas sus patrañas mormonas , al menos haya entendido que No todo tiene que ir por el lado belico y destructivo ; que no todos los finales son amargos y estan marcados por la muerte insipida y el dolor al pedo .AUnque a muchos lectores les parezca increible e imposibles -SI ! Puede darse , puede pasar que LOs conflictos se resuelvan pacificamente cuando hay charlas de por medio ; cuando hay representantes de un lado y del otro que llegan a un acuerdo sin necesidad de que mueran inocentes .

Hoy pienso que si l primera parte de la novela (la patetica luna de miel , el patetico embarazo y etc etc etc) , AMANECER hubiera tenido mas potencial , hubiese sido mas que una mera novela de el sexo el malo , el aborto es un crimen y todo el conjunto de patrañas anti-mujer que hay implicitas .

-----------------------------

Encontré el final perfecto :



Que suerte que existía Buffy cuando tenia once años .
( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
It was a phase, that is all I can say. Going back and reading the stories, I can find so many issues with all three of the books. I can only say that it was a phase. Caught up in the movie hype along with the romantic storyline, I can now see why so many people hated this whole series. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 24, 2015 |
To preface, I didn't like the first three books. As a result, I didn't have much hope for this going in.

The overall purpose of my reading this series is that I needed to understand the claims of many for myself that the Twilight books were fabulous, worth a read for anyone, a great romance story, and done a disservice by the movies. After finishing this last installment, I can definitively say that this is not so, at least for me.

What once was just dull, static, or otherwise creepy has become strange and disjointed. The plot is all over the place, and deus ex abounds. I generally felt that while the first three books had structure in their own right, this book fell apart by halfway through.

Character actions are often nonsensical and irrational, and development completely halts. The writing itself isn't great, and is a bit overwritten. Overall, I feel that there's nothing to gain by reading this - the story is a bit absurd, the characters shallow and unlikable, and the ending completely devoid of a moral or lesson that makes most stories great. It reads like a cheesy romance novel minus the eroticism (which can be a great thing, if done right), and geared at teen girls to boot.

In the end, I group this and the rest of the series as viral pop fiction, which were made excessively popular due to a rabid fan base that's unwilling to discuss the book's faults. More power to them, I'm happy that you enjoy what you read. However, I most certainly did not. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 875 (next | show all)
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.
 
Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.
 
I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary
 
Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.
 

» Add other authors (14 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
Dedication
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
First words
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
Quotations
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

Book description
my book is about a girl named bella and an boy named edward who is a vanpire and bella finds out about him and they both fall in love but hes family are vampires too......
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031606792X, Hardcover)

Great love stories thrive on sacrifice. Throughout The Twilight Saga (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse), Stephenie Meyer has emulated great love stories--Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights--with the fated, yet perpetually doomed love of Bella (the human girl) and Edward (the vampire who feeds on animals instead of humans). In Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final installment in the series, Bella’s story plays out in some unexpected ways. The ongoing conflicts that made this series so compelling--a human girl in love with a vampire, a werewolf in love with a human girl, the generations-long feud between werewolves and vampires--resolve pretty quickly, apparently so that Meyer could focus on Bella’s latest opportunity for self-sacrifice: giving her life for someone she loves even more than Edward. How close she comes to actually making that sacrifice is questionable, which is a big shift from the earlier books. Even though you knew Bella would make it through somehow, the threats to her life, and to her relationship with Edward, had previously always felt real. It’s as if Meyer was afraid of hurting her characters too much, which is unfortunate, because the pain Bella suffered at losing Edward in New Moon, and the pain Jacob suffered at losing Bella again and again, are the fire and the heart that drive the whole series. Diehard fans will stick with Bella, Edward, and Jacob for as many twists and turns as possible, but after most of the characters get what they want with little sacrifice, some readers may have a harder time caring what happens next. (Ages 12 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:09 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

In the fourth and final book in the #1 bestselling teen vampire Twilight Saga, questions will be answered and the fate of Bella and Edward will be revealed.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 16 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.78)
0.5 99
1 539
1.5 80
2 729
2.5 157
3 1439
3.5 301
4 2098
4.5 255
5 3319

Audible.com

4 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible