Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga) by…

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga) (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Stephenie Meyer

28,00190935 (3.78)2 / 169
Member:dixielandcountry.com
Title:Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 2 Pap/Pstr, Paperback, 768 pages
Rating:*****

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (2008)

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (amybroad25)
    amybroad25: Amazing books Could not put any of them down Hoping that she will write another one about Bella and Edwards daughter renesmee
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (881)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Eskimo languages (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (909)
Spoiler alert - Meyer does a decent job of carrying the romance past a wedding and a kid - not an easy feat! But this book suffered as the romance dwindled and the fantasy came forward. There were too many new rules introduced for this world we'd already lived in for three books. It felt contrived. These books are romances, and should have ended at the wedding! ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
Coming soon, after I've settled down. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
The short review: If you'd like to read something from the Twilight universe so you can feel culturally literate and cool, read online summaries of the first three books so you have a sense of what's going on, and then read this one.

The longer review: If you hadn't read the first three books, you'd never know from reading this one that Edward routinely treated Bella like an idiot (see my previous reviews and, oh, probably the entire freakin' Internet).

You'd certainly never know that Bella put up with being stalked, threatened, manipulated, controlled, and gaslighted because the alternative would be – oh, noes! – speaking up for herself.

Bella in this last Twilight novel tells Edward to stop ruining her good time on their honeymoon when he tries to pull his usual "But I'm bad for you, Bella" nonsense. "We're married and I want a sex life and it's called a honeymoon, so shut up and get over here, already," she (more or less) replies. And he does. (Eventually. There's still some brooding, but waaay less than there would have been if Bella hadn't told him to put a sock in it.)

Bella makes her own decisions about her own body when Edward tries to arrange for her to have an abortion without even telling her. Either he takes it as a given that she'll go along with whatever he says, or he doesn't care what she thinks – this is going to happen. Except it isn't. She rallies her troops and stands up to him when she's not even strong enough to literally physically stand up.

She eats her cake and has it, too (which is how the saying used to go, back when it made sense) by getting to have a baby with the vampire she loves and getting to become a vampire herself. And thanks to how things work in this universe, she gets to be the baddest-ass vampire on the block – at least for a while.

Edward stops being such a condescending berk and treats her with respect, admiration, and utter trust. He has faith in her strength and is proud of her abilities. (Where the hell was all this good behavior back when she was human? Maybe it's not that these books are sexist so much as Edward is racist. Or speciesist. Or deadist. Whatever you'd call it.)

I liked that Bella got to have a lot of fun being powerful for once. She also enjoys her new supernatural good looks without letting them go to her head.

A friend of mine warned me that the climax of this book is a bit of a cock-tease (my words, not hers), and the surprise at the very very end was a huge disappointment to her. I see her point, but I was actually fine with all of it. I even kind of liked the surprise, since I thought it reinforced the idea of Bella being in control.

Conclusion: This book was on top of my lunchtime reading material stack, and it didn't get demoted or shuffled down once. I found it an engaging and enjoyable read, and if the previous novels had been like this one, I'd have liked them just fine, even with the love triangle and insta-love. I mean, they wouldn't have been my Most Favoritest Books Of All Time Ever, but they wouldn't have made me scream.

So. There. I read all the Twilight books.

Now I just have to survive Fifty Shades of Grey, and then I can finally read that stupid Chuck Palahniuk book and explain all the references to my friend. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
An interesting end for the Twilight series. This story was definitely of a different ilk (in my opinion)but it was good overall.
I don't usually go in for the whole happily-ever-after spiel, but i enjoyed it here.

Definitely a series i would recommend. ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.

Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.

I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

my book is about a girl named bella and an boy named edward who is a vanpire and bella finds out about him and they both fall in love but hes family are vampires too......

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031606792X, Hardcover)

Great love stories thrive on sacrifice. Throughout The Twilight Saga (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse), Stephenie Meyer has emulated great love stories--Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights--with the fated, yet perpetually doomed love of Bella (the human girl) and Edward (the vampire who feeds on animals instead of humans). In Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final installment in the series, Bella’s story plays out in some unexpected ways. The ongoing conflicts that made this series so compelling--a human girl in love with a vampire, a werewolf in love with a human girl, the generations-long feud between werewolves and vampires--resolve pretty quickly, apparently so that Meyer could focus on Bella’s latest opportunity for self-sacrifice: giving her life for someone she loves even more than Edward. How close she comes to actually making that sacrifice is questionable, which is a big shift from the earlier books. Even though you knew Bella would make it through somehow, the threats to her life, and to her relationship with Edward, had previously always felt real. It’s as if Meyer was afraid of hurting her characters too much, which is unfortunate, because the pain Bella suffered at losing Edward in New Moon, and the pain Jacob suffered at losing Bella again and again, are the fire and the heart that drive the whole series. Diehard fans will stick with Bella, Edward, and Jacob for as many twists and turns as possible, but after most of the characters get what they want with little sacrifice, some readers may have a harder time caring what happens next. (Ages 12 and up) --Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

In the fourth and final book in the #1 bestselling teen vampire Twilight Saga, questions will be answered and the fate of Bella and Edward will be revealed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,060,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible