Angelmass by Timothy Zahn

Angelmass (2001)

by Timothy Zahn

Other authors: Paul Youll (Cover artist)

"Scientists on the planet Seraph within the "lost" independent human colonies of the Empyrean have encountered "angels" mysteriously emitted by a black hole. These angels hold the ability to render people within close proximity reasonable, calm, and virtually incapable of lying. The Empyrean has harnessed their power, distributing them to all members of their government, in an attempt to promulgate peace among their people." "But the leaders of the Earth-based Empire, the Pax, view the angels as an extreme danger to mankind. Amid rumors that the angels are the linchpin of an alien plot to subvert humanity, the Pax dispatch an innocent academic, Jereko Kostas, on a reconnaissance mission to uncover the truth about the angels. Jereko, along with Chandris, a young woman who has spent her life as a petty thief and a grifter, signs on with an "angel-hunting" ship to investigate. When they uncover disturbing facts about the angels and their source, Angelmass, tension between the Empyrean and the Pax builds, and their discoveries set the stage for a major confrontation between the Pax and the stubbornly independent inhabitants of the Empyrean."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Read March 2002
Read May 2007 ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Great book. A character in this book named after me (Dr. Laurn Podolak):)
Thanks Tim! ( )
  azyre | Apr 5, 2013 |
If this book had ended on what I was expecting, it would've been an absolute beauty... a little disappointed that it did not end with a bang. ( )
  xavierroy | Oct 1, 2011 |
I've been told that Zahn's regular science fiction books are better than his Star Wars books, but I didn't think this was. I would have preferred more focus on fewer characters, maybe a few less random plot devices, and the twist at the end to make more sense or be more meaningful. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Feb 15, 2010 |
I almost thought I wasn't going to like this one. It started out jumping around several different POVs, one of whom was a 16-year-old cyberpunk street girl, a character type I'm not too fond of, and I let the book sit for a while and was about to take it back to the library when I got sick and it was the only book I had lying around to read, so I picked it up and tried it again. I'm glad I gave it another chance, because it was really good once I got into it.

The story is about "angels"—tiny quantum particles emitted from a black hole called Angelmass. No one really knows what the angels are, but they seem to influence people to behave more ethically. The Empyrean system has ruled that all politicians and leaders above a certain level must wear an angel at all times. The Pax system believes the angels to be controlling people's minds, and is bent on "liberating" the Empyreans from their servitude. Meanwhile, Angelmass is behaving oddly for a black hole.

It's a fascinating concept, one that Zahn explores from various sides. The main characters all experience the angels in different ways and are changed by the angels' influence, or lack of it. And it has a very tense and exciting ending. Great book! ( )
  codyne | Nov 19, 2009 |

Timothy Zahnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my mother:
The first angel in my life
There were two of them waiting as Jereko Kosta climbed awkwardly up the ladder through the shuttle hatch: a young ensign and an equally young crewer second class, both clothed in shiny black and silver Pax military uniforms, the glistening red and blue threads of the Komitadji's insignia pattern swirling with arrogant pride across collarbone and shoulder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,744,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible