The Knights of the Cornerstone by James P.…

The Knights of the Cornerstone

by James P. Blaylock

A strangely relaxed little book peopled with odd characters who's preferred drink is soca pop - preferably Nehu Grape; the pages are saturated with the atmosphere of the 1970s - so much so that the mention of a cellphone is disturbingly anachronistic.

Calvin Bryson is an amateur cartoonist of independent means, recently ditched by his fiance but not exactly broken-hearted. When his family pressure him to deliver a parcel to an uncle living in the eccentric desert town of New Cyprus he is unenthusiastic but dutiful until the theft of his package rouses him to curiosity.

Calvin fully intends to return to California after a flying visit but he is not only drawn into a deadly mystery involving The Knights of the Cornerstone [descendants of the Knights Templar] and their guardianship of a sacred relic [the veil of st Veronica, with magical/mystical healing powers] but he also falls in love.

Murder, abduction, theft, romance - even ghosts and magic - all are presented in an unassumingly low-key matter of fact manner which result in the book being 'light' despite its sometimes portentious subject matter, and even being classed as magical realism. Actually, although I won't recommend Knights, it's not too bad - certainly not as bad as a classification of magical realism suggests.

I ordered it because it came up on my Recommendations list of few times. I must admit to being sorely disappointed. However, as a quirky story in a weird but timeless setting in which violence is tempered by romance and a happy ending is more or less guaranteed for reluctant hero Calvin, Knights is a good but unexciting read. ( )
  adpaton | Jan 3, 2011 |
Very nice, although not at the same level as Paper Grail and Aill the Bells on Earth. ( )
  kukkurovaca | Mar 12, 2009 |
This is the first Blaylock book I've read outside of the "Cheeser" series (His earliest works). It's also the first full-fledged novel from Mr. Blaylock in about 9 years. That being said, I was unsure of what to expect since he changed genres.

I felt that the book could have used some more history on the Knights, but maybe that is being saved for another book. I could also see Calvin Bryson, an unassuming hero, being a central character in future series. Overall, I found the book to be very entertaining, but I know part of that is because I'm very familiar with the area where the story mainly takes place. Though without that level of intimacy, I still believe the story stands on its own. ( )
1 vote beatbox32 | Dec 21, 2008 |
The only way to come to know where you are is to begin to make yourself at home.
--Lilith, George MacDonald

Once he heard very faintly in some distant street a barrel-organ begin to play, and it seemed to him that heroic words were moving to a tiny tune from under or beyond the world.
--The Man Who Was Thursday, G. K. Chesterton
For Viki, John, and Danny

And this time for John Ciarcia and Karen King

Cha Cha and Karen: here's a book dedicated to the two of you, for years of New York hospitality. The Blaylocks thank you for your love and support. See you soon.
Calvin Bryson read the letter a third time, but for some reason it insisted on saying the same thing it had said the other two times.

When Calvin Bryson decides to visit his aunt and uncle, he learns that their small town is harboring some strange secrets-including a modern- day incarnation of the legendary Knights Templar.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:14 -0400)

Dedicated to his work and to his collection of rare books, a reclusive Calvin Bryson finally visits his aunt and uncle in New Cyprus, California, only to discover a town hiding strange secrets and an enigmatic group dedicated to the preservation of holy relics.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,644,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible