A Catskill Eagle (Spenser, Book 12) by…

A Catskill Eagle (Spenser, Book 12) (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (12)

Hawk is in jail in San Francisco, where he has gone to help Susan Silverman, who's in trouble. Susan contacts Spenser, but when he gets to California, Susan has vanished. Spenser breaks Hawk out and the two embark on a search for Susan that takes them back and forth across the country.
Member:benfulton
Title:A Catskill Eagle (Spenser, Book 12)
Authors:Robert B. Parker
Info:Dell (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**

A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker (1985)

Although I have to admit this one felt a little bit more dated than I might have liked, I really enjoyed diving back into the universe of Parker's Spenser. Parker has a way of bringing characters and scenes to life even against fast and dialogue-driven scenes, and this was an easy, enjoyable read to sink into while on vacation. It's a reminder to me to go back to the other Spenser novels I never got around to and wander through them as I get the chance.

I probably wouldn't recommend starting with this one if you're not already a fan of this series, but it's worth getting around to once you become a fan. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jul 19, 2019 |
An absolutely preposterous story, built on the difficulties in Spenser's relationship with Suze. ( )
  joeldinda | Feb 10, 2019 |
See my blog for my review: Martin's View: A Catskill Eagle. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
I am not sure what I think about this book. On one hand, it is the end of a story line that started a few books ago. On the other hand, I am really tired of Susan's actions.

I do not need my heroines to be likeable or even nice. And I would admit that there are women like that in real life. I just do not understand them. At all.

Back to the book - Susan is not only still in California, she also has a relationship there and the guy is a bit... possessive. And has a father that is even more possessive. Which Spenser has no idea of until he gets a letter that Hawk is in jail and Susan is in trouble. And off he goes.

Welcome to the Spenser and Hawk comedy special - the dynamics between the two of them had always been there but that is the first book where their friendship takes a front seat compared to Spenser's love story. Jail-break, murders, arson, assault, kidnapping - all these are normal in a Spenser novel. Except that usually our favorite detective is investigating it. This time, he and Hawk are the ones that are wanted for it... and they did it all. Add a few illegal immigrants and a mutiny in a pseudo-military compound, running from one coast to another, the reappearance of Rachel Wallace from a previous novel (she starts to become a feature in the series), a millionaire that is actually a decent person and keeps his promise (also given earlier in the series), the two policemen that seem to trust Spenser no matter what, FBI, CIA and Susan... the damsel in distress that cannot make up her mind who she loves.

Somewhere in the middle of the story, Spenser breaks any code he ever had. It does make sense in the long run and based on where he was heading anyway but... he may have crossed a line he should have been a lot more careful of. On the other hand, at least Susan is back so he should get to his normal - or a new normal at least.

I am really curious where the series will go from here - a less competent story teller would chose to end the series here. Parker did not - hopefully using this whole thing to build up a more rounded Spenser. If he reverts back to his old self, it will be a disappointment.

If you had never read another book from the series, do not start here. It is a wrap up book of a series in a way that makes it almost impossible to work as a standalone. It is as full of machismo and testosterone as usual, with the humor leaking from each page.

I do not need to like where a character is going - and Parker seems to have a plan. And after a full book of Hawk, I really hope he does not blend into the background again, just to be called when there is an emergency. ( )
  AnnieMod | Apr 5, 2017 |
Absolutely harrowing in a way his stories usually aren't. One of the series best. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 31, 2015 |
"And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he forever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than the other birds upon the plain, even though they soar."
Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
For Joan
It was nearly midnight and I was just getting home from detecting.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,147,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible