Selected Poems: Carol Ann Duffy (Penguin…

Selected Poems: Carol Ann Duffy (Penguin Poetry Library)

by Carol Ann Duffy

Lovely. One of the books I frequently turn to. Smart, sexy, funny, angry. "Warming Her Pearls" and "Miles Away" are two of my favorites.
  Oh_Carolyn | Jul 18, 2013 |
Mostly, I don't know why I forced myself to read on through this selection of bleak and depressing free verse poems, most of which made me think of fragments of nightmares. I got this book because I'd come across Carol Ann Duffy when I purchased a beautifully illustrated children's book called The Gift (which I've yet to read) and thought I may as well get a feel for her poetry first. This book seemed like a good choice because it's a selection from her first four acclaimed volumes, Standing Female Nude (1985), Selling Manhattan (1987), The Other Country (1990) and Mean Time (1993) and finally a few selections from The World's Wife (1999), my favourite entries by far. In truth I mostly got this particular volume because I loved the cover designed by Petra Borner, an artist I've profiled on a pervious thread. There was one poem, also bleak, but quite beautiful, one of the few which made me think "ah, this is why I've plodded on!", but I didn't mark the page, and just now the thought of having to read through some likely candidates and tripping over so many jagged corners of consciousness was more than I could bear. So instead, the final poem, because it made me smile, taken from The World's Wife which includes entries by Mrs Midas, Mrs Lazarus, Mrs Aesop and Queen Kong:

Mrs Darwin

7 April 1852.
Went to the Zoo.
I said to Him —
Something about that Chimpanzee over there reminds
me of you. ( )
  Smiler69 | Jun 1, 2012 |
This series of notes are produced, if not exclusively, are certainly primly aimed at students. I don't care, I need help understanding poetry and they work brilliantly for me.

I particularly like the effortless way that the notes move from the blooming obvious to the quite complex. I certainly get more Carol Ann Duffy's work after reading this book and I am building a series so that more modern poetry will radiate with something close to its full beam in my direction. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Feb 11, 2011 |
I love Carol Ann Duffy's poetry. I haven't read it exhaustively, mind you, but I have read quite a bit. This collection includes poetry from her first four volumes, plus six poems from my favorite, The World's Wife. Duffy has her own quirky voice, a great sense of humor, and writes accessibly. She has a way with language that just delights me. ( )
  avaland | May 17, 2008 |

'Poetry, like love, depends on a kind of recognition. So often with Duffy does the reader say, "Yes, that's it exactly," that she could well become the representative poet of the present day' - Sean O'Brien, "Sunday Times". "Selected Poems" contains poetry chosen by Carol Ann Duffy from her acclaimed volumes, "Standing Female Nude" (1985), "Selling Manhattan" (1987), "The Other Country" (1990) and "Mean Time" (1993, winner of the Forward Poetry Prize and the Whitbread Poetry Award), together with three poems from "The World's Wife".

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:53 -0400)

Containing poems chosen from her first four acclaimed volumes, this collection also includes six poems from the later 'The Worlds Wife'.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,272,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible