The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg

The Preacher (original 2004; edition 2011)

by Camilla Läckberg, David Thorn (Reader)

Title:The Preacher
Authors:Camilla Läckberg
Other authors:David Thorn (Reader)
Info:HighBridge Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged; 15.75 hours, Audio CD

The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg (2004)

English (44)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
This was a good read, but at times it needed more forward direction than it did have. There were points in the book where there was too much dialogue and not enough action, and where the sections were too short before it jumped to someone else. I much preferred the first book in the series, and have to agree with a previous review I saw (Carol's I think) where the reviewer said they missed Erica. I wholeheartedly agree, she was the real strength of the first book but was sidelined too much in this one, she wasn't part of the invetsigation and just had a cameo role in this one. Hopefully in the next one she will play a more prominent part. All that said though I still enjoyed this book and will continue with the series, it was just not as good as the first book in the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
While this book was ok it didn't grab me in the same way as her previous book The Ice Princess, although I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and put it down to difficult second book syndrome. Hopefully the third book will be better.

I have to say the cover for this book included an unusual selling point, I'm used to seeing lines about the author's previous books or even a comment from another author saying that they think this writer is brilliant but mentioning that the book was translated by the same person who translates Henning Mankell's books. Do people really pick a book based on who did the translation? ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
From Amazon:
During an unusually hot July, detective Patrik Hedstrom and Erica Falck are enjoying a rare week at home together, nervous and excited about the imminent birth of their first baby. Across town, however, a six-year-old boy makes a gruesome discovery that will ravage their little tourist community and catapult Patrik into the center of a terrifying murder case. The boy has stumbled upon the brutally murdered body of a young woman, and Patrik is immediately called to lead the investigation. Things get even worse when his team uncovers, buried beneath the victim, the skeletons of two campers whose disappearance had baffled police for decades. The three victims’ injuries seem to be the work of the same killer, but that is impossible: the main suspect in the original kidnappings committed suicide twenty-four years ago. When yet another young girl disappears and panic begins to spread, Patrik leads a desperate manhunt to track down a ruthless serial killer before he strikes again.

My Thoughts:

The author spends as much time on the lives and the motivations of her characters as she does on plot development, making the dialogue is often wooden and cliched. I was disappointed that Erica does not play a major role in this investigation. Instead she is relegated to playing the expectant mom and wife who has to deal with pesky relatives invading her home during the hot summer months. In The Ice Princess, Erica played a very important role in the murder investigation and I had come to genuinely like her character, so it was disappointing to see her character take a backseat to Patrik's role as chief investigator in this second installment. The Preacheris certainly readable but not a great mystery novel. 3 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

After The Ice Princess, this is the second book in the series about Patrick Hedström. An old case and a new one seem to be connected and it is up to Patrick to solve the case, all the while Erica is very pregnant.

One of the things that always come back in these books is the switching between past and present, something that becomes very clear in this book. While I'm not usually a fan of this tactic, I quite like it in this series, just like the very domestic story lines that are interwoven with the murder plot.

Even though it is not my favourite in the series, I enjoyed reading it a lot and Camilla Läckberg is one of my immediate-buy authors.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
George Wilson
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Camilla Läckbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montes Cano, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micke
The day was off to a promising start.

The discovery of two murder victims who were killed twenty years earlier is complicated by the body of a third, recent victim at the same location, a case that compels detective Patrik Hedstrom to investigate a feuding clan of misfits, religious fanatics, and criminals.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,831,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible