The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg

The Preacher (original 2004; edition 2011)

by Camilla Läckberg, David Thorn (Reader)

Member:blueheronlanding
Title:The Preacher
Authors:Camilla Läckberg
Other authors:David Thorn (Reader)
Info:HighBridge Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged; 15.75 hours, Audio CD
Collections:2012
Rating:***1/2

The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg (2004)

English (41)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (68)
George Wilson
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Police procedural -- Sweden --Serial murders -- Investigation -- Scandanavian crime--fiction

Erica Falck and Patrik Hedstrom: Book 2 (2004)

This book passed quickly and left me rethinking the characters several times.
I would have to say that ultimately I enjoyed ? the read but I'm not sure about the conclusion.
I'm being ambiguous... but that's OK. ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
Good, solid contemporary murder mystery/thriller, set in rural Sweden.
I enjoyed the first one in this series (The Ice Princess), and thought I'd follow up.

It was a bit of a disappointment that while Erica is definitely the main character in the first book, in this one her new husband, policeman Patrick Hedstrom, takes center stage while Erica is uncomfortably pregnant.

However, the book attains a nice balance between the humorous and too-true travails of daily life, and the depictions of grisly crimes and the shocking secrets of the past that lead to them.

The plot isn't wholly unpredictable, but there are some nice twists and red herrings strewn along the way.

One funny thing - the book takes place in summer, and there is much discussion of how very, very sweltering it is, and a mention of the misconceptions that foreigners have about Sweden being always cold. I looked up how hot it gets in Fjallbacka. The hottest temperature I could find, in summer, is 24 degrees Celsius (75 Fahrenheit). Oh, so very hot! (not.)

Definitely recommended for fans of realistic crime fiction and anyone who thinks religious cults are creepy.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I didn't think I was going to enjoy this book but after about 100 pages it started to grip and was fine from there on. The back story of Erica's sister is more irritating than interesting however. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
In Lackberg’s first book in this series, The Ice Princess, Erica Falck is the central character. She finds the body, and since it was her friend, she stays involved in the case. Most of the book is told from her point of view. During the course of the investigation she becomes romantically involved with Patrik Hedstrom, a police officer working on the case.

*** SPOILER-ISH ALERT*** (Nothing that spoils The Preacher, but this book continues a series, so could have spoilers for the first book, mentioned above.)

In The Preacher, which is the second book in the series, Erica and Patrik are married after a whirlwind romance, and they are expecting their first child. The story is told mostly from Patrik’s viewpoint, and Erica is relegated to the background of the story. She’s eight months pregnant, there’s a heatwave, she’s miserable, and Patrick has been called away from his vacation and asked to lead an investigation of multiple murders, one very recent and others that are cold cases but likely related.

The investigation centers around a well-to-do family, the Hults, with lots of secrets and feuds amongst them, and Patrik believes the answers he and his team seek are likely to be found in the closet with this family’s skeletons. During the course of the investigation we learn a bit more about the members of the police department where Patrik works, including the introduction of a fresh new character, Martin, a smart, motivated, young man who Patrik relies on, as the other main members of the team are either complacent or plainly incompetent.

Subplots involve Erica exasperated with unwanted house guests who’ve invited themselves to enjoy the summer heat in the scenic, waterfront town of Fjallbacka; Erica’s sister, Anna, who shows up with her new boyfriend who may have the same uncaring, abusive tendencies as Anna’s ex-husband; and Martin’s budding interest in a local woman who works in the tourist info center and has agreed to help the police department with interpreting.

Family is a big theme in this story: family secrets, loyalty, betrayal, spousal abuse, how families handle grief, the stress of expectations, and the tenderness and challenges of a healthy, caring relationship.

I like the feel of Lackberg’s novels, but have to admit that I liked the first one, The Ice Princess, better than the second. I enjoyed having more of the story from Erica’s point of view. And Ice Princess was set in the winter, which was described with such sparse detail by the author, it seemed to set the mood for the story. As with the first novel, the translation is the tiniest bit stilted – it feels like not quite the right word is being used sometimes. For example, at one point the book refers to Patrik having words with another member of the office where he’s being taken to task, and it says he ‘whimpered.’ I just couldn’t picture this, and thought perhaps a different word was meant and may have suited the situation better. Also, in the balance of grim sadness and suspense or excitement that seems to come with Scandinavian crime novels, this one definitely leaned toward sad.

Overall, though, I enjoyed reading The Preacher. Although I had a vague idea about ‘whodunnit,’ I was kept guessing right up until the end. The story resolved near the last 30 pages. I’m sure I’ll pick up the third installment in the series, The Stonecutter, eventually.
  kimberwolf | Jan 16, 2016 |

Camilla Läckbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montes Cano, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micke
The day was off to a promising start.

The discovery of two murder victims who were killed twenty years earlier is complicated by the body of a third, recent victim at the same location, a case that compels detective Patrik Hedstrom to investigate a feuding clan of misfits, religious fanatics, and criminals.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1 books! | Top bar: Always visible