The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg

The Preacher (original 2004; edition 2011)

by Camilla Läckberg, David Thorn (Reader)

Member:blueheronlanding
Title:The Preacher
Authors:Camilla Läckberg
Other authors:David Thorn (Reader)
Info:HighBridge Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged; 15.75 hours, Audio CD
Collections:2012
Rating:***1/2

The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg (2004)

English (41)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (68)
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

After The Ice Princess, this is the second book in the series about Patrick Hedström. An old case and a new one seem to be connected and it is up to Patrick to solve the case, all the while Erica is very pregnant.

One of the things that always come back in these books is the switching between past and present, something that becomes very clear in this book. While I'm not usually a fan of this tactic, I quite like it in this series, just like the very domestic story lines that are interwoven with the murder plot.

Even though it is not my favourite in the series, I enjoyed reading it a lot and Camilla Läckberg is one of my immediate-buy authors.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
George Wilson
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Police procedural -- Sweden --Serial murders -- Investigation -- Scandanavian crime--fiction

Erica Falck and Patrik Hedstrom: Book 2 (2004)

This book passed quickly and left me rethinking the characters several times.
I would have to say that ultimately I enjoyed ? the read but I'm not sure about the conclusion.
I'm being ambiguous... but that's OK. ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
Good, solid contemporary murder mystery/thriller, set in rural Sweden.
I enjoyed the first one in this series (The Ice Princess), and thought I'd follow up.

It was a bit of a disappointment that while Erica is definitely the main character in the first book, in this one her new husband, policeman Patrick Hedstrom, takes center stage while Erica is uncomfortably pregnant.

However, the book attains a nice balance between the humorous and too-true travails of daily life, and the depictions of grisly crimes and the shocking secrets of the past that lead to them.

The plot isn't wholly unpredictable, but there are some nice twists and red herrings strewn along the way.

One funny thing - the book takes place in summer, and there is much discussion of how very, very sweltering it is, and a mention of the misconceptions that foreigners have about Sweden being always cold. I looked up how hot it gets in Fjallbacka. The hottest temperature I could find, in summer, is 24 degrees Celsius (75 Fahrenheit). Oh, so very hot! (not.)

Definitely recommended for fans of realistic crime fiction and anyone who thinks religious cults are creepy.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I didn't think I was going to enjoy this book but after about 100 pages it started to grip and was fine from there on. The back story of Erica's sister is more irritating than interesting however. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |

Camilla Läckbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montes Cano, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micke
The day was off to a promising start.

The discovery of two murder victims who were killed twenty years earlier is complicated by the body of a third, recent victim at the same location, a case that compels detective Patrik Hedstrom to investigate a feuding clan of misfits, religious fanatics, and criminals.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,856,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible