The Blue Fox by Sjon

The Blue Fox (2003)

by Sjon

3071936,351 (3.96)37
Recently added bysaelizton, BayardUS, private library, Neftzger, Tytti-K, Juliana.Brina, wjmcomposer
    The Swan by Guðbergur Bergsson (Tinwara)
    Tinwara: Not just because it's also set in Iceland. Both books are written in an evocative poetic style and animals play an important role

English (12)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (19)
This short book is more of a long parable or novella. Don't let the short length fool you — in true parable form the book is packed with meaning and room for interpretation by the reader. Like The Whispering Muse (also by Sjón), the story also has a bit of a Melville feel to it. The main character is a pastor who's hunting a mysterious blue fox. Throughout the pursuit we learn more about the hunter and his character than we do about the prey. A fascinating read that mixes an adventure story and character study. ( )
  Neftzger | Dec 3, 2014 |
Did I read this book, or was it all a strange, beautiful dream? Best read it again to make sure... ( )
  BooktotheFuture | Oct 18, 2014 |
Had I read this book straight through I think I would have liked it more. Unfortunately I broked it up with several days between sections and it took away from emotion and immediacy of the story. Even so I enjoyed meeting Fridrik and was glad that Reverend Skuggason got his due in the form of an avalanche. I intend to re-read this one in a year or so, because I don't think I gave it a fair reading. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 11, 2014 |
Strange, spare, and kind of great. ( )
  beckydj | Dec 23, 2013 |
Story of relentless pursuit of a blue fox inan Icelandic, surreal landscape. It reflects the harshness of Icelandic life and culture at an earlier time including rather barbaric treatment of Down's Syndrome children. There is also a mysticism that continues even today. Trolls, elves and hidden people are real. ( )
  EKAdams | Jul 13, 2013 |

Sjonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cribb, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blue foxes are so curiously like stones that it is a matter for wonder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184659037X, Paperback)

The Blue Fox is a magical novel.”—Bjork

The year is 1883, and the stark Icelandic landscape is the backdrop for this spellbinding fable that is part mystery, part fairy tale. The fates of a priest, a naturalist, and a young woman with Down syndrome are intrinsically bound and gradually, surprisingly unraveled.

"Sjon's fable...describes its world with brilliant, precise, concrete colour and detail while at the same time making things and people mysterious and ungraspable...The world of 19th-century Iceland is brilliantly and economically present: the bareness of the dwellings, the roughness of the churches and congregations, the meager food...The novel is a parable, comic, and lyrical about the nature of things."—A.S. Byatt for The Times

Sjon was born in Reykjavik, Iceland, in 1962. A novelist, playwright, lyricist, and poet, he wrote the lyrics to Bjork’s hit songs “Isobel,” “Joga,” and “Bachelorette” and was nominated for an Academy Award for his lyrics to the music for the film Dancer in the Dark, directed by Lars von Trier.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:10 -0400)

An elusive fox leads a hunter on a transformative quest, while a naturalist endeavors to build a life for a young woman with Down syndrome whom he rescued from a shipwreck years earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible