Missing by Karin Alvtegen

Missing (edition 2003)

by Karin Alvtegen, Anna Paterson (Translator)

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Missing
Authors:Karin Alvtegen
Other authors:Anna Paterson (Translator)
Info:Canongate International (2003), Hardcover, 249 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Crime, Thriller, Translation, 12 in 12

Missing by Karin Alvtegen

English (24)  Dutch (5)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (31)
Missing is one of my favorite reads of the year so far. I picked it up on Saturday morning and finished it in less than a day, which shows that I was hooked from the start. It's a condensed psychological thriller with an incredibly sympathetic main character, it's critical of Swedish society, and it's very well-paced: good stuff all around.

Sibylla is a 32-year-old homeless woman who is wanted for murder, and the story not only takes place in the present while she hides from the police and tries to clear her name: it also covers her devastating upbringing in a small, rural town in a family with money but not much else that led to her homelessness. The book begins with her plan to get a free night in a nice hotel, but she wakes up the next morning to find out that her benefactor for the evening was found murdered in the hotel. She is the prime suspect, and she goes on the run.

I've read quite a few wrongly-accused-character-on-the-run books, but this one feels different than, say, Lisa Lutz's The Passenger. Sibylla's travels are more circumscribed than some of the longer chase books I've read, so the story feels more specific. The story is shorter and the pacing is really good. My only complaint about the book is that there are a few sections in the real killer's mind, which is never my favorite trick in a book.

This book impressed me more than the only other Alvtegen book I've read, Shame, which I don't remember too well now. I will be seeking out more of her books right away.

Missing by Karin Alvtegen, translated by Anna Paterson

Felony & Mayhem Press, 2009

Originally published as Saknad, 2000

I bought my copy of the book.
  rkreish | Apr 24, 2016 |
Homeless Sibylla has survived for 15 years with luck but that runs out when she lures a businessman to pay for dinner, drinks and a room for her; he turns up dead the next morning and she is the suspect for this and 3 other murders. ( )
  laureyd | Mar 27, 2016 |
Actually, I only read this about halfway through, I just couldn't get interested in the story and felt it was rather predictable. I knew that she was going to get pregnant at some point in the story. I don't know it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe it was the translation? ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
An exciting read in which we get to see the world through the eyes of a homeless woman. Not too sure about the last part of the book as it all gets a bit far fetched. However, still worth reading & look forward to more by Alvtegen ( )
  sianpr | Nov 13, 2013 |

Karin Alvtegenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paterson, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the servants of Christ and as guardians of God's secrets, thus should we be seen and understood.

Kriminalroman. Da den hjemløse Sibylla Forsenström en nat overværer det brutale mord på en mand, peger sporene på hende selv. To dage senere findes endnu en mand dræbt, og pludselig er Sibylla Sveriges mest eftersøgte person

Born into privilege, Sibylla lives by choice on the chilly streets of Stockholm. When she spend a night with a businessman, and his body is found the next morning, she becomes a wanted woman.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1841959383, 0857860224

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,616,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible