A death in the family by James Agee

A death in the family (original 1957; edition 1969)

by James Agee

Member:utterly_serious
Title:A death in the family
Authors:James Agee
Info:

A Death in the Family by James Agee (1957)

Recently added byDCL54, ArgoLib, MaureenCean, thebookmagpie, a004358, hoegbottom, KathyGilbert, gust, private library
Legacy LibrariesWHLibrary1963, Marilyn Monroe

English (38)  Dutch (2)  All languages (40)
Didn't make it through more than a quarter. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Some aspects of this book drove me crazy but then some parts were so well done. It is a slow moving piece with a great deal of interior characterization that was well done but the backwoods speech of the uneducated family annyoed me greatly in some parts. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Agee does a good job in showing how those with religious belief and those without can come together effectively to deal with a family crisis. Nobody's belief in this area changes, but people rephrase and reconstruct for each other to make things work. The authorial tone as presented through the characters seems to be that religion can be inappropriately used to avoid dealing with pain and that humans naturally must react as they will react- God will understand. The only person shown as somehow religiously "off" was the priest.

Agee had quite a fluid writing style- words flowed together with increasing speed until the end of each section. This was noteworthy because it is so unusual. This book includes tender scenes of family life and as a whole is more about the details of how to be a family than it is about a death. It is definitely worthwhile. ( )
  karmiel | Aug 10, 2015 |
Just finished reading A Death in the Family James Agee's novel for one of my face to face book groups.

Knoxville Tennessee. 1915. Husband and Wife and two small children and their extended family. Father goes out one night for a drive in his "Tin Lizzie" and dies on the way back. That’s it.

Hadn't read Agee before this and was just blown away by the craftsmanship of the writing - beautiful, simple, intense, poetic.

He has the gift to be able to show at once the grown up writer telling the story and the six year old boy living through it.

Don't think I've ever read a book that so clearly delineated the mind of a child dealing with all the strangeness and terror of a child's life.

Nice to read a book that shows a person of faith - a devout Southern Christian - honestly, simply and without caricature or grotesquery.

He gets the voices of the people right too -- what is said and what is left unsaid.

The last scene of the boy going to his father's funeral is haunting and memorable.

Glad I read it. What a writer. Wow. ( )
1 vote magicians_nephew | Mar 10, 2014 |
We are talking now of summer evenings in Knoxville, Tennessee, in the time that I lived there so successfully disguised to myself as a child.
Please do not combine with "A death in the family : a restoration of the author's text"

Forty years after its original publication, James Agee's last novel seems, more than ever, an American classic. For in his lyrical, sorrowful account of a man's death and its impact on his family, Agee painstakingly created a small world of domestic happiness and then showed how quickly and casually it could be destroyed.

On a sultry summer night in 1915, Jay Follet leaves his house in Knoxville, Tennessee, to tend to his father, whom he believes is dying. The summons turns out to be a false alarm, but on his way back to his family, Jay has a car accident and is killed instantly. Dancing back and forth in time and braiding the viewpoints of Jay's wife, brother, and young son, Rufus, Agee creates an overwhelmingly powerful novel of innocence, tenderness, and loss that should be read aloud for the sheer music of its prose.

"An utterly individual and original book...one of the most deeply worked out expressions of human feeling that I have ever read."--Alfred Kazin, New York Times Book Review

"It is, in the full sense, poetry....The language of the book, at once luminous and discreet...remains in the mind."--New Republic

"People I know who read A Death in the Family forty years ago still talk about it. So do I. It is a great book, and I'm happy to see it done anew."--Andre Dubus, author of Dancing After Hours and Meditations From A Moveable Chair

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

On a sultry summer night in 1915, Jay Follet leaves his house in Knoxville, Tennessee, to tend to his father, whom he believes is dying. The summons turns out to be a false alarm, but on his way back to his family, Jay has a car accident and is killed instantly, leaving his wife, brother, and young son to deal with his sudden death.… (more)

113 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,109,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible