The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk

The Museum of Innocence (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Orhan Pamuk, Maureen Freely (Translator)

Member:freelancer_frank
Title:The Museum of Innocence
Authors:Orhan Pamuk
Other authors:Maureen Freely (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 535 pages
Rating:*****

The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk (2008)

English (42)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  English (54)
This same story could have been told in half the length. Reading about a guy who created his own misery moon over one of the women he hurt and whine for almost 300 pages was enough for me. I can't do it anymore. I like the bones of the story and it could have been really wonderful, but it's incredibly verbose and the pages drag as a result. Also, inserting yourself as a character in your book is tacky. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
This book had a profound effect upon me because, despite his obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior, I truly grew to like Kamal. I especially enjoyed the chapter entitled "Sometimes". The character I could barely abide was the lady who was Kamal's obsession. I enjoyed the other main character, Istanbul. ( )
  briellenadyne | Sep 26, 2016 |
um... I enjoyed the first half, wondering how things would turn out with Kemal and Sibel and Fusum. But... the second half, while well described was for me mawkish and annoying. That Kemal would spend (spoiler alert) nine years pining after Fusum in her own house! Reading what he wanted into looks and brushes of the hand. I wanted to shout GET REAL all the time. And as for the "shock finale" of Fusum, I'm afraid I sniggered. This was billed as a paean to love, but the only love Kemal had was always for himself and I couldn't care less about him. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
"Hayatımın en mutlu ânıymış, bilmiyordum."

Nobel ödüllü büyük yazarımız Orhan Pamuk'un harikulade aşk romanı bu sözlerle başlıyor...

1975'te bir bahar günü başlayıp günümüze kadar gelen, İstanbullu zengin çocuğu Kemal ile uzak ve yoksul akrabası Füsun'un hikâyesi: Hızı, hareketi, olaylarının ve kahramanlarının zenginliği, mizah duygusu ve insan ruhunun derinliklerindeki fırtınaları hissettirme gücüyle, Masumiyet Müzesi, elinizden bırakamayacağınız ve yeniden okuyacağınız kitaplardan biri olacak.

Masumiyet Müzesi'ni okurken yalnız aşk hakkında değil, evlilik, arkadaşlık, cinsellik, tutku, aile ve mutluluk hakkındaki bütün düşüncelerinizin derinden etkilendiğini ve kitabın rengârenk dünyasından hiç ayrılmak istemediğinizi göreceksiniz.

Romanı yazdıktan dört yıl sonra, 2012'de, Pamuk romanıyla aynı adlı müzeyi Çukurcuma'da açtı. Şimdiye dek on binlerce ziyaretçinin gezdiği müze için ünlü sanat tarihçisi Simon Schama, Financial Times gazetesine yazdığı yazıda, "Dünyadaki en güçlü, en güzel, en insanî ve en etkileyici çağdaş sanat eseri," diye yazdı. "Aynı zamanda hem şiir hem karamizah gibi; hem zarif ve şefkatle dolu, hem de kutu kutu, vitrin vitrin, estetik olarak muhteşem."
  Cagatay | Jun 10, 2016 |
The Museum of Innocence is a wonderful book that needs some serious cutting. I listened to the audio version. The book works well in that form because there's plenty of repetition. If something distracts the listener, he or she can count on the idea that was missed being repeated at least a few times. But that said, the book is fascinating in countless ways.

The notes from the publisher call it, “...a stirring exploration of the nature of romance.” A line like that makes me wonder if the publicist read the book. This would be better – “...a stirring condemnation of a self-centered, self declared romanticist.” It was clear Orhan Pamuk was condemning someone or something, but tricky to figure out who or what. It could simply be the main character, Kemal. But it could also be Kemal's wealthy family, since his father had a similar affair and his mother looked the other way both times. Or it could be Turkish culture in general. Pamuk often mentions the difference between westernized culture and traditional culture in Turkey. The Wikipedia entry on the book centers on this, but I find the lover's misogyny to be the most interesting aspect and something that can be found in other cultures. Pamuk's writing is so detailed, and carefully constructed, he was probably thinking of all these aspects.

Kemal claims a great love for Fusun, but he seems to be in love with the way she moves her wrist or the way she walks, never with her ideas or her goals or her opinions. Appropriately, the book opens with a sex act which is in one of the least intimate positions possible. Kemal declares the day this happened as the happiest moment of his life. He is consumed with the idea of a woman as a work of art rather than a living person and from that focus comes the idea of preserving her in a museum.

As I said, I think the book is too repetitious, but what I loved about it greatly outweighs my opinion on that one aspect.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Feb 21, 2016 |
Orhan Pamuk favors short chapters that lead the reader from one entry to the next, turning back to correct or amend. He is directorial in “The Museum of Innocence,” his enchanting new novel of first love painfully sustained over a lifetime.

"The Museum of Innocence" deeply and compellingly explores the interplay between erotic obsession and sentimentality -- and never once slips into the sentimental. There is a master at work in this book.

"The Museum of Innocence" is a deeply human and humane story. Masterfully translated, spellbindingly told, it is resounding confirmation that Orhan Pamuk is one of the great novelists of his generation. With this book, he literally puts love into our hands.

Orhan Pamukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dorleijn, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oklap, EkinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These were innocent people, so innocent that they thought poverty a crime that wealth would allow them to forget. - from the notebooks of Celâl Salik
If a man could pass thro' Paradise in a Dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his Soul had really been there, and found that flower in his hand when he awoke - Aye? and what then? - from the notebooks of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
First I surveyed the little trinkets on the table, her lotions and her perfumes. I picked them up and examined them one by one. I turned her little watch over in my hand. Then I looked at her wardrobe. All those dresses and accessories piled one on top of the other. These things that every woman used to complete herself - they induced in me a painful and desperate loneliness; I felt myself hers, I longed to be hers. - from the notebooks of Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar
To Rüya
Va ser el moment més feliç de la meva vida, i jo ni tan sols ho sabia. Però si ho hagués sabut, hauria anat tot d'una altra manera i hauria conservat la meva felicitat? Sí, perquè si m'hagués adonat que mai més no tornaria a ser tan feliç, no hauria deixat marxar aquesta felicitat!
It was the happiest moment of my life , though I didn’t know it. Had I known , had I cherished this gift , would everything have turned out differently ? Yes, if I had recognized this instant of perfect happiness, I would have held it fast and never let it slip away.

It is 1975, a perfect spring in Istanbul. Kemal, scion of one of the city's wealthiest families, is about to become engaged to Sibel, daughter of another prominent family, when he encounters Fusun, a beautiful shopgirl and a distant relation. Thus begins an obsessive but tragic love affair that will transform itself into a compulsive collection of objects--a museum of one man's broken heart--that chronicle Kemal's lovelorn progress and his afflicted heart's reactions.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,637,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible