The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk

The Museum of Innocence (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Orhan Pamuk, Maureen Freely (Translator)

Member:freelancer_frank
Title:The Museum of Innocence
Authors:Orhan Pamuk
Other authors:Maureen Freely (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 535 pages
Rating:*****

The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk (2008)

English (36)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (48)
"Hayatımın en mutlu ânıymış, bilmiyordum."

Nobel ödüllü büyük yazarımız Orhan Pamuk'un harikulade aşk romanı bu sözlerle başlıyor...

1975'te bir bahar günü başlayıp günümüze kadar gelen, İstanbullu zengin çocuğu Kemal ile uzak ve yoksul akrabası Füsun'un hikâyesi: Hızı, hareketi, olaylarının ve kahramanlarının zenginliği, mizah duygusu ve insan ruhunun derinliklerindeki fırtınaları hissettirme gücüyle, Masumiyet Müzesi, elinizden bırakamayacağınız ve yeniden okuyacağınız kitaplardan biri olacak.

Masumiyet Müzesi'ni okurken yalnız aşk hakkında değil, evlilik, arkadaşlık, cinsellik, tutku, aile ve mutluluk hakkındaki bütün düşüncelerinizin derinden etkilendiğini ve kitabın rengârenk dünyasından hiç ayrılmak istemediğinizi göreceksiniz.

Romanı yazdıktan dört yıl sonra, 2012'de, Pamuk romanıyla aynı adlı müzeyi Çukurcuma'da açtı. Şimdiye dek on binlerce ziyaretçinin gezdiği müze için ünlü sanat tarihçisi Simon Schama, Financial Times gazetesine yazdığı yazıda, "Dünyadaki en güçlü, en güzel, en insanî ve en etkileyici çağdaş sanat eseri," diye yazdı. "Aynı zamanda hem şiir hem karamizah gibi; hem zarif ve şefkatle dolu, hem de kutu kutu, vitrin vitrin, estetik olarak muhteşem."
  Cagatay | Jun 10, 2016 |
The Museum of Innocence is a wonderful book that needs some serious cutting. I listened to the audio version. The book works well in that form because there's plenty of repetition. If something distracts the listener, he or she can count on the idea that was missed being repeated at least a few times. But that said, the book is fascinating in countless ways.

The notes from the publisher call it, “...a stirring exploration of the nature of romance.” A line like that makes me wonder if the publicist read the book. This would be better – “...a stirring condemnation of a self-centered, self declared romanticist.” It was clear Orhan Pamuk was condemning someone or something, but tricky to figure out who or what. It could simply be the main character, Kemal. But it could also be Kemal's wealthy family, since his father had a similar affair and his mother looked the other way both times. Or it could be Turkish culture in general. Pamuk often mentions the difference between westernized culture and traditional culture in Turkey. The Wikipedia entry on the book centers on this, but I find the lover's misogyny to be the most interesting aspect and something that can be found in other cultures. Pamuk's writing is so detailed, and carefully constructed, he was probably thinking of all these aspects.

Kemal claims a great love for Fusun, but he seems to be in love with the way she moves her wrist or the way she walks, never with her ideas or her goals or her opinions. Appropriately, the book opens with a sex act which is in one of the least intimate positions possible. Kemal declares the day this happened as the happiest moment of his life. He is consumed with the idea of a woman as a work of art rather than a living person and from that focus comes the idea of preserving her in a museum.

As I said, I think the book is too repetitious, but what I loved about it greatly outweighs my opinion on that one aspect.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Feb 21, 2016 |
This book starts well - the first 50 pages are wonderful to read. Then not much happens for the next 600 pages, but, surprisingly, it remains a good read. The author writes in clear simple sentences that just flow across the pages, making up for the lack of plot development. I think for a western reader, the picture painted of live in Istanbul provides a background that also helps keep the reader engaged.
While this may not be to the top read of the year, I am certainly interested in reading more of this author.
Read as ebook Nov 2015. ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 8, 2015 |
Having also been a collector of objects that I write stories about, I found this author and his books very inspiring, giving me much to think about. The spirit of objects and their arrangement forms a connection with psychometry which has always fascinated me. This context of objects that inspire the imaginative workings of a novelist gives it further relevance as does the interesting distinctions between hoarding and collecting. I've been an associate of the Institute of Cultural Inquiry since its very beginning which has also collected objects for over 20 years. This too is a small museum in Los Angeles that was once located very near the Museum of Jurassic Technology, and is one that Orhan Pamuk would have loved. His artistic training is evident in the arrangement and collection of the objects and his blending of these two aspects of his being, art making and writing stories about humanity have found the process that allows him to do both to significant degree. It is his faith in his artistic instincts and in following his heart, however, against all odds and reason, that most inspires. ( )
  a_forester | Aug 10, 2015 |
I learned about the museum first and was taken by it, without realising that the novel was written about it. Now reading it, I must say I was impressed by the writing, seduced by the story, the setting, the ideas about love, memory and longing. Thought provoking and inspirational writing. ( )
  a_forester | Jul 31, 2015 |
Orhan Pamuk favors short chapters that lead the reader from one entry to the next, turning back to correct or amend. He is directorial in “The Museum of Innocence,” his enchanting new novel of first love painfully sustained over a lifetime.

"The Museum of Innocence" deeply and compellingly explores the interplay between erotic obsession and sentimentality -- and never once slips into the sentimental. There is a master at work in this book.

"The Museum of Innocence" is a deeply human and humane story. Masterfully translated, spellbindingly told, it is resounding confirmation that Orhan Pamuk is one of the great novelists of his generation. With this book, he literally puts love into our hands.

Orhan Pamukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorleijn, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oklap, EkinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These were innocent people, so innocent that they thought poverty a crime that wealth would allow them to forget. - from the notebooks of Celâl Salik
If a man could pass thro' Paradise in a Dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his Soul had really been there, and found that flower in his hand when he awoke - Aye? and what then? - from the notebooks of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
First I surveyed the little trinkets on the table, her lotions and her perfumes. I picked them up and examined them one by one. I turned her little watch over in my hand. Then I looked at her wardrobe. All those dresses and accessories piled one on top of the other. These things that every woman used to complete herself - they induced in me a painful and desperate loneliness; I felt myself hers, I longed to be hers. - from the notebooks of Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar
To Rüya
Va ser el moment més feliç de la meva vida, i jo ni tan sols ho sabia. Però si ho hagués sabut, hauria anat tot d'una altra manera i hauria conservat la meva felicitat? Sí, perquè si m'hagués adonat que mai més no tornaria a ser tan feliç, no hauria deixat marxar aquesta felicitat!
It was the happiest moment of my life , though I didn’t know it. Had I known , had I cherished this gift , would everything have turned out differently ? Yes, if I had recognized this instant of perfect happiness, I would have held it fast and never let it slip away.

It is 1975, a perfect spring in Istanbul. Kemal, scion of one of the city's wealthiest families, is about to become engaged to Sibel, daughter of another prominent family, when he encounters Fusun, a beautiful shopgirl and a distant relation. Thus begins an obsessive but tragic love affair that will transform itself into a compulsive collection of objects--a museum of one man's broken heart--that chronicle Kemal's lovelorn progress and his afflicted heart's reactions.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,470,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible