One False Note by Gordon Korman

Amy and Dan continue on their journey to find clues. In this book they are off to Japan. The two continue on the journey to find clues and battle their family to find out the families secret. ( )
  rcsmart12 | Dec 6, 2013 |
I actually liked this book better than the first in the series. Gordon Korman is a good juvenile author and I've read a few of his other books. Amy and Dan are now off to Japan. It's still a mystery who the man in black is...and it is unclear as to whether he is friend or foe. The next book in the series comes out in March. I'm looking forward to reading it. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
This is not actually a review of the book's, just a short commentary on it: for everyone out there who is happy that they/their children are learning a bit of history along the way, a) Marie Antoinette never said "Let them eat cake", it's a misattribution that was corrected years ago, and b)the French word used is actually brioche, not gateau, as the book incorrectly states.

Rant over.
  kaystj | Sep 24, 2013 |
Definitely a fast paced book! I couldn't believe how fast I read through this second installment of the 39 Clues! I see now why my daughter reads through them so quick. Now what did I think of it? It was good. I wasn't as excited about this one as I was the first one. Now I expected that all the books couldn't stay at the level of the first one, so I'm ok with it. I won't go into much details, because I don't want to give much away. What I did like was that it didn't rehash the entire first book. So many times I read a second book and it feels like a ton of it is just reviewing the previous story. This had some of that of course, but not so much that it got in the way of the current story. I also loved the pace - with 10 of these to read they CANNOT drag! They need to keep pulling the reader right along. What I didn't really like - the clues seemed a bit more convoluted and muddy. Even when they were all explained I still felt a little like I needed to say "uh?". The clues in the first book really fell together. These seemed like the pieces fit but someone didn't sand off the edges so they fit well. At the end I had to flip back and remind myself what was found.

What I am liking about the series as a whole is that not only are they fun and work your brain some - they teach you a bit. This one taught me some facts about Mozart I didn't know and I took piano lessons for 11 years! As a reader that is fun but as a teacher that is fantastic!

Final thought: Keeps the ball rolling and the clues coming
Best stick-with-you image: The Janus Head Quarters - cool!
Best for a reader who: liked the first book and likes mysteries
Best for ages: 8-12
  MrsBookOwl | Sep 14, 2013 |
When I read bedtime stories for my kids, we typically read a few chapters each night before they go to sleep. After finding out who River Song was last night ("spoilers!"), we finished this second 39 Clues book. My son has read the first ten of these already, and loves other similar books, especially Rick Riordan's various series.

Unfortunately, I'm just not that impressed. Again, I find myself comparing what I read to the twins to the books that I read in the eight-to-eleven bracket, and there's really very little comparison. The 39 Clues books aren't just simply written for younger readers, they are generally weakly written. For books which seem to tout their "internationalist", "globe-trotting" perspective, there is precious little in the way of compelling description of any of the destinations, as though the author read the first lines of an encyclopedia entry, then wrote a one-line, pale copy in watery, flaccid, uninteresting prose. I've read richer descriptions of Vienna in travel brochures, and more interesting images of Venice have been seen on cereal packets.

As to characterization, don't get me started. The best-drawn character is probably the family cat. For everything else, I find myself correcting errors as I read errors of fact, geography, history, grammar... The list goes on. And don't get me started on the question of "tu" being the periodic table / atomic symbol for the element tungsten. Never happened, as far as I can tell. If you're going to pretend to give some educational value in your books, don't do it with limp writing and pretend facts.

I worry that these books, with their tie-in marketing of card packs and the like are now being sold as a way to keep kids reading when they are so bland. Fortunately my son's interest has been piqued by another book now, and he's going to have a go at "The Hobbit". I worry, though: how much else in this new crop of "children's literature" is just as bad as what I've encountered so far? ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
This is a really good book about two kids that are on a dangerous race to find the thirty-nine clues - against their own relatives. No one is about to help Dan and Amy any time soon though, in fact, there are traps around every corner.
This is the second book in the series and is very good!
added by serenastory | editStudent

Gordon Kormanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Korman, Gordonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For all the brother-sister teams, from the Mozarts through the Cahills, from a grateful only child
The hunger strike began two hours east of Paris.

THIS JUST IN! Amy and Dan Cahill were spotted on a train, hot on the trail of one of 39 Clues hidden around the world. BUT WAIT! Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects ALSO sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. UPDATE! Amy and Dan have been seen in a car ... no, in a speedboat chase ... and HOLD EVERYTHING! They're being chased by an angry mob?!? When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

A million dollars, or a clue? Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. There's a car and speedboat chase and an angry mob! When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible