The 39 Clues Book 2: One False Note by…

The 39 Clues Book 2: One False Note

by Gordon Korman

My one issue with this book is that it sells the myth that Marie Antoinette said "Let them eat cake". There is no record of her ever saying that. I love that the series gets kids into history, I just don't want them learning the false history. ( )
  ChewDigest | Nov 17, 2014 |
Amy and Dan continue on their journey to find clues. In this book they are off to Japan. The two continue on the journey to find clues and battle their family to find out the families secret. ( )
  rcsmart12 | Dec 6, 2013 |
I actually liked this book better than the first in the series. Gordon Korman is a good juvenile author and I've read a few of his other books. Amy and Dan are now off to Japan. It's still a mystery who the man in black is...and it is unclear as to whether he is friend or foe. The next book in the series comes out in March. I'm looking forward to reading it. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
This is not actually a review of the book's, just a short commentary on it: for everyone out there who is happy that they/their children are learning a bit of history along the way, a) Marie Antoinette never said "Let them eat cake", it's a misattribution that was corrected years ago, and b)the French word used is actually brioche, not gateau, as the book incorrectly states.

Rant over.
  kaystj | Sep 24, 2013 |
Definitely a fast paced book! I couldn't believe how fast I read through this second installment of the 39 Clues! I see now why my daughter reads through them so quick. Now what did I think of it? It was good. I wasn't as excited about this one as I was the first one. Now I expected that all the books couldn't stay at the level of the first one, so I'm ok with it. I won't go into much details, because I don't want to give much away. What I did like was that it didn't rehash the entire first book. So many times I read a second book and it feels like a ton of it is just reviewing the previous story. This had some of that of course, but not so much that it got in the way of the current story. I also loved the pace - with 10 of these to read they CANNOT drag! They need to keep pulling the reader right along. What I didn't really like - the clues seemed a bit more convoluted and muddy. Even when they were all explained I still felt a little like I needed to say "uh?". The clues in the first book really fell together. These seemed like the pieces fit but someone didn't sand off the edges so they fit well. At the end I had to flip back and remind myself what was found.

What I am liking about the series as a whole is that not only are they fun and work your brain some - they teach you a bit. This one taught me some facts about Mozart I didn't know and I took piano lessons for 11 years! As a reader that is fun but as a teacher that is fantastic!

Final thought: Keeps the ball rolling and the clues coming
Best stick-with-you image: The Janus Head Quarters - cool!
Best for a reader who: liked the first book and likes mysteries
Best for ages: 8-12
  MrsBookOwl | Sep 14, 2013 |
This is a really good book about two kids that are on a dangerous race to find the thirty-nine clues - against their own relatives. No one is about to help Dan and Amy any time soon though, in fact, there are traps around every corner.
This is the second book in the series and is very good!
added by serenastory | editStudent

For all the brother-sister teams, from the Mozarts through the Cahills, from a grateful only child
The hunger strike began two hours east of Paris.

THIS JUST IN! Amy and Dan Cahill were spotted on a train, hot on the trail of one of 39 Clues hidden around the world. BUT WAIT! Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects ALSO sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. UPDATE! Amy and Dan have been seen in a car ... no, in a speedboat chase ... and HOLD EVERYTHING! They're being chased by an angry mob?!? When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

A million dollars, or a clue? Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. There's a car and speedboat chase and an angry mob! When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,920,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible