The 39 Clues Book 2: One False Note by…

The 39 Clues Book 2: One False Note

by Gordon Korman

In the second novel of the series, everyone is heading to Vienna after figuring out that the clue is about Mozart. Did you know that Mozart had a sister that was as good a musician as he was but did not have a chance to be educated? I did not - I even looked it up to make sure it was not an invention of Korman.

Amy and Dan get betrayed more times than I could count but they manage to make it through and find the next clue at the end (which after all is the whole point). But Vienna is not enough - Venice becomes a big part of the story, so do a few smaller places. And the rest of the players gets fleshed a bit better - not by much, they are still almost cartoonish in their decisions and actions (the Kabras for example order Dan and Amy to be thrown off a boat), there is another explosion and Saladin, the cat, goes on strike for a while.

I liked the writing in its book more than in the first - it sounded more mature and clearer. I did not expect it, considering that the book is written from a less known author, and his style makes me wonder if I should check what he had written outside of the series.

Let's see what will happen in the next book when we all go to Tokyo. ( )
  AnnieMod | Apr 1, 2016 |
Their grandmother's will gives Dan and Amy Cahill the choice of receiving a million dollars or uncovering the 39 clues hidden around the world that will lead to the source of the family's power. In book 2, Amy and Dan are spotted on a train, hot on the trail of one of 39 Clues hidden around the world. But, there is a police report from a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects also may be Amy and Dan. Readers visit the website and discover they are lost members of the Cahill family, so join the quest.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
Cute continuation of the story, but a little light on substance. The kids also seemed to follow gender stereotypes a bit more in Korman's version than in Riordan's. That's a definite downside to the idea of having a different author write each installment.

Not sure if I'll continue listening to the series, unless I'm in the mood for some pretty light-hearted fare. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
For me, this book fell a little flat. I was not happy with the 'Let Them Eat Cake' quote being attributed to Marie Antoinette. ( )
  martensgirl | May 29, 2015 |
The Cahill siblings Amy and Dan are on their own trying to find the 39 clues that their grandmother described in her will. The scavenger hunt is dangerous enough, but fighting with their extended family as well as the international flavor, makes these fun. ( )
  cyderry | Jan 3, 2015 |
This is a really good book about two kids that are on a dangerous race to find the thirty-nine clues - against their own relatives. No one is about to help Dan and Amy any time soon though, in fact, there are traps around every corner.
This is the second book in the series and is very good!
added by serenastory | editStudent

For all the brother-sister teams, from the Mozarts through the Cahills, from a grateful only child -- GK
The hunger strike began two hours east of Paris.

THIS JUST IN! Amy and Dan Cahill were spotted on a train, hot on the trail of one of 39 Clues hidden around the world. BUT WAIT! Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects ALSO sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. UPDATE! Amy and Dan have been seen in a car ... no, in a speedboat chase ... and HOLD EVERYTHING! They're being chased by an angry mob?!? When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

A million dollars, or a clue? Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. There's a car and speedboat chase and an angry mob! When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible