Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About…

Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage (edition 2005)

by Jon Cohen

Member:Midwives-Nottawasaga
Title:Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage
Authors:Jon Cohen
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2005), Edition: None, Hardcover, 288 pages

Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage by Jon Cohen

I have the bizarre need to emphasize that I am not pregnant, I am not planning to become pregnant, and I have never had a miscarriage. This book is in actual fact a rather amazing piece of work about a woefully under-studied branch of medicine that happens to be a profoundly emotional one for almost everyone involved. The stories Cohen tells in this book have a lot to say about other situations, too - like how we test and approve new treatments, how people under stress make (or more often fail to make) rational decisions, and just how much we don't know about the complexities of the human reproductive system. Fascinating stuff, and the writing takes a lot of complicated concepts filled with medical jargon and makes them understandable. A really excellent piece of nonfiction. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
I've only read two books on miscarriage but I would recommend this one strongly to anyone in need of such a read. An thorough overview of research into miscarriage, its causes, possible solutions, is provided and interspersed with the personal stories of those whom the author has crossed paths during his research into this topic, including his wife's and his own, during which they experienced four miscarriages before giving birth to their second child. ( )
  kopher7 | Aug 12, 2009 |
For Ryan and Aidan
On a brilliant, warm San Diego Saturday in the spring of 1996, my wife, Shannon, had her first miscarriage.

After his wife lost four pregnancies, Jon Cohen set out to gather the most comprehensive and accurate information on miscarriage – a topic shrouded in myth, hype, and uncertainty. The result of his mission is a uniquely revealing and inspirational book for every woman who has lost at least one pregnancy – and for her partner, family, and close friends.
Approaching the topic from a reporter's perspective, Cohen takes us on a surprising journey into the laboratories and clinics of researchers at the front, weaving together their cutting-edge findings with intimate portraits of a dozen families who have had difficulty bringing a baby to term. Couples who seek medical help for miscarriage often encounter conflicting information about the causes of pregnancy loss and ways to prevent it. Cohen's investigation synthesizes the latest scientific findings and unearths some surprising facts. We learn, for example, that nearly seven out of ten women who have had three or more miscarriages can still carry a child to term without medical intervention. Cohen also scrutinizes the full array of treatments, showing readers how to distinguish promising new options from the useless or even dangerous ones.
Coming to Term is the first book to turn a journalistic spotlight on a subject that has remained largely in the shadows. With an unrelenting eye and the compassion that comes from personal experience, Jon Cohen offers a message that is both enlightening and surprisingly hopeful.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:55 -0400)

"After his wife lost four pregnancies, Jon Cohen set out to gather the most comprehensive and accurate information on miscarriage - a topic shrouded in myth, hype, and uncertainty. The result of his mission is a uniquely revealing and inspirational book for every woman who has lost at least one pregnancy - and for her partner, family, and close friends." "Approaching the topic from a reporter's perspective, Cohen takes us on a journey into the laboratories and clinics of researchers at the front, weaving together their cutting-edge findings with intimate portraits of a dozen families who have had difficulty bringing a baby to term." "Couples who seek medical help for miscarriage often encounter conflicting information about the causes of pregnancy loss and ways to prevent it. Cohen's investigation synthesizes the latest scientific findings and unearths some surprising facts. We learn, for example, that nearly seven out of ten women who have had three or more miscarriages can still carry a child to term without medical intervention. Cohen also scrutinizes the full array of treatments, showing readers how to distinguish promising new options from the useless or even dangerous ones."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible