A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond

A Bear Called Paddington (1958)

by Michael Bond

Series: Paddington (1)

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Curious George by H. A. Rey (zjeszay)
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (48)  German (1)  All languages (49)
Mr. and Mrs. Brown come across a bear at Paddington Station. He's alone and immigrating from "Darkest Peru", and they decide to take him home where he soon becomes a part of the family, winning over their children and even the dour housekeeper. Paddington seems to have a knack for finding trouble, but everything is always alright in the end.

Nothing to complain about from the narrator of the audiobook, Stephen Fry, but I was a little disappointed in the story. It's very episodic and most of the humor is Paddington sort of innocently getting into trouble. I probably would've found it charming when I was younger and reading books such has Hitty: Her First Hundred Years (and actually, the beginning seemed so familiar I wondered if I had read it once). Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me as an adult. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 18, 2018 |
I read this to my four- and seven-year-old daughters. We saw the movie in the theater on one of their birthdays and they loved it so I thought we should read the book. The beginning was almost identical to the movie, but after that, the stories were completely different. My girls loved the book as well. We look forward to reading more Paddington books in the future. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
This whimsical tale was a fun read. You were able to understand that the theme of the story was friendship and kindness by the Brown's taking Paddington in when they did not have to. It reminded me of someone who may have not had a great life, to suddenly be shown what love from a stranger, can really do for them. I enjoyed his "adventures" and how he seems to charm many people, and not charm people at the same time! ( )
  KrystalKeroack | Mar 18, 2018 |
I don't know how I haven't read Paddington Bear before. The stories of this good-natured, polite but accident-prone bear from Darkest Peru are a delightful escape for anyone. ( )
  neverstopreading | Jan 16, 2018 |
The writing is a little dated in this classic, but in a pleasant way. It's humorous throughout, but not laugh-out-loud funny. All the characters are great, the exciting scenes aren't too much for little ones to deal with. Overall, it shows why it's a classic and my kids enjoyed it as I read it to them over the course of a few nights. ( )
  Sean191 | Dec 22, 2017 |

Michael Bondprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alley, R.W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortnum, PeggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fry, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warne, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr and Mrs Brown first met Paddington on a railway platform.
Things are always happening to me. I'm that sort of bear.
He was just thinking what a lot of excitement pressing one small button could cause when a heavy hand descended on his shoulder.
Paddington had a very persistent stare when he cared to use it. It was a very powerful stare. One which his Aunt Lucy had taught him and which he kept for special occasions.
ISBN 0907486940 is titled A Bear Called Paddington, but it is for an omnibus with 5 of the novels.

Contains: PLEASE LOOK AFTER THIS BEAR, A BEAR IN HOT WATER, PADDINGTON GOES UNDERGROUND, A SHOPPING EXPEDITION, PADDINGTON AND THE `OLD MASTER', A VISIT TO THE THEATRE, ADVENTURE AT THE SEASIDE, A DISAPPEARING TRICK
замечательная книжка для вечернего чтения детям -- дочь слушала взапой, переспрашивала и просила показать картинки, похоже станет любимой книгой для вечернего чтения
Peruvian Bear
Polite yet accident prone
Moves to the UK
(neverstopreading)

Mr. and Mrs. Brown first met Paddington--a most endearing bear from Darkest Peru--on a railway platform in London. A sign hanging around his neck said, "Please look after this bear. Thank you" So that is just what they did.

From the very first night when he attempted his first bath and ended up nearly flooding the house, Paddington was seldom far from imminent disaster. Jonathan and Judy were delighted with this havoc and even Mr. and Mrs. Brown had to admit that life seemed to be more filled with adventure when there was a bear in the house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:15 -0400)

The Browns first met Paddington on a railway station - Paddington station, in fact. He had travelled all the way from darkest Peru. 6 yrs+.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,958,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible