Kitty Goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty Goes to Washington (edition 2006)

by Carrie Vaughn

Rating:*****
Tags:2006, series, urban fantasy, werewolves, cheesecake cover

Kitty Goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn

Recently added byrena75, RobFaggart

English (79)  German (1)  All languages (80)
Not as strong as the first but still highly entertaining. The legal and scientific references give inevitability a stronger foothold in Kitty's world. ( )
  aspirit | Mar 6, 2019 |
So Kitty goes to Washington, meets some interesting were's and a vampire. Crazy times abound. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I liked this so much better than the first book. The first book was super-triggery for me, with Kitty's submissive nature and the sex-dominance-control thing going on in her pack. This book was Kitty learning how to be Kitty and I kind of like her when she's on her own. This book is enough for me to look forward to picking up book 3 and reading it.

Kitty's in DC to testify before a Senate committee. Her lawyer, Ben, is there with her, and Ben turns out to be kind of a cool guy, definitely the rock Kitty needs. I worried for a while that Kitty was forming her own super team with all the people she was picking up--the reporter who knows magic, the psychic channeler--but it seems only one of those might reappear in a good way.

Vampires become a little more, well, human, after meeting the Mistress of the City whose human servants are all her descendents. She cares for them and does not live surrounded by other vampires, preferring not to bring over anyone who doesn't fully understand the life. I liked her. She and Kitty have a little bit of a touching scene about jewelry which for Kitty and maybe the vampire was more about having a little bit of what passes for normalcy in their lives.

I also liked the club of weres Kitty discovers through her were-jaguar sex partner. All sorts of weres hang out there, not just wolves, and they say that DC's international flavor is the reason for this. There are no packs there, but the club seems to be some sort of were embassy, so to speak. Kitty feels at home there and she needs that.

Now for the disappointing part. Elijah Smith, the faith healer from the first book, is back in this one. He's working with Senator Duke and testifying before the committee. He's just as terrifying and mysterious as ever. And then a page later we find out what he is, a page after that he's conquered and gone. Um, what? Waste of a character. He could have been a book of his own.

The big thing of this book is what I'm going to call Kitty's first TV appearance. I'm not sure why that was a good thing to do at this point in the series or even what purpose it serves. I'm hoping that comes clear in the next book. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
~ 3 Stars ~

Kitty Goes to Washington is book two in Carrie Vaughn's series "Kitty Norville". It is an improvement from the first book Kitty and the Midnight Hour. We still have the radio aspect which I really enjoy. The hummer helps lighting the mood and I get the impression that Kitty is intelligent and well-read.

I still have some issues with the series. Like her thinking that her pack was nice. Her pack was not all that great! The reminiscing at the begging of the book got me frustrated. Yes, she has lost her pack mate and best friend TJ, she's been kicked out of her pack and now has to do her radio show on the road. The other thing that got on my nerves is one minute she was sure of herself (mostly when on the air behind her microphone) and the next she was shying away scared of the world. She keeps having to fight herself/wolf to stay human and stand her ground.

With this second installment it was a much more entertaining read. I want to continue the series and see where things go. Though it's not a series I will be re-reading and I still have some issues with Kitty.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
I'm quite enjoying this series so far. I'm glad to see characters from book 1 explained more (such as Smith) and all the new characters were interesting in their own way and I hope to see more of some of them in the future. Can Kitty make a return trip to DC at some point during this series please? :) ( )
  WeeWeegieBookworm | Mar 24, 2018 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey,DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Robbie. The Force will be with us, always.
"We have Beth from Tampa on the line. Hello."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616427, Mass Market Paperback)

Celebrity werewolf and late-night radio host Kitty Norville prefers to be heard and not seen. So when she's invited to testify at a Senate hearing on behalf of supernaturals, and her face gets plastered on national TV, she inherits a new set of friends, and enemies, including the vampire mistress of the city; an über-hot Brazilian were-jaguar; and a Bible-thumping senator who wants to expose Kitty as a monster. Kitty quickly learns that in this city of dirty politicians and backstabbing pundits, everyone's itching for a fight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:39 -0400)

As the nation's only celebrity werewolf, reclusive late-night radio host Kitty Norville finds her life invaded by publicity after she is summoned to Washington, D.C., to testify at a Senate hearing on behalf of supernaturals, and is confronted by a slew of new friends and enemies, including the city's vampire mistress, a sexy Brazilian were-jaguar, and a paranoid senator out to expose her.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible