The Age of Chivalry by Arthur Bryant

The Age of Chivalry

by Arthur Bryant

Following Makers of the Realm, the second volume of Arthur Bryant's Story of England focuses on the Middle Ages, a time when England underwent many important religious and secular changes.

1300 - 1400
Edward I to Richard II
  PeterMuir | Apr 16, 2011 |
1456 The Age of Chivalry, by Sir Arthur Bryant (read 9 July 1977) This is volume two in Bryant's survey of English history, and, in contrast to my reaction to volume one (Makers of England), I enjoyed it greatly. It covers the reigns of the three Edwards, and up to the end of the Peasants' Revolt in June 1381. Edward I did much for law, but in his dotage things went badly, and he died July 7, 1307, within sight of the Scottish border. The battle o Bannockburn was fought June 24, 1314, and was the greatest military disaster in English history. Edward II was deposed Jan 25, 1327 and died September 1327. Edward III started off great, won the battle of Crecy on Aug. 26, 1346, and reveled in his son's (the Back Prince's) triumph at Poitiers in September 1356, but the aftereffects of the Black Death (1348-1352) changed all. The account of the Wat Tyler Revolt is excellent--I don't know I had realized how serious it was: reminded me of the French Revolution. A great book. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jan 24, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,197,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible