Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club (1996)

by Chuck Palahniuk

13,400194163 (4.12)163
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Sylak)
    Sylak: A man unwittingly becomes involved in a surreal underworld parallel to his own.
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    Ultra Fuckers by Carlton Mellick III (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: Like Fight Club, Ultra Fuckers is anti-conformist and could be beloved by hipsters. Unlike Fight Club, Ultra Fuckers does not take itself very seriously. It's also much more weird.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (arthurfrayn)
    The Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman (FFortuna)
    Ghosted by Shaughnessy Bishop-Stall (Liffey)
    Mr. Overby Is Falling by Nathan Tyree (catdog2)
    catdog2: similar themes
    The Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt (CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: Like Palahniuk's Joe, Arlt's Remo Erdosain seeks salvation through depravity and self-destruction in the midst of an urban wasteland.
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Ti99er)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (keristars)
    keristars: Palahniuk says in an afterword that Fight Club was intended to be similar to the Great Gatsby. In a way, it really is - there's a similar mood and sort of feeling of despair at modern society, though the Great Gatsby was written and occurs seventy years before Fight Club. The relationships between the primary three characters in each novel are also similar.… (more)

English (182)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  All languages (193)
"ASTONISHING." - Seattle Times
"HOT." - Thom Jones
"UTTERLY ORIGINAL." - Publishers Weekly
"FEROCIOUS." - Dennis Cooper
"AMAZING." - Barry Hannah
"BRILLIANT." - Kirkus Reviews.

"AWESOME." - Donnamira.

Puestos a hacer una crítica tan corta... ( )
  5oclockgazpacho | Nov 22, 2014 |
Felt way more pretentious than the film, which I loved. I dunno, it's probably not aimed at me, but I didn't feel like I got anything out of this that I didn't get out of watching the film. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Before anything else, let me state that I did not watch the movie before I decided to read this book, so I wasn't sure of what I was expecting, so I think I can say that when I read this book, I was pretty open-minded regarding anything that could cross the story. When I was more or less in the middle of the book, I was starting to think that I had some kind of problem understanding what exactly was the point of this book. The story just didn't make any sense, it seemed like a series of random flashes of memory that the main character had. After I reached chapter 20, most of it started to make some sense, but when I finished the book, I had the feeling that it didn't really add much in my life. It has some very wise phrases, ok. In a subtle way, it says: "if you're doing something in your life that you don't like, stop spending time with that and go do something useful". And if that was the purpose of the book, I'm glad I was able to figure the message out. As for the Fight Club, the fact of it being there or not didn't really make much difference.

So my overall thoughts about this book? It is fast-paced. It doesn't seem to obey to a logical order. It's made of random facts and occurrences that don't seem to have any connection, but they end up coming up together at a certain point of the book. Not exactly my favorite style. I get the feeling that I'll enjoy the movie a lot more. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
I came to this already knowing the plot twist – I suppose when a novel becomes famous...becomes a film, these things tend to leech out. It was still a good read – I like the way he structures the story, each chapter appearing to take you off at a tangent, but always leading you back to familiar ground in the end. There is a feeling, too, of danger and of infinite possibilities. You could never accuse it of being safe or predictable. If I hadn’t known how it turns out, would I have guessed? Probably not. ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | Jul 18, 2014 |
I'll admit it. I only wanted to read this because I love the movie. I've had it in my mind to read for several months. Ever since I saw it at a bookstore, opened it randomly to a page, and read. For whatever reason, I didn't buy the book then, but yesterday I corrected that error.

The book was soooo good. Even knowing the big 'twist' that hits at the end (if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about). In fact, I was able to read and find the evidence for it.

Wow. It was SOO good. Really good. I'm so happy that I finally bought it. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
A volatile, brilliantly creepy satire filled with esoteric tips for causing destruction, Fight Club marks Chuck Palahniuk's debut as a novelist. Ever wonder how to pollute a plumbing system with red dye, or inject an ATM machine with axle grease or vanilla pudding? Along with instructions for executing such quirky acts of urban terrorism, Fight Club offers diabolically sharp and funny writing.

This brilliant bit of nihilism succeeds where so many self-described transgressive novels do not: It's dangerous because it's so compelling.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Every generation frightens and unnerves its parents, and Palahniuk's first novel is gen X's most articulate assault yet on baby-boomer sensibilities. This is a dark and disturbing book that dials directly into youthful angst and will likely horrify the parents of teens and twentysomethings. It's also a powerful, and possibly brilliant, first novel.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Thomas Gaughan

Caustic, outrageous, bleakly funny, violent and always unsettling, Palahniuk's utterly original creation will make even the most jaded reader sit up and take notice.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colby, JamesReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol Meader, who puts up with all my bad behavior.
Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.
1. You don't talk about fight club.

2. You don't talk about fight club.

3. When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.

4. Only two guys to a fight.

5. One fight at a time.

6. They fight without shirts or shoes.

7. The fights go on as long as they have to.

8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

– Fight Club, pages 48–50

"Don't think of it as extinction. Think of it as downsizing."
It was that morning that Tyler Durden invented Project Mayhem.
This is the novel, not the film or screenplay.

Many fight club rules.
Do not talk about fight club.
Wait... who is Tyler?
(hiddenpunk)
Where's Tyler Durden?
Every time I turn around
Seems he has just left.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393327345, Paperback)

The only person who gets called Ballardesque more often than Chuck Palahniuk is, well... J.G. Ballard. So, does Portland, Oregon's "torchbearer for the nihilistic generation" deserve that kind of treatment? Yes and no. There is a resemblance between Fight Club and works such as Crash and Cocaine Nights in that both see the innocuous mundanities of everyday life as nothing more than the severely loosened cap on a seething underworld cauldron of unchecked impulse and social atrocity. Welcome to the present-day U.S. of A. As Ballard's characters get their jollies from staging automobile accidents, Palahniuk's yuppies unwind from a day at the office by organizing bloodsport rings and selling soap to fund anarchist overthrows. Let's just say that neither of these guys are going to be called in to do a Full House script rewrite any time soon.

But while the ingredients are the same, Ballard and Palahniuk bake at completely different temperatures. Unlike his British counterpart, who tends to cast his American protagonists in a chilly light, holding them close enough to dissect but far enough away to eliminate any possibility of kinship, Palahniuk isn't happy unless he's first-person front and center, completely entangled in the whole sordid mess. An intensely psychological novel that never runs the risk of becoming clinical, Fight Club is about both the dangers of loyalty and the dreaded weight of leadership, the desire to band together and the compulsion to head for the hills. In short, it's about the pride and horror of being an American, rendered in lethally swift prose. Fight Club's protagonist might occasionally become foggy about who he truly is (you'll see what I mean), but one thing is for certain: you're not likely to forget the book's author. Never mind Ballardesque. Palahniukian here we come! --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:26 -0400)

The rise of a terrorist organization, led by a waiter who enjoys spitting in people's soup. He starts a fighting club, where men bash each other, and the club quickly gains in popularity. It becomes the springboard for a movement devoted to destruction for destruction's sake.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393327345, 0393039765

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,011,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible