Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Chuck Palahniuk

13,829207151 (4.11)178
Title:Fight Club
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:An Owl Book / Henry Holt and Co. (1997), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (1996)

Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (Sylak)
    Sylak: A man unwittingly becomes involved in a surreal underworld parallel to his own.
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    Ultra Fuckers by Carlton Mellick III (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: Like Fight Club, Ultra Fuckers is anti-conformist and could be beloved by hipsters. Unlike Fight Club, Ultra Fuckers does not take itself very seriously. It's also much more weird.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (arthurfrayn)
    The Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman (FFortuna)
    Ghosted by Shaughnessy Bishop-Stall (Liffey)
    Mr. Overby Is Falling by Nathan Tyree (catdog2)
    catdog2: similar themes
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt (CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: Like Palahniuk's Joe, Arlt's Remo Erdosain seeks salvation through depravity and self-destruction in the midst of an urban wasteland.
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Ti99er)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (keristars)
    keristars: Palahniuk says in an afterword that Fight Club was intended to be similar to the Great Gatsby. In a way, it really is - there's a similar mood and sort of feeling of despair at modern society, though the Great Gatsby was written and occurs seventy years before Fight Club. The relationships between the primary three characters in each novel are also similar.… (more)

English (194)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  All languages (205)
Klassikoksi muodostunut yhteiskuntakriittinen romaani, joka pitää otteessaan. Tarina ja lopun käänne jäävät kummittelemaan mieleen. Ehdottomasti yksi suosikeistani. ( )
  Saimi_15 | Nov 28, 2015 |
Fight Club is a gritty, psychological thriller that has you turning each scenario around in your head, trying to figure out exactly what is going on. Having seen the movie first (as I'm sure is the case with many others), I knew going into it all major surprises and twists; however, the movie adaptation was unable to convey the narrator's voice and personal torment quite the way the novel does. The style of writing and narration was slightly different from anything I've read before, but it fit the story perfectly. It is a book that is best read without additional information beyond the synopsis, but I will say that it is much more than what the name implies. While not overly violent, the imagery created allows for a dark and semi-disturbing read. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club. And the second rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club. So how to talk about Fight Club? Hmmm... Well, Tyler Durden is the founder and leader of Fight Club. He also started the Paper Street Soap Company. And he is the leader of the Committee of Mischief and Mayhem. And all of these also lead to his best friend, the narrator of the story. That's what I can say about Right Club. I had seen the movie a few times before reading the book, so it was hard to separate the two; I kept expecting one plot twist, but getting something else, and expecting the story to go a certain way and it didn't. That said, I still liked the book. Very intriguing. Since I knew the premise of the story from the movie, I could definitely see the clues to the twist as I read; if I had read the book first, I don't know that I would have picked up on the clues until the end, when it is made very clear. I wish I had read the book first! Glad I read it, though. ( )
  litgirl29 | Oct 8, 2015 |
Great book. Everything I expected it to be, and a little more. ( )
  allyofthedawn | Sep 12, 2015 |
I am really glad to finally read the book. Seeing the movie beforehand did conflict with the main plot twist, but the movie ends differently. I prefer the ending in the book. Definitely a great read. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Sep 6, 2015 |
A volatile, brilliantly creepy satire filled with esoteric tips for causing destruction, Fight Club marks Chuck Palahniuk's debut as a novelist. Ever wonder how to pollute a plumbing system with red dye, or inject an ATM machine with axle grease or vanilla pudding? Along with instructions for executing such quirky acts of urban terrorism, Fight Club offers diabolically sharp and funny writing.
This brilliant bit of nihilism succeeds where so many self-described transgressive novels do not: It's dangerous because it's so compelling.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews
Every generation frightens and unnerves its parents, and Palahniuk's first novel is gen X's most articulate assault yet on baby-boomer sensibilities. This is a dark and disturbing book that dials directly into youthful angst and will likely horrify the parents of teens and twentysomethings. It's also a powerful, and possibly brilliant, first novel.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Thomas Gaughan
Caustic, outrageous, bleakly funny, violent and always unsettling, Palahniuk's utterly original creation will make even the most jaded reader sit up and take notice.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colby, JamesReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol Meader, who puts up with all my bad behavior.
Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.
1. You don't talk about fight club.

2. You don't talk about fight club.

3. When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.

4. Only two guys to a fight.

5. One fight at a time.

6. They fight without shirts or shoes.

7. The fights go on as long as they have to.

8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

– Fight Club, pages 48–50

"Don't think of it as extinction. Think of it as downsizing."
It was that morning that Tyler Durden invented Project Mayhem.
This is the novel, not the film or screenplay.

Many fight club rules.
Do not talk about fight club.
Wait... who is Tyler?
Where's Tyler Durden?
Every time I turn around
Seems he has just left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393327345, Paperback)

The only person who gets called Ballardesque more often than Chuck Palahniuk is, well... J.G. Ballard. So, does Portland, Oregon's "torchbearer for the nihilistic generation" deserve that kind of treatment? Yes and no. There is a resemblance between Fight Club and works such as Crash and Cocaine Nights in that both see the innocuous mundanities of everyday life as nothing more than the severely loosened cap on a seething underworld cauldron of unchecked impulse and social atrocity. Welcome to the present-day U.S. of A. As Ballard's characters get their jollies from staging automobile accidents, Palahniuk's yuppies unwind from a day at the office by organizing bloodsport rings and selling soap to fund anarchist overthrows. Let's just say that neither of these guys are going to be called in to do a Full House script rewrite any time soon.

But while the ingredients are the same, Ballard and Palahniuk bake at completely different temperatures. Unlike his British counterpart, who tends to cast his American protagonists in a chilly light, holding them close enough to dissect but far enough away to eliminate any possibility of kinship, Palahniuk isn't happy unless he's first-person front and center, completely entangled in the whole sordid mess. An intensely psychological novel that never runs the risk of becoming clinical, Fight Club is about both the dangers of loyalty and the dreaded weight of leadership, the desire to band together and the compulsion to head for the hills. In short, it's about the pride and horror of being an American, rendered in lethally swift prose. Fight Club's protagonist might occasionally become foggy about who he truly is (you'll see what I mean), but one thing is for certain: you're not likely to forget the book's author. Never mind Ballardesque. Palahniukian here we come! --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:47 -0400)

The rise of a terrorist organization, led by a waiter who enjoys spitting in people's soup. He starts a fighting club, where men bash each other, and the club quickly gains in popularity. It becomes the springboard for a movement devoted to destruction for destruction's sake.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393327345, 0393039765

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible