Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Chuck Palahniuk

Member:vzuloaga
Title:Fight Club
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:An Owl Book / Henry Holt and Co. (1997), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (1996)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Sylak)
    Sylak: A man unwittingly becomes involved in a surreal underworld parallel to his own.
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    Ultra Fuckers by Carlton Mellick III (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: Like Fight Club, Ultra Fuckers is anti-conformist and could be beloved by hipsters. Unlike Fight Club, Ultra Fuckers does not take itself very seriously. It's also much more weird.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (arthurfrayn)
    The Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman (FFortuna)
    Ghosted by Shaughnessy Bishop-Stall (Liffey)
    Mr. Overby Is Falling by Nathan Tyree (catdog2)
    catdog2: similar themes
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt (CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: Like Palahniuk's Joe, Arlt's Remo Erdosain seeks salvation through depravity and self-destruction in the midst of an urban wasteland.
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Ti99er)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (keristars)
    keristars: Palahniuk says in an afterword that Fight Club was intended to be similar to the Great Gatsby. In a way, it really is - there's a similar mood and sort of feeling of despair at modern society, though the Great Gatsby was written and occurs seventy years before Fight Club. The relationships between the primary three characters in each novel are also similar.… (more)

English (210)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  All languages (221)
Les contaría lo mucho que me encantó éste libro, pero la primera regla del club de la lucha es que nadie habla del club de la lucha —y no quiero romper la regla, le tengo miedito a Tyler—.

PD: Lo unico que puedo decir es que si eres fanático (como yo) de los giros finales inesperados, tipo Sexto Sentido, esos que te dejan pensando un rato "¿cómo no me di cuenta?", entonces TIENES que leer éste libro. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I'm really thankful that I don't get this one. ( )
  gpaisley | Jun 18, 2016 |
Disturbing and thought-provoking, Fight Club is a book which must enter any conversation about which novels of our time will go on to be remembered as classics, as culturally significant pieces of work. Of course, a large chunk of Fight Club's cultural impact is down to the 1999 film adaptation but, even though a lot of people don't know there was a book preceding it, the book started it all. Immensely quotable and written with a barely-restrained edge of cynical anger, it tapped into a whole generation's angst and anxiety. It captured the resentment at the lack of direction that people, particularly men, felt in the Western consumer-driven society of the mid-Nineties - a feeling which still carries weight today.

I am reluctant to go on about the themes which Chuck Palahniuk addresses in this short book, particularly as he casts his own cynical eye over such speculation in his afterword (written in 2005 for a new edition of the book, some nine years after its first publication). But essentially this train of thought about the lack of direction and, particularly, a lack of (male) identity, is the book's main focus. Regarding the latter, everyone by now knows (surely?) about the big twist in the plot, about identity and Tyler and our lost protagonist. I won't spoil it for those few who don't know it, but it is rather neat. Those who do know the twist (usually, like myself, from watching the film) can still have fun reading the book and spotting the numerous hints about it. They are all rather clever.

The book itself is very dark in its subject matter but is still very easy to read and one can breeze through it, which is always a quality I admire in books. It's also rather fortunate that people immediately recognised Fight Club as a satire. If you read it straight, you could mistake it for some kind of extremist tract in the vein of The Turner Diaries. I briefly researched right-wing extremist literature for my Masters dissertation at university and, with its disenfranchised protagonist, instructions on how to make bombs, its monologues on social injustice and its calls for action and anarchy, one can easily see the similarities. It is rather disturbing, and makes you realise that, though the vast majority of people are centre, or centre-left, or centre-right on the political spectrum, those at the extreme ends are, for all their differences to us, still on the same spectrum. They're not so far removed that we can say, we'll never be one of them. That centre area of that spectrum can get awful slippery.

This is because a lot of people can relate to this feeling of despair at modern society, and that feeling of just wanting to rage and lash out from time to time. Most of us have some degree of disenchantment with the world as it is, and a resentment at our cramped airline seat role in the world", as Palahniuk puts it (pg. 173). Fight Club is a good novel because it is well-plotted and well-written, making it accessible to all. But it is this appeal to our universally-held darker thoughts which made it a phenomenon. It acts, like a lot of great satire, as a black mirror for our society and for ourselves to examine who we are. It acknowledges we might not like what we see. As Palahniuk writes, "maybe the point is not to forget the rest of yourself if one little part might go bad." (pg. 105). It is because it disturbs us so greatly that we all broke the first rule of fight club: we all started talking about fight club." ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
How much would I have enjoyed this book if I had never seen the movie? Unfortunately, I'll never know.

What I do know is that I blitzed through the second half of this book as though my huevos were on the line. ( )
  HenryJOlsen | May 21, 2016 |
Fight Club
by Chuck Palahniuk
2-1/2*

I'm the first one to admit I'm probably one of the least hip people you'll meet, so perhaps that is the reason I didn't see the appeal this book holds for so many people. I don't find childish, rebellious pranks funny, nor do I like the idea of a disturbed person holding sway over so many other people. If all these also-rans are rebelling against their miserable lives by peeing in someone else's soup just to prove to themselves that they do have some power in the world, then why are they still willing to do someone else's bidding? They have just allowed someone other than their bosses to control their puppet strings.

I'm sure there is a deeper meaning that I'm just not understanding. I didn't like MTV's Jackass either and couldn't watch more than a partial episode after seeing Johnny or whoever defecating in a display model toilet at a hardware store. Too immature for my taste. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | May 8, 2016 |
A volatile, brilliantly creepy satire filled with esoteric tips for causing destruction, Fight Club marks Chuck Palahniuk's debut as a novelist. Ever wonder how to pollute a plumbing system with red dye, or inject an ATM machine with axle grease or vanilla pudding? Along with instructions for executing such quirky acts of urban terrorism, Fight Club offers diabolically sharp and funny writing.

This brilliant bit of nihilism succeeds where so many self-described transgressive novels do not: It's dangerous because it's so compelling.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Every generation frightens and unnerves its parents, and Palahniuk's first novel is gen X's most articulate assault yet on baby-boomer sensibilities. This is a dark and disturbing book that dials directly into youthful angst and will likely horrify the parents of teens and twentysomethings. It's also a powerful, and possibly brilliant, first novel.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Thomas Gaughan

Caustic, outrageous, bleakly funny, violent and always unsettling, Palahniuk's utterly original creation will make even the most jaded reader sit up and take notice.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colby, JamesReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol Meader, who puts up with all my bad behavior.
Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.
1. You don't talk about fight club.

2. You don't talk about fight club.

3. When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.

4. Only two guys to a fight.

5. One fight at a time.

6. They fight without shirts or shoes.

7. The fights go on as long as they have to.

8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

– Fight Club, pages 48–50

"Don't think of it as extinction. Think of it as downsizing."
It was that morning that Tyler Durden invented Project Mayhem.
This is the novel, not the film or screenplay.

Many fight club rules.
Do not talk about fight club.
Wait... who is Tyler?
(hiddenpunk)
Where's Tyler Durden?
Every time I turn around
Seems he has just left.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393327345, Paperback)

The only person who gets called Ballardesque more often than Chuck Palahniuk is, well... J.G. Ballard. So, does Portland, Oregon's "torchbearer for the nihilistic generation" deserve that kind of treatment? Yes and no. There is a resemblance between Fight Club and works such as Crash and Cocaine Nights in that both see the innocuous mundanities of everyday life as nothing more than the severely loosened cap on a seething underworld cauldron of unchecked impulse and social atrocity. Welcome to the present-day U.S. of A. As Ballard's characters get their jollies from staging automobile accidents, Palahniuk's yuppies unwind from a day at the office by organizing bloodsport rings and selling soap to fund anarchist overthrows. Let's just say that neither of these guys are going to be called in to do a Full House script rewrite any time soon.

But while the ingredients are the same, Ballard and Palahniuk bake at completely different temperatures. Unlike his British counterpart, who tends to cast his American protagonists in a chilly light, holding them close enough to dissect but far enough away to eliminate any possibility of kinship, Palahniuk isn't happy unless he's first-person front and center, completely entangled in the whole sordid mess. An intensely psychological novel that never runs the risk of becoming clinical, Fight Club is about both the dangers of loyalty and the dreaded weight of leadership, the desire to band together and the compulsion to head for the hills. In short, it's about the pride and horror of being an American, rendered in lethally swift prose. Fight Club's protagonist might occasionally become foggy about who he truly is (you'll see what I mean), but one thing is for certain: you're not likely to forget the book's author. Never mind Ballardesque. Palahniukian here we come! --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:47 -0400)

The rise of a terrorist organization, led by a waiter who enjoys spitting in people's soup. He starts a fighting club, where men bash each other, and the club quickly gains in popularity. It becomes the springboard for a movement devoted to destruction for destruction's sake.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393327345, 0393039765

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,831,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible