Soffocare by Chuck Palahniuk

Soffocare (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Chuck Palahniuk

10,598154389 (3.59)1 / 130
Member:sbonzix
Title:Soffocare
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Mondadori (2002), Paperback, 282 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, Finished

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (2001)

English (145)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (155)
Extravagante novela, protagonizada por Víctor, un joven que se gana la vida con dos dispares trabajos: Un parque temático ambientado en el s.XVIII y asfixiarse en los restaurantes para que otros le salven la vida y se dediquen a cuidar de él.

Lleno de tintes sarcásticos, humor negro, drama y filosofía, está narrada con absoluta sencillez, aunque con completas figuras e ilustraciones que no siempre son fáciles de digerir. El sexo por el sexo tiene gran importancia, narrado con vocabulario agresivo y soez. Apenas hay descripciones de los lugares o los personajes, aunque sí de los sentimientos y sensaciones. No es una novela brillante, pero sí que es ingeniosa y, desde luego, no resulta indiferente. ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
Loved this book. Took me twice to try to read it to get into it, though. I picked it up one day, wasn't impressed, and then I waited several months before trying it again. I'm glad I re-tried it! This book is definitely in my top 10. This book is more than just a good story; it's good literature. It takes some adjusting to look past the shock value and harsh words: but trust me, there IS literary value in this book. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
A good, quick read. It was true Palahniuk - Bukowski influenced - style fuck the system/make the system work for you piece of literature that probably won't change your day to day, but probably could if you were the type of person to look for sex in airplane bathrooms. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
Irracontabile

Tutti i libri di Palahniuk sono diversi tra loro con storie difficili da raccontare. Molteplici livelli, dove la realtà è spesso un contorno sbiadito eppur fondamentale al disagio interiore che esplode in un linguaggio duro e violento, vengono tenuti a bada ed orchestrati con la sicurezza di uno che sa dove vuole arrivare. Già, ma dove vuole arrivare? Qual è il punto della situazione? Forse è proprio questo il punto: che non c'è un punto... d'arrivo. Forse ci devono bastare semplicemente le parole di Victor: "Cerchiamo di creare la nostra realtà alternativa. Di costruire un mondo partendo dalle pietre e dal caos. Cosa ne verrà fuori, non ne ho idea. [...] E forse saperlo serve a poco."
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
Chuck Palahniuk's writing is not for everybody, but he is an extremely imaginative writer. ( )
  kerryp | Nov 30, 2017 |
Choke seizes the dirty truth disguised beneath our modern glamours and screams it loudly into your ear. You may find yourself feeling unusually militant after reading Choke – consider this a warning.

In Chuck Palahniuk's 1996 cult novel ''Fight Club,'' a young man escapes the emasculating boredom of modern life by indulging his violent, antisocial impulses. Victor Mancini, the narrator of Palahniuk's energetic, exasperating new book, also keeps in close touch with his inner bad boy, though what it is he's trying to escape is less clear. His operating principle is ''What would Jesus NOT do?''

''If you're going to read this, don't bother.'' So Chuck Palahniuk introduces the reader to Choke, showcasing the punkish style of his fourth novel from line one. The narrator, Victor Mancini, continues: ''After a couple pages, you won't want to be here,'' he warns. ''Save yourself.'' The hero's warning is the author's awkward wink, and there, in the third paragraph, you have the story's over-worked theme: salvation.

So ''Choke'' is an uneven but still raw and vital book, punctuated with outrageous, off-the-wall moments that work as often as not.

For Lump.
Forever.
If you are going to read this, don't bother.
"Sobriety is okay enough," Denny says, "but someday, I'd like to live a life based on doing good stuff instead of just not doing bad stuff. You know?"
You could put most of these folks [in an old-people's home] in front of a mirror and tell them it's a television special about old dying miserable people, and they'd watch it for hours.
Ten times out of ten, a guy means I love this [when he says I love you].
When it comes down to a choice between being unloved and being vulnerable and sensitive and emotional, then you can just keep your love.
This is the novel, not the film.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385720920, Paperback)

Victor Mancini is a ruthless con artist. Victor Mancini is a med-school dropout who's taken a job playing an Irish indentured servant in a colonial-era theme park in order to help care for his Alzheimer's-afflicted mother. Victor Mancini is a sex addict. Victor Mancini is a direct descendant of Jesus Christ. All of these statements about the protagonist of Choke are more or less true. Welcome, once again, to the world of Chuck Palahniuk.

"Art never comes from happiness." So says Mancini's mother only a few pages into the novel. Given her own dicey and melodramatic style of parenting, you would think that her son's life would be chock-full of nothing but art. Alas, that's not the case. In the fine tradition of Oedipus, Stephen Dedalus, and Anthony Soprano, Victor hasn't quite reconciled his issues with his mother. Instead, he's trawling sexual-addiction recovery meetings for dates and purposely choking in restaurants for a few moments of attention. Longing for a hug, in other words, he's settling for the Heimlich.

Thematically, this is pretty familiar Palahniuk territory. It would be a pity to disclose the surprises of the plot, but suffice it to say that what we have here is a little bit of Tom Robbins's Another Roadside Attraction, a little bit of Don DeLillo's The Day Room, and, well, a little bit of Fight Club. Just as with Fight Club and the other two novels under Palahniuk's belt, we get a smattering of gloriously unflinching sound bites, including this skeptical bit on prayer chains: "A spiritual pyramid scheme. As if you can gang up on God. Bully him around."

Whether this is the novel that will break Palahniuk into the mainstream is hard to say. For a fourth book, in fact, the ratio of iffy, "dude"-intensive dialogue to interesting and insightful passages is a little higher than we might wish. In the end, though, the author's nerve and daring pull the whole thing off--just barely. And what's next for Victor Mancini's creator? Leave the last word to him, declaring as he does in the final pages: "Maybe it's our job to invent something better.... What it's going to be, I don't know." --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:19 -0400)

Victor Mancini, a medical-school dropout, is an antihero for our deranged times. Needing to pay elder care for his mother, Victor has devised an ingenious scam: he pretends to choke on pieces of food while dining in upscale restaurants. He then allows himself to be "saved" by fellow patrons who, feeling responsible for Victor's life, go on to send checks to support him. When he's not pulling this stunt, Victor cruises sexual addiction recovery workshops for action, visits his addled mom, and spends his days working at a colonial theme park.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,834,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible