Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Choke (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Chuck Palahniuk

9,504131304 (3.6)1 / 110
Member:karim.delgado
Title:Choke
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Anchor (2002), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (2001)

English (123)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (132)
Oh my. I do not even begin to know where to go with this book.

Second Palahniuk book....first after Fight Club, and all I have to say is that if you thought some of the things in FC were intense--this book holds more. I cannot relate the ridiculousness of this book....or how entertaining it was.

The protagonist, Victor, is an jerk--by choice he claims--who goes to sexual addiction recovery meetings not to get better...but to pick up chicks. His mom was diagnosed with some kind of psychotic problem. When the protagonist was a child, she would kidnap him, tell him crazy stories, and then get sent to jail.

The present tense of the novel, mom is in a private hospital, slowly dying to death, and he goes to a different restaurant every night, pretends to choke until someone saves him. This helps him feel loved. He deludes himself into thinking that he is helping others feel like heros.

Of course, none of these things can last forever....and the twist at the end. Phew. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in getting perspective on their own lives.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Oh my. I do not even begin to know where to go with this book.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Chuck Palahniuk is either the most brilliant contemporary author I've ever read or the most messed-up person I've ever heard about -- or a little of both. This book is fabulously luminous and one of my favorites of his... but be forewarned that it's not for everyone, particularly the prudish or weak of stomach. ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
My favorite Chuck book, by far his best. The ending was totally unexpected - loved every page. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I listened to the audiobook read by the author.

Chuck Palahnuik has one of the most annoying, whiny voices ever. It's not as irritating as Fran Drescher's, but it's way worse than Woody Allen at his most wheedling.

That said, he's not a bad vocal performer. It's just that his accent is painful.

The novel itself is pretty good. Parts were fairly predictable, but there were a couple of nice twists at the end.

Misanthropy bores me, so I spent a while waiting for something compelling to happen. The sex addict plot was a little gratuitous, although the sex (and there's a lot of it) is well-written. The anti-feminist railing claiming the women see men only as a life-support system for their cocks is all kinds of ironic given that the narrator only sees women (who aren't elderly) as sex objects.

The Oedipal issues are fascinating, but only in a train wreck sense. They don't go far enough to be really interesting. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Choke seizes the dirty truth disguised beneath our modern glamours and screams it loudly into your ear. You may find yourself feeling unusually militant after reading Choke – consider this a warning.

In Chuck Palahniuk's 1996 cult novel ''Fight Club,'' a young man escapes the emasculating boredom of modern life by indulging his violent, antisocial impulses. Victor Mancini, the narrator of Palahniuk's energetic, exasperating new book, also keeps in close touch with his inner bad boy, though what it is he's trying to escape is less clear. His operating principle is ''What would Jesus NOT do?''

''If you're going to read this, don't bother.'' So Chuck Palahniuk introduces the reader to Choke, showcasing the punkish style of his fourth novel from line one. The narrator, Victor Mancini, continues: ''After a couple pages, you won't want to be here,'' he warns. ''Save yourself.'' The hero's warning is the author's awkward wink, and there, in the third paragraph, you have the story's over-worked theme: salvation.

So ''Choke'' is an uneven but still raw and vital book, punctuated with outrageous, off-the-wall moments that work as often as not.

For Lump.
Forever.
If you are going to read this, don't bother.
"Sobriety is okay enough," Denny says, "but someday, I'd like to live a life based on doing good stuff instead of just not doing bad stuff. You know?"
You could put most of these folks [in an old-people's home] in front of a mirror and tell them it's a television special about old dying miserable people, and they'd watch it for hours.
Ten times out of ten, a guy means I love this [when he says I love you].
When it comes down to a choice between being unloved and being vulnerable and sensitive and emotional, then you can just keep your love.
This is the novel, not the film.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385720920, Paperback)

Victor Mancini is a ruthless con artist. Victor Mancini is a med-school dropout who's taken a job playing an Irish indentured servant in a colonial-era theme park in order to help care for his Alzheimer's-afflicted mother. Victor Mancini is a sex addict. Victor Mancini is a direct descendant of Jesus Christ. All of these statements about the protagonist of Choke are more or less true. Welcome, once again, to the world of Chuck Palahniuk.

"Art never comes from happiness." So says Mancini's mother only a few pages into the novel. Given her own dicey and melodramatic style of parenting, you would think that her son's life would be chock-full of nothing but art. Alas, that's not the case. In the fine tradition of Oedipus, Stephen Dedalus, and Anthony Soprano, Victor hasn't quite reconciled his issues with his mother. Instead, he's trawling sexual-addiction recovery meetings for dates and purposely choking in restaurants for a few moments of attention. Longing for a hug, in other words, he's settling for the Heimlich.

Thematically, this is pretty familiar Palahniuk territory. It would be a pity to disclose the surprises of the plot, but suffice it to say that what we have here is a little bit of Tom Robbins's Another Roadside Attraction, a little bit of Don DeLillo's The Day Room, and, well, a little bit of Fight Club. Just as with Fight Club and the other two novels under Palahniuk's belt, we get a smattering of gloriously unflinching sound bites, including this skeptical bit on prayer chains: "A spiritual pyramid scheme. As if you can gang up on God. Bully him around."

Whether this is the novel that will break Palahniuk into the mainstream is hard to say. For a fourth book, in fact, the ratio of iffy, "dude"-intensive dialogue to interesting and insightful passages is a little higher than we might wish. In the end, though, the author's nerve and daring pull the whole thing off--just barely. And what's next for Victor Mancini's creator? Leave the last word to him, declaring as he does in the final pages: "Maybe it's our job to invent something better.... What it's going to be, I don't know." --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:38 -0400)

Medical school dropout Victor Mancini comes up with a complicated but ingenious scam to pay for his mother's elder care, cruises sex addiction groups for action, and visits his zany mother, whose Alzheimer's disease hides the bizarre truth about his parentage.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible