Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Choke (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Chuck Palahniuk

Info:Anchor (2002), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Gothic Fiction

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (2001)

Recently added byprivate library, JHL03, seite, st15381, rnbwpnt, bookstuff2016, alexirsi, hraebn, thefirstdark, nmsanch2

English (134)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (144)
The author's style: employs his trademark literary devise – repetition of set phrases – to humorous effect. He mixes medical information and sexual deviant information throughout the book. The book is about Victor, a messed up young adult who works in a theme park set in the 1700's, he visits restaurants where he pretends to choke and he attends sexual addict recovery groups. He hangs out with his friend Denny who collects rocks obsessionally as a substitute for masterbating. He occasionally visits is mother. There is a lot of philosophy about life, God, sexual liberation, etc in his writing. It's a satire. The book was removed from 1001 Books You Must Read after the first edition. It was okay but I am not drawn to read more by this author. ( )
  Kristelh | May 16, 2016 |
Writing style and the topic isn't for me personally. But it was an interesting view into the life of an addict. Interesting read. ( )
  alenurd | Mar 23, 2016 |
It took a lot for me to finish this book. The ending was weird. The good thing about this book was that the chapters were short. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
2001 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
It took me a while to finish this book for so many reasons that don't matter, but one in particular does and sort of worried me about something... let's just say this book it's really sexy among other thing... Overall it's a really funny book and have some really great insights about how addictive personalities see the world. I gey why my sis loves Chuck's books, me? I see myself between the lines one step away from trouble I guess 'cause it's like he wrote when you cross a line you just keep crossing it. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Choke seizes the dirty truth disguised beneath our modern glamours and screams it loudly into your ear. You may find yourself feeling unusually militant after reading Choke – consider this a warning.

In Chuck Palahniuk's 1996 cult novel ''Fight Club,'' a young man escapes the emasculating boredom of modern life by indulging his violent, antisocial impulses. Victor Mancini, the narrator of Palahniuk's energetic, exasperating new book, also keeps in close touch with his inner bad boy, though what it is he's trying to escape is less clear. His operating principle is ''What would Jesus NOT do?''

''If you're going to read this, don't bother.'' So Chuck Palahniuk introduces the reader to Choke, showcasing the punkish style of his fourth novel from line one. The narrator, Victor Mancini, continues: ''After a couple pages, you won't want to be here,'' he warns. ''Save yourself.'' The hero's warning is the author's awkward wink, and there, in the third paragraph, you have the story's over-worked theme: salvation.

So ''Choke'' is an uneven but still raw and vital book, punctuated with outrageous, off-the-wall moments that work as often as not.

For Lump.
Forever.
If you are going to read this, don't bother.
"Sobriety is okay enough," Denny says, "but someday, I'd like to live a life based on doing good stuff instead of just not doing bad stuff. You know?"
You could put most of these folks [in an old-people's home] in front of a mirror and tell them it's a television special about old dying miserable people, and they'd watch it for hours.
Ten times out of ten, a guy means I love this [when he says I love you].
When it comes down to a choice between being unloved and being vulnerable and sensitive and emotional, then you can just keep your love.
This is the novel, not the film.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385720920, Paperback)

Victor Mancini is a ruthless con artist. Victor Mancini is a med-school dropout who's taken a job playing an Irish indentured servant in a colonial-era theme park in order to help care for his Alzheimer's-afflicted mother. Victor Mancini is a sex addict. Victor Mancini is a direct descendant of Jesus Christ. All of these statements about the protagonist of Choke are more or less true. Welcome, once again, to the world of Chuck Palahniuk.

"Art never comes from happiness." So says Mancini's mother only a few pages into the novel. Given her own dicey and melodramatic style of parenting, you would think that her son's life would be chock-full of nothing but art. Alas, that's not the case. In the fine tradition of Oedipus, Stephen Dedalus, and Anthony Soprano, Victor hasn't quite reconciled his issues with his mother. Instead, he's trawling sexual-addiction recovery meetings for dates and purposely choking in restaurants for a few moments of attention. Longing for a hug, in other words, he's settling for the Heimlich.

Thematically, this is pretty familiar Palahniuk territory. It would be a pity to disclose the surprises of the plot, but suffice it to say that what we have here is a little bit of Tom Robbins's Another Roadside Attraction, a little bit of Don DeLillo's The Day Room, and, well, a little bit of Fight Club. Just as with Fight Club and the other two novels under Palahniuk's belt, we get a smattering of gloriously unflinching sound bites, including this skeptical bit on prayer chains: "A spiritual pyramid scheme. As if you can gang up on God. Bully him around."

Whether this is the novel that will break Palahniuk into the mainstream is hard to say. For a fourth book, in fact, the ratio of iffy, "dude"-intensive dialogue to interesting and insightful passages is a little higher than we might wish. In the end, though, the author's nerve and daring pull the whole thing off--just barely. And what's next for Victor Mancini's creator? Leave the last word to him, declaring as he does in the final pages: "Maybe it's our job to invent something better.... What it's going to be, I don't know." --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:19 -0400)

Victor Mancini, a medical-school dropout, is an antihero for our deranged times. Needing to pay elder care for his mother, Victor has devised an ingenious scam: he pretends to choke on pieces of food while dining in upscale restaurants. He then allows himself to be "saved" by fellow patrons who, feeling responsible for Victor's life, go on to send checks to support him. When he's not pulling this stunt, Victor cruises sexual addiction recovery workshops for action, visits his addled mom, and spends his days working at a colonial theme park.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible