Paradise Lost (Private, Book 9) by Kate…

Paradise Lost (Private, Book 9) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Kate Brian

Member:cbritt29
Title:Paradise Lost (Private, Book 9)
Authors:Kate Brian
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 256 pages

Paradise Lost by Kate Brian (2009)

Same characters as always featuring Reed Brennan as more unbelievable things happen to her. This time set away from the usual school academy and on a Carribean island for the Christmas holidays. A quick and easy read, annoyingly addictive but good fun. Most of the characters are totally unlikeable, I hope that people like this don't exist in real life ( )
  karensaville | Sep 24, 2010 |
We finally know who killed Cheyenne Martin and it’s time to get a little R&R. So instead of going home for Christmas, where Noelle points out Reed will be mobbed by the media, they all are going Carribean. This is a Christmas tradition for Noelle and the gang, but Reed isn’t sure what to expect.

We see a lot of old faces on the island including Kiran and Taylor, Amberly and Tiffany. We also meet new, gorgeous ones including the Ryan twins, Sawyer, Poppy and the most beautiful man alive, Upton. Of course she does great with Kiran, Taylor and Noelle, but since she’s got the lead in the Upton Game, Poppy and her posse aren’t really fans.

And then the strange stuff starts to happen. Poppy disappears, Reed has two almost death experiences and someone is lurking in the shadows.

The beauty of the vacation spot in this book makes my mouth water. These are the kinds of places you see in your dreams and these girls are living it (well, through Kate’s writing). The weather is warming up here and I would love to be relaxed on a beach. I wouldn’t even need the designer gowns or Casino night.

While this book had the drama built into it, it didn’t leave me hanging as the last book did. I know they will still be on the island in the next one, but I don’t really know what to expect. My guess is that Reed ends up with Sawyer, just a hunch.

Now, I still have a hard time believing these girls are in high school. It still amazes me the things they know, see and do. I know that people with this much money do have the opportunity to live like this, we’ve all seen the reality shows, but I have a hard time fathoming going to St. Barth’s at Christmas my junior year in high school.

I give Paradise Lost 4 bookmarks. ( )
  kariannalysis | May 20, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

With the debacle of Sabine finally behind her, Reed finally hopes that life at Easton will quiet down. People are starting to talk about her having a bad vibe around her. Bad luck happens to those that come close to Reed. For now, Josh is sitting beside Ivy's hospital bed. When Josh saved Reed from the bullet, it hit Ivy, instead.

With Christmas break looming, Reed can't face going home to Pennsylvania. She knows she will be hounded by the news after the latest drama at school. It's Noelle who comes to Reed's rescue. She invites Reed to holiday on St. Barth's (yes, this is how it's spelled in the story) with the rest of her family and a small private group. At first Reed hesitates, knowing she can't afford to go. But Noelle insists, and Reed's spirits soar. She's accepted by the Billings girls again, and she'll get to see Kiran and Taylor at long last.

Arriving on the island, Reed gets caught up in the island spirit. Kiran will not take no for an answer when she insists on outfitting Reed for the holiday. Kiran has a company account to shop and spend, so how can Reed say no?

Reed quickly learns of the "Upton Game." The game is simple. Who will be the first to kiss Upton this year? Upton Giles is apparently the most gorgeous, sought after guy on the island. Even Noelle finds him attractive. Reed is intrigued but vows to avoid all boy complications on this holiday. Nothing will make her happier than lying in the sun getting a tan and hanging out with her friends.

But once Reed lays eyes on the infamous Upton, she understands the infatuation with him. He is truly the most spectacular guy she's ever seen. But she still insists she wants no part of the game. The holiday gets hard for Reed though, because Upton has noticed her and also doesn't take no for an answer.

Will Reed be able to resist Upton's advances? Will there be rivalries for Upton's affections? Will the introduction of some new characters (mainly Poppy) wreak more havoc in Reed's life?

Ms. Brian takes a simple pleasure of a vacation holiday and turns it into a crazy, adventurous getaway. For fans of the PRIVATE series, PARADISE LOST almost feels like a holiday, as well. Removed from the boarding school setting, PARADISE LOST is a guilty pleasure that everyone will enjoy.

But, if you're like me, I can't wait to have Reed return to Easton Academy and Billings and find out what happens next! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
It’s winter break and Reed, her friends and their families head to St. Barths to spend the holidays. The students are still in shock after the latest tragic events on Easton’s campus. Reed agrees to the trip as an attempt to move forward. While vacationing, she meets Upton, despite feeling reluctant about dating again, she soon finds herself falling for him. Once again, Reed finds herself surrounded by drama, jealousy and mystery.

Although I thought Paradise Lost was a quick read, it wasn’t a favorite from the series. I did like that the story took place away from Easton, however I found myself quickly frustrated with how the other girls treated Reed. Reed considers Noelle to be her BFF, however since the start of this series, I’ve questioned the sincerity of their friendship. I would like Reed to develop an identity apart from the Billings Girls and not think she has to run to Noelle for everything.

Like the previous books, Paradise Lost ends with a cliff hanger. What happens next? To be continued in Suspicion, book 10, to be released in September. ( )
  scoutlee | Jul 24, 2009 |
Reed Brennan is a magnet for trouble. It seems that everywhere she goes murder and mayhem follow. After the revelation at Kiran's pre-birthday bash, the Billings girls decide that maybe they should leave Easton a little early for their holiday plans.

The Billings girls, along with Gage, Dash, and a few others head to St.Barth's for Christmas break. Reed is the only newcomer to the islands so the girls decide to introduce her to their favorite pastime,the Upton Game. Upton Giles is labeled the hottest man on the islands and the object of the game is to be the first girl to hook up with him. Reed decides that she is going to change her ways and forget about her past. She vows that she will stay out of the Upton Game and make her own fun, at least until she actually meets Upton.

Little does she know, Upton is somebody else's boyfriend or at least she thinks he is. Poppy Simon is not happy about Reed interfering with her plans and she makes it known. Loyalties are tested and friendships are broken all over one guy.

Also, Reed starts feeling a little paranoid. Everywhere she goes she seems to have some near death experience. And she doesn't think they are accidents. Reed can't help but feel like someone is following her and that whoever it is plans on taking Reed out of the Upton Game...for good.

I was actually a little bit disappointed at the end of this book. I love all the Privates books but it seems like Kate Brian is running out of ideas. The ending is definitely another cliff-hanger, though. I may have been disappointed but I still can't wait for S ( )
  kbpup903 | Feb 28, 2009 |
For my sister, Erin, who is really going to love me after this.
Not happening.

Reed is reunited with former Billings girls Kiran and Taylor, and she and her friends take over an exclusive, five-star Caribbean island, spending their days tanning on white sand beaches and their nights partying on sixty-foot yachts. It's heaven on earth, but as they raise their champagne flutes to toast their friendship, Reed worries that it's all too good to be true.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,354,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible