Parties & Potions by Sarah Mlynowski

Parties & Potions

by Sarah Mlynowski

Prom Anonymous by Blake Nelson (ragulto101)
    ragulto101: about 3 best friends who split up into their own cliques when they got to high school. One is a popular, one is a geek, and one is a jock.But the 3 friends were reunited when it was time for their Prom; found the right guys for them.

Much better than I'd expected this to be when the review envelope crossed my desk. I haven't read the rest of the series, but judging from this fourth offering, it's light and breezy and actually kinda fun. It's nice to see books that don't take themselves too seriously in their bubble-headedness!

My biggest quibble with it is the 7-legged spider on the cover, and used as section breaks within the chapters. I'd love to know where that last leg is. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Rachel Weinstein is so happy! Her Birthday is coming up, she is no longer a freshman at high school, and she is meeting new friends who are witches just like her! Is this her perfect year? Or will it turn into a disaster with secrets dying to get out? ( )
  jkmurray | Jan 31, 2011 |
Parties & Potients was the best book of the Magic in Manhattan series in my opinion. I loved it. It made me wish I could have a Samsorta. Cross your fingers for a 5th one. ( )
  Checker911 | Apr 18, 2010 |
Reviewed by Tasha for TeensReadToo.com

Rachel's ready to start off her sophomore year of high school with a bang! Now that she's gotten her powers, and learned to semi-control them, there's nothing holding her back from having the best year ever. Except there is one little hindrance - she has to keep her witch life and her "normal" life separated, and the task is proving to be a lot harder then she thought.

First there is her Samsorta, which is pretty much a debutante ball for witches. Miri (her sister) and she have to take classes and learn that there are tons more teen witches out there. Rachel soon meets up with Adam, who is cute, funny, and a witch, but there's also Raf - adorable, sweet, and he doesn't know Rachel's secret.

Then there is Wendalin - Miri's new witch friend who just started high school and doesn't understand why she can't let everyone know that she's a witch. Rachel kind of takes her under her wing and tries to change her into a more "normal" teenager.

And finally she has to deal with the fact that her dad still doesn't know that she and Miri are witches, and she's terrified to tell him.

Even though she's a witch and it takes nothing to hop on over to Paris or to change the color of her shirt, Rachel still has many issues that can't be solved with the snap of her fingers.

This whole series is seriously cute! The books always pick up right where the last left off with nothing missing. That said, though, the story can definitely hold its own, and it would be just as enjoyable to read if no other book in the series had been read. Rachel kind of retells her past adventures throughout the story in a way that sparks your memory if it has been a while since you read the previous books, or will catch you up if you haven't read any of the others.

One of the best parts of the book for me was the creativity of the plot. In all the types of realistic fantasy books I've read, I've never come across anything with a plot even remotely similar to this series. I feel that in PARTIES & POTIONS, Sarah Mlynowski's creativity is exemplified more then it ever has been before. Having a witch debutante ball and popping to Arizona to attend Samsorta classes at a witch community center! I felt like the book was something out of my wildest dreams! It was truly a blast to read this book.

The characters were fairly well-developed. There were some times when I got frustrated because Rachel would act the same way in a multitude of different situations. When this happened the book dragged a little, but then it quickly picked up again and was great. I also enjoyed the author's writing style. She made it really easy to see through Rachel's eyes and I felt like I was walking down the hallway with her or zapping off to Paris and standing on top of the Eiffel tower.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and think it was a great addition to a fun series. It's a great story for all, that provides a great adventure and some fun magic. I absolutely can't wait for more from Sarah Mlynowski, and urge you all to pick up this book, or at least one of the books in the series! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
I love this Magic in Manhattan book; it's better than the first.I enjoyed the transportation to different places around the world; it was really cool. I especially like the parts of the story which includes the witchcraft community; the two sisters(Rachel and Miri)having a Samsorta. And when they went to the Witch and Warlocks Community Center and met other witches and warlocks.
Did you guys like the part of the story when they went to the cafeteria at the community center; all they had to do were put their hands on the tables and say what they wanted to eat and-poof!- it pops up? It was very cool!
Check out:
1) sarahm.com
2)magicinmanhattan.com ( )
  ragulto101 | Jun 17, 2009 |

Perfect hair, cute clothes, healthy tans—life’s a breeze when you’re a witch! Even special witchcraft classes Rachel agrees to attend with Miri turn out to be fun. The sisters meet other teen witches just like them—who knew? Everyone’s preparing for a magical party called a Samsorta—a debutante ball for witches. And it wouldn’t be a ball without warlocks. Cute ones. Like Adam, who wants to slow dance with Rachel, and ski with her in the Rockies—on a school night! Of course, Rachel is madly in love with her boyfriend, Raf. So why can’t she bring herself to tell Adam—funny, charming Adam—that Raf exists?

Rachel knows Raf likes her. Maybe even, gulp, loves her. But Raf doesn’t know her secret. Unlike Adam, Raf doesn’t know who she really is. And she can never tell him. Or can she?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:45 -0400)

High school sophomore Rachel and her younger sister Miri, both witches, are introduced to a wider community of witches while grappling with the problem of whether or not to reveal their powers to their school friends, father, and step-mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible