Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Caddie Woodlawn (1935)

by Carol Ryrie Brink

Series: Caddie Woodlawn (1)

Based on a true person. Caddie Woodlawn is allowed to be a tomboy per her father's request and her mother's chagrin. There are seven children in the family. Would have been eight, but one daughter died after moving from Boston to Wisconsin. For this reason the father allows Caddie to be outdoors and become strong and healthy.
The book is full of adventure and is fast paced. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
This book will always speak of home, comfort and happiness to me. I've read it multiple times growing up, and now reading it again now that I'm older, it is just as lovely.

I love Brink's writing style, and her characters are just wonderful. I especially loved Caddie's relationship with her father. Reminds me of my relationship with my father. ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
This wonderful story was a little marred for a 21st century reader by two words, which I'll get to later.* It is a tale of a preteen pioneer girl in Wisconsin who has been raised to behave like her brothers rather than her sisters. She is a little wild, quite daring and adventurous, somewhat mischievous, and not at all lady-like. This distresses her mother, but she is clearly her father's favorite, though he would take pains to make sure the other children didn't know that.
Caddie Woodlawn is also friends with a nearby tribe of Native Americans, particularly one "Indian John." In one of the key episodes of the book, the settlers in the area hear a rumor and begin to panic, believing that the Indians are about to attack and massacre all the white settlers. Caddie, who knows these people, is fully aware that it is nonsense, and in the end saves the day.
Assorted other adventures all flow nicely from one to another. I particularly liked Caddie, her older brother Tom, and her father.
*The book was published in 1935 and won the Newbery Award the following year. Perhaps it is wrong now to fault a book for something that was perfectly normal at the time, but in spite of the "Indians are our friends" message of the story, the Native Americans are most frequently referred to, even by Caddie herself, as "savages." Also some minor characters who have a white father and Native American mother are simply called "the half-breed children." I could have thrown in another star to my rating were these two terms not used. They were probably fine in 1935, but I found them too abrasive to completely overlook. ( )
  fingerpost | Jul 2, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my five- and seven-year-old daughters. It was really great, except for the whole Indian massacre part. I skipped over that part. I just didn't want my kids thinking about people killing each other as they were falling asleep. I gave them an abbreviated version; I explained how the white people and the Native Americans didn't get along and they fought. The scene where the Indian mother came into the schoolhouse to say goodbye to her "half-breed" sons was especially moving to me and struck a chord with me because something similar happened in my family history. Family legend says that my great-grandfather was found as a young half-breed boy walking along a road by himself because he was ostracized or shunned or something like that. The couple who found him took him in and adopted him. So it was kind of neat having a personal connection and being able to share that with my daughters. I also skipped all mentions of the scalpbelt. Yikes. Other than those parts it was a nice story. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Chronicles the adventures of 11-year-old Caddie growing up with her six brothers and sisters on the Wisconsin frontier in the mid-nineteenth century
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
In addition to their own small family, the Woodlawns are on very good terms with the Indians that live locally, especially Indian John (who has the advantage of command of the English language, although it's unfortunately depicted as the stereotypical pidgin English common in books from this period). The book follows a year in Caddie's life- picking nuts, riding horses, going to school, and worrying about rumors of Indian massacre, eagerly awaiting the mail after a long winter, and eating entirely too much turkey. Over the course of events, Caddie does mature and become ready to at least consider that a lady's skills have some merit.
added by cej1027 | editNewbery Project (May 6, 2010)

They made the pioneers seem like angels and the Native Americans like inhuman monsters.

Brink, Carol RyrieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Tina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seredy, KateIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gram, whose tales of her childhood in Wisconsin gave a lonely little girl many happy hours.
In 1864 Caddie Woodlawn was eleven, and as wild a little tomboy as ever ran the woods of western Wisconsin.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713703, Paperback)

At age 11, Caddie Woodlawn is the despair of her mother and the pride of her father: a clock-fixing tomboy running wild in the woods of Wisconsin. In 1864, this is a bit much for her Boston-bred mother to bear, but Caddie and her brothers are happy with the status quo. Written in 1935 about Carol Ryrie Brink's grandmother's childhood, the adventures of Caddie and her brothers are still exciting over 60 years later. With each chapter comes another ever-more exciting adventure: a midnight gallop on her horse across a frozen river to warn her American Indian friends of the white men's plan to attack; a prairie fire approaching the school house; and a letter from England that may change the family's life forever. This Newbery Medal-winning book bursts at the seams with Caddie's irrepressible spirit. In spite of her mother's misgivings, Caddie is a perfect role model for any girl--or boy, for that matter. She's big-hearted, she's brave, and she's mechanically inclined! (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:43 -0400)

The adventures of an eleven-year-old tomboy growing up on the Wisconsin frontier in the mid-nineteenth century.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible