Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Caddie Woodlawn (1935)

by Carol Ryrie Brink (Author)

Series: Caddie Woodlawn (1)

I enjoyed reading this for my Vintage Book Circle book group. It was a fun discussion. I especially liked how she used her shiny silver dollar to soften the sadness of the children who lost their Indian mother. I remember reading this as a child and I can see that some of the stories really influenced my way of being in the world. ( )
  njcur | Apr 26, 2014 |
A read-a-loud in our home and certainly an all-time favorite. We will make sure all 4 of our kids enjoy this book! ( )
  HeatherKvale | Dec 31, 2013 |
Caddie refuses to blend in as a perfect little lady - she’s a tomboy and her father allows her to grow up playing outside with her two brothers - getting into all sorts of troubles in the wilderness. Caddie Woodlawn won the Newbery Medal in 1936 and the story is based on Carol Ryrie Brink’s grandmother's childhood in Wisconsin in the 1860’s. There’s an interesting chapter dealing with the fear of the Indians, and the settlers plans of a massacre - Caddie rides in the night to her good friend "Indian John" to warn the Indians.

This frontier-story reminded me a lot of of the Laura Ingalls Wilder-series, but it doesn’t have that sense of struggle in the wilderness as the Wilder-books or for example The Yearling have. But Caddie is a funny open-minded and straight-forward kid and I had fun reading of her small and big adventures. ( )
3 vote ctpress | Sep 17, 2013 |
I liked this book when I was a child, it was one of my favorites. I don't know how I got it, but I know the school librarian would recommend books to me. I don't know why not "Little House on the Prairie." Now I'm 63 years old and doing alot of genealogy. I now know I had ancestors living in Wisconsin, mostly pioneers when there were still Native Americans, wolves, etc. My great-great aunts were girls growing up, at the same time and age of Caddie Woodlawn and the book basically describes their lives. What a coincidence this book was one of my favorites, yet I knew nothing about my ancestors then. I found a copy a few years ago, and bought it to keep. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 22, 2013 |
tomboy on the prairie. I loved this book, forced it on kids as I grew up. for "Little House" lovers and those who think those books too sweet. ( )
  cek2read | Jun 3, 2013 |
They made the pioneers seem like angels and the Native Americans like inhuman monsters.

Brink, Carol RyrieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Tina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gram, whose tales of her childhood in Wisconsin gave a lonely little girl many happy hours.
In 1864 Caddie Woodlawn was eleven, and as wild a little tomboy as ever ran the woods of western Wisconsin.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713703, Paperback)

At age 11, Caddie Woodlawn is the despair of her mother and the pride of her father: a clock-fixing tomboy running wild in the woods of Wisconsin. In 1864, this is a bit much for her Boston-bred mother to bear, but Caddie and her brothers are happy with the status quo. Written in 1935 about Carol Ryrie Brink's grandmother's childhood, the adventures of Caddie and her brothers are still exciting over 60 years later. With each chapter comes another ever-more exciting adventure: a midnight gallop on her horse across a frozen river to warn her American Indian friends of the white men's plan to attack; a prairie fire approaching the school house; and a letter from England that may change the family's life forever. This Newbery Medal-winning book bursts at the seams with Caddie's irrepressible spirit. In spite of her mother's misgivings, Caddie is a perfect role model for any girl--or boy, for that matter. She's big-hearted, she's brave, and she's mechanically inclined! (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:34 -0400)

The adventures of an eleven-year-old tomboy growing up on the Wisconsin frontier in the mid-nineteenth century.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible