Invisible monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Invisible monsters (original 1999; edition 2003)

by Chuck Palahniuk

Member:sbonzix
Title:Invisible monsters
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Milano, Oscar Mondadori, 2003
Tags:Finished

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (1999)

Recently added byChicca62, quickmind, athinginmotion, K9VB, apthorpe, private library, originalslicey, andrewdk
    The Blondes: A Novel by Emily Schultz (ShelfMonkey)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Leigh22)
    Leigh22: Style of writing is completely different, but they both have a similar theme. Just wanting to drop everything and run away

This story was so "out there" that I was torn between throwing it against the wall, (not a feeling I've ever had before) or continue reading. I continued reading just for the fact that I've never wanted to throw a book before. I liked that there were twists in the story that I didn't figure out, but then it just got ridiculous. I was glad to be finished with it, but I also didn't feel it was a waste of my time. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
I found this book very disturbing. At first I thought it may work well in our diversity and LGTBQ collection at the high school; however, this is definitely not a positive book. The plot line is twisted and the end is not what one would be expecting. NOT a recommended read for anyone going through identity issues. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Jan 8, 2018 |
Disturbing and bleak story of the interconnected and vapid lives of gender bending characters. Takes a similar attacking role towards femininity that [Fight Club] took to masculinity. ( )
  brakketh | Feb 4, 2017 |
Challenging structure, challenging gender, challenging loyalties - all just a taste of what this troubling, darkly hilarious book has to offer. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
A tale of the nature of beauty, of being desired and of being rejected. Of the good, the bad and the hideously ugly both inside and out. Palahniuks prose is not at its best in this, it is one of his earliest works - Yet it contains the spark of brilliance that would blossom fully in his later work. Highly recommended, but read it more for the intriguing story than the nature of his writing. ( )
  Patrik_Axelsson | Sep 13, 2016 |

Palahniuk, Chuckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosini, ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Geoff, who said, "This is how to steal drugs." And Ina, who said, "This is lip liner." And Janet, who said, "This is silk georgette." And my editor, Patricia, who kept saying, "This is not good enough."
Where you're supposed to be is some big West Hills wedding reception in a big manor house with flower arrangements and stuffed mushrooms all over the house.
No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.
The murderer, the victim, the witness, each of us thinks our role is the lead.
When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?
The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.
You can only hold a smile for so long, after that it's just teeth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393319296, Paperback)

When the plot of your first novel partially hinges on anarchist overthrows funded by soap sales, and the narrative hook of your second work is the black box recorder of a jet moments away from slamming into the Australian outback, it stands to reason that your audience is going to be ready for anything. Which, to an author like Chuck Palahniuk, must sound like a challenge. Palahniuk's third identity crisis (that's "novel" to you), Invisible Monsters, more than ably responds to this call to arms. Set once again in an all-too-familiar modern wasteland where social disease and self-hatred can do more damage than any potboiler-fiction bad guy, the tale focuses particularly on a group of drag queens and fashion models trekking cross-country to find themselves, looking everywhere from the bottom of a vial of Demerol to the end of a shotgun barrel. It's a sort of Drugstore Cowboy-meets-Yentl affair, or a Hope-Crosby road movie with a skin graft and hormone-pill obsession, if you know what I mean.

Um, yeah. Anyway, the Hollywood vibe doesn't stop these comparisons. As with Fight Club and Survivor, the book is invested with a cinematic sweep, from the opening set piece, which takes off like a house afire (literally), to a host of filmic tics sprayed throughout the text: "Flash," "Jump back," "Jump way ahead," "Flash," "Flash," "Flash." You get the idea. It's as if Palahniuk didn't write the thing but yanked it directly out of the Cineplex of his mind's eye. Does it succeed? Mostly. Still working on measuring out the proper dosages of his many writerly talents (equal parts potent imagery, nihilistic coolspeak, and doped-out craziness), Palahniuk every now and then loosens his grip on the story line, which at points becomes as hard to decipher as your local pill addict's medicine cabinet. However Invisible Monsters works best on a roller-coaster level. You don't stop and count each slot on the track as you're going down the big hill. You throw up your hands and yell, "Whee!" --Bob Michaels

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:18 -0400)

The career of a model ends when she is disfigured in an accident. Suspecting the accident was the work of her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend, she takes revenge by slipping him a drug to grow breasts.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,671,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible