dismiss

Invisible monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Invisible monsters (original 1999; edition 2003)

by Chuck Palahniuk

The career of a model ends when she is disfigured in an accident. Suspecting the accident was the work of her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend, she takes revenge by slipping him a drug to grow breasts.
Member:sbonzix
Title:Invisible monsters
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Milano, Oscar Mondadori, 2003
Tags:Finished

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (1999)

The Blondes: A Novel by Emily Schultz (ShelfMonkey)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Leigh22)
    Leigh22: Style of writing is completely different, but they both have a similar theme. Just wanting to drop everything and run away

This story is narrated by Shannon McFarland, the not-so-mute monster with half-a-face protagonist. She has everything: a great modeling carreer, a fiance, and a loyal best friend. But an "accident" changes everything. Until she met Princess Brandy Alexander, who teaches her to make a new story. This book is about hatred, finding revenge, and the protagonist's desperate ways of finding love.

This is the first Chuck Palahniuk-book I've read. And I love it, I think I'll be reding more of his works.--I just read this because of Panic at the the Disco's song, Time to Dance, which I'm super addicted to.-- I find this book so refreshing, after reading books with monsters, vampires, fairies, etc. well, this is such a new monster read *LOL*. All in all, this is the most insane novel I've ever read. And the characters prove that much. ( )
  blithelii | Apr 14, 2020 |
Weird. Hilarious. Disgusting. Brilliant. Offensive. Unpredictable. Strange. Perfect for those who like to be kept guessing, but not for those who don't appreciate abrasive/crude humor. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
This book leaves you in a constant state of "What the hell is going on?" but entirely in a good way. For the entire first half of the book, the plot seems as though it is going nowhere and will never make since. Several times I was even tempted to put the book down entirely. However, when things finally did start coming together, it was mind blowing. The entire book wraps up into a nice, neat little bundle that leaves you extremely satisfied. ( )
  Raven-Walker | Aug 30, 2019 |
This was a trip and a half. I 'read' it as an audiobook, which was partially narrated by the author himself. I'm not sure what it would be like to read it, but listening left me disoriented, lost in the story, but somehow... getting it. Exactly what Palahniuk was trying to do, according to his forward.

I loved it. It was weird. It was absurd. It was ridiculous. It was confusing. And, at the same time, it was completely engaging and engrossing. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
This story was so "out there" that I was torn between throwing it against the wall, (not a feeling I've ever had before) or continue reading. I continued reading just for the fact that I've never wanted to throw a book before. I liked that there were twists in the story that I didn't figure out, but then it just got ridiculous. I was glad to be finished with it, but I also didn't feel it was a waste of my time. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |

Palahniuk, Chuckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosini, ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Geoff, who said, "This is how to steal drugs." And Ina, who said, "This is lip liner." And Janet, who said, "This is silk georgette." And my editor, Patricia, who kept saying, "This is not good enough."
Where you're supposed to be is some big West Hills wedding reception in a big manor house with flower arrangements and stuffed mushrooms all over the house.
No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.
The murderer, the victim, the witness, each of us thinks our role is the lead.
When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?
The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.
You can only hold a smile for so long, after that it's just teeth.
Please distinguish between Invisible Monsters (1999) and Invisible Monsters Remix (2012).

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,597,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible