You Grow Girl: The Groundbreaking Guide to…

You Grow Girl: The Groundbreaking Guide to Gardening

by Gayla Trail

288None39,139 (4.28)1

I wanted to do a garden this year, but stopped short because I also seem to ruin them. I did a bit of container gardening and only got basil in return. I found this book and just wanted to see if I could get gardening figured out.

This is labeled as a punk rock gardening book, but I think that's a stupid label for anything. It actually had a lot of great information about gardening, if you have a big yard or just a rooftop or fire escape. There is a lot of info about plants, what is good where, edible pretties, soil and much more.

I've dogeared this book to pieces already and am happily planning a real garden next year.
  manadabomb | Oct 9, 2011 |

This was another good recommendation from Rebecca; apparently her sister swears by it. It's a perky guide to gardening with lots of great ideas (both very practical and very I-have-better-Martha-Stewart-things-to-do-with-my-time). Doesn't assume you know what you're doing from the get-go - if I knew how to garden, do you think I'd be buying a how-to-garden book??? Trail starts really from scratch and explains everything, from soil composition to reading a seed packet label to dealing with bugs, etc. Lots of handy illustrations, lots of fun projects, lots of encouragement. Most importantly, she recognizes that: (a) not everyone is a good gardener, so she shows how to scale projects appropriately; and (b) not everyone has a large garden space to make their own, so she includes projects such as container gardening and even guerilla gardening. I would have never bought this if Rebecca hadn't recommended it; at first glance, it seems kind of trendy and - *gasp!* - chick-litty, but it really does have some good, solid information in it.
  pixxiefish | Apr 26, 2010 |
I've been a fan of Gayla's website for over six years and finally had to quit borrowing this book from the library. Lots of inspiring gardening ideas, beautifully photographed and great information to push you full on into organic gardening. My copy is already beat up. ( )
  czick | Feb 25, 2007 |
A handy tool to help a gardener learn the basics. The color photos are beautiful, though there's very little on container gardening. ( )
  nramos | Jan 13, 2007 |
To Scylla Trail and the balcony-grown potatoes that started it all. And to Davin, my partner and support in all things, including gardening.

This is not your grandmother's gardening book. You Grow Girl is a hip, humorous how-to for crafty gals everywhere who are discovering a passion for gardening but lack the know-how to turn their dreams of homegrown tomatoes and fresh-cut flowers into a reality.

Gayla Trail, creator of YouGrowGirl.com, provides guidance for both beginning and intermediate gardeners with engaging tips, projects, and recipes -- whether you have access to a small backyard or merely to a fire escape. You Grow Girl eliminates the intimidation factor and reveals how easy and enjoyable it can be to cultivate plants and flowers even when resources and space are limited. Divided into accessible sections like Plan, Plant, and Grow, You Grow Girl takes readers through the entire gardening experience:

Preparing soil

Nurturing seedlings

Fending off critters

Reaping the bounty

Readying plants for winter

Preparing for the seasons ahead

Gayla also includes a wealth of ingenious and creative projects, such as:

Transforming your garden's harvest into lush bath and beauty products

Converting household junk into canny containers

Growing and bagging herbal tea

Concocting homemade pest repellents

...and much, much more.

Witty, wise, and as practical as it is stylish, You Grow Girl is guaranteed to show you how to get your garden on. All you need is a windowsill and a dream!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:24 -0400)

"... takes readers through the entire gardening experience: preparing soil, nurturing seedlings, fending off critters, reaping the bounty, readying plants for winter, preparing for the seasons ahead. Gayla also includes a wealth of ingenious and creative projects, such as: transforming your garden's harvest into lush bath and beauty products, converting household junk into canny containers, growing and bagging herbal tea, concocting homemade pest repellents ...and much, much more."--Publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible