Introducing Agatha Raisin: The Quiche of…

Introducing Agatha Raisin: The Quiche of Death/The Vicious Vet (edition 2008)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:cat509
Title:Introducing Agatha Raisin: The Quiche of Death/The Vicious Vet
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:betweenthecovers

Introducing Agatha Raisin: The Quiche of Death / The Vicious Vet by M. C. Beaton

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death

Agatha Raisin cheats in a village baking competition by using a shop-bought quiche. Unfortunately when the judge decides to eat her quiche at home he ends up dead, poisoned.

I didn't find this as funny as the TV version, but that may be down to circumstances. Perhaps it just doesn't mesh with life in the tropics in the way it does with Christmas telly in the UK. I found it more enjoyable when the coffee shop started playing Christmas carols.

Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet

A handsome vet opens a surgery in the village, much to the delight of the female population. So, when he turns up dead from an injection meant for a horse there are plenty of suspects.

Although I'm enjoying the main characters, the minor ones are not differentiated enough and so nearing the end of this one I found I'd forgotten who was who amongst the suspects, which is not what you really want in a mystery. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Nov 30, 2018 |
The Agatha Raisin series was recommended as a good cozy mystery series. I listened to this while knitting, and found it to be very entertaining. Agatha is quite strange, and at times she can be ludicrous, but I do like her, Bill Wong, James, Lacey, and all of the other characters! ( )
  DanaManiac | Apr 2, 2018 |
I've spent a lot of time driving recently, and these really work as a background to the endless kilometres.

Having kind of liked the TV Agatha Raisin series, I thought trying one of these as an audiobook for one of the recent long drives would be worth a go. I personally prefer things on the lighter side when I should be concentrating on driving, and a change of options was required after having spent a lot of hours with Phryne Fisher.

Obviously the Agatha Raisin of the books is nothing much like the TV version - so if you're hoping for a direct match you may be disappointed. Here the unpleasant aspects of Raisin's personality are more stark, and there's no way she looks anything like the TV blonde bombshell. But in this example, Penelope Keith does a wonderful job of the narration, the story is obviously from the cosier side of crime fiction, Agatha fluctuates between annoying and endearing and Roy ... well Roy is Roy.

There is a nice plot with lots of village shenanigans and enough smiles to keep you interested, if not out and out laughing, which is probably just as well as it was a perfect background to a lot of Australian country drive.

https://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/review-agatha-raisin-and-quiche-death-mc-beaton ( )
  austcrimefiction | Dec 14, 2017 |
A slow, gentle start to what I assume may be a slow and gentle series. The writing and storytelling are very good, up to the standard Beaton set in her Hamish Macbeth series. But Agatha Raisin herself doesn't grab me yet: she is neither likable nor unlikeable. Good friends -- friends who have never steered me wrong on book recommendations -- strongly recommended the series, so I will read at least one more before deciding. ( )
  SharronA | Mar 3, 2013 |

Beloved author M. C. Beaton has delighted readers and fans alike with her Agatha Raisin mysteries. The Quiche of Death and The Vicious Vet, the first two books in the series, are now together for the first time in one volume. . . .

The Quiche of Death
Putting all her eggs in one basket, Agatha Raisin gives up her successful PR firm, sells her London flat, and samples a taste of early retirement in the quiet village of Carsely. Bored, lonely, and used to getting her way, she enters a local baking contest. Despite the fact that Agatha has never baked a thing in her life, she is sure the pie she has secretly bought from an upper-crust London quicherie will make her the toast of the town. But her recipe for social advancement sours when the judge not only snubs her entry—but falls over dead!

The Vicious Vet
Agatha Raisin hasn’t quite adjusted to the slow pace of village life, or to the failure of her overtures to her handsome neighbor, James Lacey. Since the new vet in town is young and good looking, Agatha’s perfectly healthy tabby endures a nasty physical exam in the name of romance. Unfortunately, his sacrifice is all for naught when the vet is soon found dead. The police call the death a freak accident, but Agatha convinces James that playing amateur detective might be fun. Unfortunately, just as curiosity killed the cat, Agatha’s inept snooping is soon a motivation for murder. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:06 -0400)

Presents the first two books in M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series, "The Quiche of Death", in which Agatha leaves her successful London firm to settle in the quiet village of Carsely, where she investigates the death of a local baking contest judge; and "The Vicious Vet", where Agatha convinces her neighbor to help her find the person responsible for killing the local vet.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,797,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible