Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary

Dear Mr. Henshaw (1983)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Avon Camelot books

English (96)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (97)
Newbery Winner, 1984 Leigh's parents are divorced. A lot of the novel is spent in Leigh's internal struggle to understand his father and his inconsistent involvement in his life. (As well as Leigh's quest to solve a lunch box thieving mystery). The fact that this story deals with some heavy issues is tempered by the humor Cleary brings to the story.
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
Perseverance pays off, what you want isn't always what you get. Sometimes what you get is better than you ever expected. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
Summary:
Dear Mr. Henshaw is about a young boy named Leigh, who is struggling and trying to work through the aftermath of his parents divorce. It is written in the form of letters and journal entries. It starts by Leigh moving away to live with his mother and he is to new kid in school and is lonely, and feels like the outcast. Then his teacher assigns them a letter-correspondence project and instantly Leigh knows exactly who is going to write too, his favorite author Mr. Henshaw. This book provides excellent range of emotion of how Leigh works through his own emotions.

Personal Reaction:
This is another one of my personal favorite books. I love the unique style that this story was written in, and it was written very well. This is an excellent book to use with children of divorced families or just new children as well.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students start writing their own letters to someone important in their lives.
2. Have a discussion about role models/heros and why they are role models.
3. This is a great book to introduce writing letters, and keeping journals use that to your advantage. Set up a post office in home living, and let them "mail" their letters/drawings to whomever they want.
  ElizabethNagel | Nov 14, 2013 |
Leigh Botts is a boy who is author Boyd Henshaw's number one fan. He writes in a journal and letters to Mr. Henshaw about his life and what he is going through.

I liked this book because of how his writing style changes and the way he addresses and solves problems. I would use it in my teaching to show students that it's fun to keep a journal.

The ages I would use this for would be for 9-12 year olds. The theme is that life is good no matter what happens.
  awanalex | Nov 12, 2013 |
Dear Mr. Henshaw is a heart-warming story about a boy named Leigh Botts trying to navigate the aftermath of his parents' divorce. Written by Beverly Cleary in the form of letters and diary entries, the Newbery Medal winning book shows Leigh transform from a struggling second grader to a confident, self-assured sixth grader. At times laugh-out-loud silly, and at times poignantly sad, Leigh's pen-pal correspondences and diary entries leave you feeling satisfied about the way he sees his family, friends, and himself.

This book could be used in a classroom as a mentor-text for letter writing. Students might be inspired to write to their favorite authors like Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw. Also, it highlights how keeping a diary is a wonderful way to improve writing skills and release pent up emotions. This book would speak in particular to students whose parents are divorced, although it is definitely accessible to all. ( )
  Michaela.Bushey | Oct 25, 2013 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:50 -0400)

In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible