Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido…

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chrisyt
Title:Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Rayo (1997), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:newberry consideration, picture book, novels

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (1983)

English (111)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (112)
This was quite an enjoyable re-read. I remember liking this book as a kid, but being a little wary because I thought it was supposed to be a book for boys. I was pleasantly surprised by how much emotional depth Cleary was able to convey in the simple writing and authentic voice of a sixth-grade boy. Leigh is a likeable character and I had a lot of empathy for the struggles he was facing dealing with the divorce of his parents and his struggles making friends in a new school. The characters of his mom and dad were also very realistically portrayed. 1984 Newbery winner. ( )
  klburnside | Apr 21, 2016 |
This is a book about a young boy named Leigh Boots who has to deal with his parents separating and moving to a new town with his mom. This move for Leigh is not the best. He struggles to make friends and doesn't know how to deal with losing his father and not having him around. Leigh is assigned to write to his favorite author. This assignment leads to an unexpected friendship that changes Leigh life greatly. I could use this book and have it available for some students who may be going through divorce or having trouble with starting a new school. ( )
  rpridmore | Apr 15, 2016 |
Dear Mr. Henshaw is about a boy who finds himself through his writing which was inspired by is favorite author Boyd Henshaw. In my opinion this book is fantastic because it is relatable to any individual of any age. First, the character development is prominent throughout the whole book which makes the audience feel apart of the story. As the audience we get to see the main character Leigh Botts develop socially, emotionally, and academically. For example, through his writing we get to see how Leigh goes from the lonely outcast to having a good friend Barry. Leigh takes on his journey of growing up though his writing, which makes us feel apart of the story. We get to feel what he is feeling when his father forgets to call for weeks at a time. We feel his loneliness when his mother leaves to go to work or school. Another reason I liked this book is the because it is written in first person point of view. I have recently discovered that I am more attracted to books that are written in first point of view because I am able to connect to the book more. This could not be more true for Dear. Mr. Henshaw. If the book was written in any other point of view, the audience would no be able to feel what Leigh was feeling or see the impact others had on him. For example, when Leigh discusses his disappointment/anger with his father, we feel that. However, if someone was just to state, “Leigh was disappointed at his father.” it has not emotional attachment to it. Lastly, I loved the plot of the book. It was engaging and easy to follow along. The plot of the book silently makes you hope that Leigh will get a book published or his life will change dramatically, but in the end nothing special happens. Although this is a disappointment the ending correlates with the rest of the book. This keeps the plot relatable to its readers.
  jhunt6 | Apr 5, 2016 |
In this endearing book, written entirely in letters and journal entries, we meet Leigh Botts, a sixth grader who is going through some big changes in his life. These upheavals are revealed in his letters to Mr. Henshaw, his favorite author. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw a couple of times when he is younger, but then in sixth grade he is given the assignment of writing to an author with a series of questions. Of course Leigh chooses Henshaw, but he is surprised with the response. Henshaw does reply, not quite meeting the school's deadline, but his answers are funny and mischievous, and he requires Leigh to answer the same questions that he sent to Henshaw. At first Leigh is irritated - why couldn't his author just answer his questions normally, like the other authors? - but he starts writing, because his mom insists. And as he answers the questions and sends more and more letters to Mr. Henshaw, we learn more about Leigh's life. Such as the fact that his parents have recently separated and are getting a divorce, he and his mom have moved to a new town and he is the new kid at school, and someone is stealing food out of his lunch bag.

As Leigh continues his correspondence, and then switches over to a journal (at the prompting of Mr. Henshaw, who we can infer from Leigh's letters is irritable with Leigh for always pestering him with letters, which made me annoyed with his character because Leigh is so clearly looking for a father figure and he is an amazing boy, and why the author doesn't appreciate that more I just can't understand), we see a young boy navigating the rough waters of heart break and loneliness, and proving that he is a smart and ingenious kid who can handle the challenges life throws at him. Leigh comes to accept his parent's divorce even though it continues to make him sad, he buys a new lunch box and devises an alarm to scare off his pesky lunch thief, and he makes a new friend. Leigh is an amazing kid, and I began to root for him from the first letter he wrote. The novel draws the reader in right away, considering the intimacy of the letter format, and it handles its delicate topics with a deft touch that makes them accessible to the intended young readers of the book. I read through this book quickly, enjoyed it a great deal, and only cried a little. It is heartfelt and fantastic, and well deserving of the Newbery award it won. ( )
  nmhale | Mar 19, 2016 |
This book would be an excellent read aloud in a third-fifth grade class. Because of the length of the book, I would use it for older students. Because it is realistic fiction, it has very relatable topics, such as divorce, loneliness, and moving to a new school. When the book starts, the narrator is in second grade, but by the end of the book, he is in sixth grade. Students can observe how the author develops the character and his writing skills as he ages.
  TaylorWebb | Mar 3, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible