Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido…

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chrisyt
Title:Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Rayo (1997), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:newberry consideration, picture book, novels

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (1983)

English (121)  Tagalog (1)  All (122)
This book was the first chapter book I have read in a while. I recommend it as a read aloud for third and fourth grade. I feel that it would be a great book for the students to read independently if they are in fifth or sixth grade. It's an interesting book because Leigh, the main character writes to Mr. Henshaw his favorite author and he gets responses from him in a typed format. Leigh used writing to cope with his parents divorcing and his father rarely being home. Writing out your feelings and sharing them with someone takes a lot of bravery because you become transparent. I feel that this book could be great for teachers to have their students write to a favorite author or the teacher everyday. They will learn many things that students usually are too embarrassed to say out loud. ( )
  Sthefania | Jan 27, 2017 |
I thought this book was excellent. It being in all letter form, I'd never read that before. I haven't read this in a long, long time. It has to have been at least six years. I'm quite fuzzy of what happened and I think it's time for a reread in the near future. Maybe-hopefully not-it's not as great as I remembered, or maybe it is. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
How I loved this book and I am so glad I read it after all this time. I first heard of the book in a movie and since it was about writers I knew this book had to be special to be mentioned by the movie characters. This oh-so-adorable story of a young school boy writing to a writer, Mr. Henshaw over the course of about five-six years is endearing and heart-warming. I wish I had such an opportunity to write to authors and get author replies to my fan mail. The little world described by Leigh to Henshaw is so real and replete with his childish innocence that I was taken aback a little when the book ended on a disruptive note. I did not think of that ending. Perhaps, I was hoping for little Leigh to finally be able to meet his favourite author. Maybe he will. We all can write our version of stories. I loved Beverly Cleary's simple writing and look forward to reading more of her works now. And, Leigh has just become my favourite new kid book characters. So long, Leigh Botts, your will to write rubs off a good influence on me. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
from building rainbows
In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.
In this story, a boy named Leigh Botts writes to a man named Mr.Henshaw. It doesn't tell his first name in the story. Leigh Botts has always written to Mr.Henshaw since he was in the third grade. It's funny how every time Leigh moves to a different grade he has to do the same work. He had to write to a writer in all his grades from third to sixth grade.

Mr.Henshaw is a professional writer and Leigh Botts has read every one of his books. Leigh Botts wrote a letter to Mr.Henshaw about books that Mr. Henshaw had written called "Moose On Toast" and "Ways To Amuse a Dog." Mr. Henshaw did write back but with a typewriter. Leigh Botts sent Mr. Henshaw some questions and he never answered them until Leigh Botts wrote to him again.

Finally Leigh gets answers to his questions.

This book was published in 1983 and I cannot believe it took me this many years to read this wonderful book. I read it in one sitting. It deals with tough topics but topics very real to our students today. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
A profoundly simple and real story about a lonely and isolated boy who starts to write to his favorite author, Boyd Henshaw - he writes back and an unusual friendship by letters is established.

Leigh Botts faces several problems - the big one is understanding his parents divorce and coping with an absent dad who seems more interested driving around the country in his truck than in him - another one is how to become a writer - an author - and yet another one is to understand how his lunch is stolen every day. Some funny episodes here.

I loved this little gem. With the limited vocabulary and understated style it’s easy to imagine this being the writings of a young boy. ( )
  ctpress | Nov 30, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,184,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible