Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido…

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chrisyt
Title:Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Rayo (1997), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:newberry consideration, picture book, novels

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (1983)

English (117)  Tagalog (1)  English (118)
A profoundly simple and real story about a lonely and isolated boy who starts to write to his favorite author, Boyd Henshaw - he writes back and an unusual friendship by letters is established.

Leigh Botts faces several problems - the big one is understanding his parents divorce and coping with an absent dad who seems more interested driving around the country in his truck than in him - another one is how to become a writer - an author - and yet another one is to understand how his lunch is stolen every day. Some funny episodes here.

I loved this little gem. With the limited vocabulary and understated style it’s easy to imagine this being the writings of a young boy. ( )
  ctpress | Nov 30, 2016 |
Summary:

"Dear Mr. Henshaw" by Beverly Cleary, is a Newbery Award Winning, chapter book about a boy named Leigh Botts who wants to be a writer one day. He begins to write letters to one of his favorite authors. Mr. Henshaw is the authors name and he encouraged Leigh to write in a journal. The book shows the letters that Leigh writes to Henshaw almost everyday, and what he writes in his journal.

Personal Reaction:

As a child I loved Beverly Cleary. I really enjoyed the book. Leigh experienced something that a lot of children had to go through, but i believe that he handled it a lot better than some because he continued to write down his feelings. Writing down how he felt helped him cope with everything that was going on such as his parents getting a divorce.

Classroom Extension:

1. I would give each student a journal and have them write something in it everyday at some point. Then at the end of that assignment I would ask how the students felt after writing their feelings down.

2.Explain to the students what a role model is and have them write down why they chose that person.

3. Have the students write a little letter to their favorite author and send it to him or her.
  makayladawn | Nov 21, 2016 |
Dear Mr. Henshaw is a funny and easy-to-read book written in letter/journal entry format. The inner thoughts and musings of Leigh Botts are similar to those of any adolescent, and this would be a great book to read to fifth graders before they enter middle school.
  cgjohn3570 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. A reason I really liked this book was the descriptive language. For example, "she longed for a few ocean breezes, and now we've got them." and "We live in a little house, a really little house." The author went the extra mile to use descriptive language that fits the level of the readers. Another reason I liked this book was the layout of the book. A lot of the book is in letter form. It keeps the readers interested and engaged. I remember when I was younger I loved books like that because its exciting and interesting to read from that different perspective. The overall message of this book is that everyone goes through things throughout their life and we all need to learn to overcome life obstacles. ( )
  mlambe12 | Oct 6, 2016 |
I chose Beverly Cleary as a New Berry Award winner because,she was one of my favorite authors growing up and I lived reading her books!! I. "Dear Mr. Henshaw " book written by Beverly Cleary. Leigh Botts writes a letter to his favorite author Mr. Henshaw. Leigh occasionally writes him until he is in sixth grade and asks Mr. Henshaw a few questions. Mr. Henshaw writes him back and Leigh Is thrilled. Through the letters to Mr. Henshaw Leigh shares his personal thoughts such as his parents divorce, not having a close relationship with his father and being the new kid on the block. By writing to Mr. Henshaw Leigh has to learn to accept that there are thing in his life he cannot change such as his parents divorce, loneliness, being new kid and all the things kids go through. Beverly Cleary is one of the most well known and popular authors world wide. She has sold over 91 million books since het first book published in 1950 and a beautiful lady age 91. She has received several awards for her books such as The National Book Award in 1981, Newberry Medal on 1984 and The Laura Ingalls award in 1975.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 21, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,689,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible