Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido…

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chrisyt
Title:Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Rayo (1997), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:newberry consideration, picture book, novels

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (1983)

English (119)  Tagalog (1)  All (120)
Aww, Leigh, eres una ternura de niño ❤️ ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
from building rainbows
In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.
In this story, a boy named Leigh Botts writes to a man named Mr.Henshaw. It doesn't tell his first name in the story. Leigh Botts has always written to Mr.Henshaw since he was in the third grade. It's funny how every time Leigh moves to a different grade he has to do the same work. He had to write to a writer in all his grades from third to sixth grade.

Mr.Henshaw is a professional writer and Leigh Botts has read every one of his books. Leigh Botts wrote a letter to Mr.Henshaw about books that Mr. Henshaw had written called "Moose On Toast" and "Ways To Amuse a Dog." Mr. Henshaw did write back but with a typewriter. Leigh Botts sent Mr. Henshaw some questions and he never answered them until Leigh Botts wrote to him again.

Finally Leigh gets answers to his questions.

This book was published in 1983 and I cannot believe it took me this many years to read this wonderful book. I read it in one sitting. It deals with tough topics but topics very real to our students today. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
A profoundly simple and real story about a lonely and isolated boy who starts to write to his favorite author, Boyd Henshaw - he writes back and an unusual friendship by letters is established.

Leigh Botts faces several problems - the big one is understanding his parents divorce and coping with an absent dad who seems more interested driving around the country in his truck than in him - another one is how to become a writer - an author - and yet another one is to understand how his lunch is stolen every day. Some funny episodes here.

I loved this little gem. With the limited vocabulary and understated style it’s easy to imagine this being the writings of a young boy. ( )
  ctpress | Nov 30, 2016 |
Summary:

"Dear Mr. Henshaw" by Beverly Cleary, is a Newbery Award Winning, chapter book about a boy named Leigh Botts who wants to be a writer one day. He begins to write letters to one of his favorite authors. Mr. Henshaw is the authors name and he encouraged Leigh to write in a journal. The book shows the letters that Leigh writes to Henshaw almost everyday, and what he writes in his journal.

Personal Reaction:

As a child I loved Beverly Cleary. I really enjoyed the book. Leigh experienced something that a lot of children had to go through, but i believe that he handled it a lot better than some because he continued to write down his feelings. Writing down how he felt helped him cope with everything that was going on such as his parents getting a divorce.

Classroom Extension:

1. I would give each student a journal and have them write something in it everyday at some point. Then at the end of that assignment I would ask how the students felt after writing their feelings down.

2.Explain to the students what a role model is and have them write down why they chose that person.

3. Have the students write a little letter to their favorite author and send it to him or her.
  makayladawn | Nov 21, 2016 |
Dear Mr. Henshaw is a funny and easy-to-read book written in letter/journal entry format. The inner thoughts and musings of Leigh Botts are similar to those of any adolescent, and this would be a great book to read to fifth graders before they enter middle school.
  cgjohn3570 | Oct 16, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,622,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible