Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido…

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Member:chrisyt
Title:Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Rayo (1997), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:newberry consideration, picture book, novels

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (1983)

English (113)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (114)
I chose Beverly Cleary as a New Berry Award winner because,she was one of my favorite authors growing up and I lived reading her books!! I. "Dear Mr. Henshaw " book written by Beverly Cleary. Leigh Botts writes a letter to his favorite author Mr. Henshaw. Leigh occasionally writes him until he is in sixth grade and asks Mr. Henshaw a few questions. Mr. Henshaw writes him back and Leigh Is thrilled. Through the letters to Mr. Henshaw Leigh shares his personal thoughts such as his parents divorce, not having a close relationship with his father and being the new kid on the block. By writing to Mr. Henshaw Leigh has to learn to accept that there are thing in his life he cannot change such as his parents divorce, loneliness, being new kid and all the things kids go through. Beverly Cleary is one of the most well known and popular authors world wide. She has sold over 91 million books since het first book published in 1950 and a beautiful lady age 91. She has received several awards for her books such as The National Book Award in 1981, Newberry Medal on 1984 and The Laura Ingalls award in 1975.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 21, 2016 |
Growing up isn't easy when experiencing newly divorced parents and the flood of emotions that come with loss of a family unit. In this case Leigh also wrestles with disappoint in his father and being left alone often as his mom works to pay the bills. He struggles to meet friends at a new school and deals with a lunchbox thief which keeps him scowling. Thank goodness for his favorite author Mr. Henshaw, who encourages Leigh to write like himself in order to work towards his goal of becoming an author. Through journaling, Leigh works through his feelings and grows as a young man. A realistic fiction coming of age story that students can relate to. Grade 4 Novel Study. ( )
  DeniseWA | Jul 6, 2016 |
Dear Mr. Henshaw is about a boy named Leigh. He writes letters to his favorite author and gets responses. I like this book because it's written in all letters so you have to figure some things out yourself. I also like it because you get lots of funny letters from the boy. I would recommend this book to people who don't mind reading all Letters. ( )
  AmeliaB2 | Jun 2, 2016 |
This was quite an enjoyable re-read. I remember liking this book as a kid, but being a little wary because I thought it was supposed to be a book for boys. I was pleasantly surprised by how much emotional depth Cleary was able to convey in the simple writing and authentic voice of a sixth-grade boy. Leigh is a likeable character and I had a lot of empathy for the struggles he was facing dealing with the divorce of his parents and his struggles making friends in a new school. The characters of his mom and dad were also very realistically portrayed. 1984 Newbery winner. ( )
  klburnside | Apr 21, 2016 |
This is a book about a young boy named Leigh Boots who has to deal with his parents separating and moving to a new town with his mom. This move for Leigh is not the best. He struggles to make friends and doesn't know how to deal with losing his father and not having him around. Leigh is assigned to write to his favorite author. This assignment leads to an unexpected friendship that changes Leigh life greatly. I could use this book and have it available for some students who may be going through divorce or having trouble with starting a new school. ( )
  rpridmore | Apr 15, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,231,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible