Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido…

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Title:Dear Mr. Henshaw (Spanish edition): Querido Senor Henshaw
Authors:Beverly Cleary
Other authors:Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)
Info:Rayo (1997), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:newberry consideration, picture book, novels

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (1983)

English (106)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (107)
This Newbery-winning chapter book is a story about a young boy named Leigh Botts, who writes a letter to his favorite author, Mr. Henshaw, for a class assignment. When Mr. Henshaw writes back, he encourages Leigh, who is an aspiring writer himself, to start writing in a diary. The story begins when Leigh is in the second grade, and its entirety is based around his diary entries and letters to Mr. Henshaw, through which he takes his readers on a journey throughout his struggles and triumphs at home, school, and within himself.

Personal Reaction:
When I recently stumbled across this book, I was more than thrilled. I had loved this book as a child and had read it multiple times. I think this would be a great book to keep in the classroom.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I could use this book as a guide in teaching the students the proper way to write, address, and send letters. I can have the students write their own letters to someone they admire, such as authors, musicians, actors, etc..
2. I could introduce this book to the students at the beginning of the school year and have them start diaries of their own, which will remain at school to be written in on a daily basis.
  Stacie_Larsen | Nov 18, 2015 |
This Newbery chapter book is about a little boy named Leigh, who feels lonely after his parents got a divorce. He first began writing his favorite author after his teacher read a book that he fell in love with. He continued writing letters each year, then soon almost everyday. He learned tips on writing, some without even realizing it. He learned how to keep a journal and wrote in it everyday. This book shows each letter written to Mr. Henshaw, his favorite author, and each journal entry that he made.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed reading this book. Leigh told his story in narrative form. He wrote letters and expressed his emotions in thought and on paper. I think this would be a great book for youngsters to read. Keeping a journal is really a good thing. If you have nobody to express your feelings to, at least getting it out on paper is better than bottling it up inside.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Keeping a journal has so many positive effects. Each day, students can take the first 8-10 minutes and write an entry in their journal. I can give a new topic each day for them to write about, and maybe on the last day of the week have a free day and they can write what they want. They can be creative, share stories, and improve their writing skills.
2. This book is full of letters that Leigh has written to Mr. Henshaw. Students can learn how to properly write a letter, address it, and send it to a person who has positively impacted them. It can be a family member, a teacher, an author, someone from church, a friend, etc. It will be exciting for students to wait for a response. ( )
  A.Fonville | Nov 15, 2015 |
I've read every Ramona book and most of Henry Huggins, Socks, Ribsy and more. This one isn't in the same category - definitely more in the realistic fiction genre. Everything isn't perfect for our protagonist but there are lessons and things for the target audience (9 ish) to think about and discuss.

I enjoyed this book. Keep in mind 3-stars is a solid rating from me. I feel constrained by a 5 point scale often :P ( )
  Industrialstr | Aug 7, 2015 |
Summary: Leigh Botts starts out as a second grader who writes to an author he likes after reading one of the author's books. He continues to write the author each time being dissatisfied with the authors responses. The author and Leigh have a very back and forth relationship but the author causes Leigh to think about himself and writing. As Leigh gets older his life gets harder and he relies on writing to keep him company. In the end Leigh finds piece at being a writer himself instead of glorifying the author he writes to.

Personal reaction: I believe Leigh went through what most children go through. I like how he wasn't perfect and had to work on himself to find peace. Not everyone was nice in the book and not everything worked out which is a more realistic approach than to sum it up with "happily ever after" like most children's stories do.

Extension Ideas: Write your favorite author. Write your own story.
  Te904669 | Jul 22, 2015 |
The subject of letter writing may seem like history, but this book actually made me want to reach out to someone using paper and pencil, like it used to be in the old days. I don't know that I can explain why, maybe it was the fact that the child stuck to what he was doing, even though in the beginning adults were pushing him when he wasn't really feeling it. This alone is proof to young readers that though you might not like something at first, you may find you enjoy it in the end.

The story of Leigh's life isn't an easy one. He is dealing with his parents being divorced, he is dealing with the struggles of the living situation that comes with divorce, but it isn't a heavy or weighted book. There are down times and there are moments of enjoyment, there are times when he becomes angry, but there are times when things seem to be going okay and there is nothing to be frustrated about. Through the letter writing we learn a lot about Leigh's situation, his feelings, and his desire to be a writer.

An excellent book for young readers who want to be authors some day or for children in single parent households. The unique style of the writing (the book is basically a collection of letters and diary entries) helps to encourage the reader to envision themselves as a part of the story or to apply it to their lives. Easy to see why it won the Newbery Award. ( )
  mirrani | Apr 19, 2015 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
My teacher read your book about the dog to our class.
Dear Mr. Henshaw,
When you answered my questions, you said the way to be get to be an author was to write.
My story is about a man ten feet tall who drives a big truck, the kind my Dad drives. The man is made of wax, and every time he crosses the desert, he melts a little.

this story is about a boy who writes his favorite author as a way of coping with his parents divorce and his life changes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709589, Paperback)

When, in second grade, Leigh writes to an author to tell him how much he "licked" his book, he never suspects that he'll still be writing to him four years later. And he never imagines the kinds of things he'll be writing about:
Dear Mr. Henshaw, I am sorry I was rude in my last letter... Maybe I was mad about other things, like Dad forgetting to send this month's support payment. Mom tried to phone him at the trailer park where, as Mom says, he hangs his hat.
It's not easy being the new kid in town, with recently divorced parents, no dog anymore, and a lunch that gets stolen every day (all the "good stuff," anyway). Writing letters, first to the real Mr. Henshaw, and then in a diary to a pretend Mr. Henshaw, may be just what he needs.

This Newbery Medal-winning book, by the terrifically popular and prolific Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and Runaway Ralph), exhibits a subtlety and sensitivity that will be appreciated by any youngster who feels lonely and troubled during the transition into adolescence. Winner of numerous other awards, including two Newbery Honors, Cleary teams up with Caldecott winner Paul O. Zelinsky, who creates a quiet backdrop for the realistic characters. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

In his letters to his favorite author, ten-year-old Leigh reveals his problems in coping with his parents' divorce, being the new boy in school, and generally finding his own place in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible