The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks…

The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

by Max Brooks, Max Brooks

3611930,087 (3.6)25

Max Brooks seems to be the modern expert or aficionado on zombies. He wrote two other books on zombies as well. This short graphic novel does not follow the typical narrative arc. Instead, Brooks picks out many moments in history and paints the picture of what a zombie attack would look like during that time period. Due to the nature of the stories being told, the pictures are graphic in nature; this book is probably most suitable for upper grade levels, although mature middle school students might also be interested in it. From an imaginative perspective, Brooks conjures ideas and images that are quite impressive. I can see no curricular connections to this book, except that it may engage some reluctant readers.
  jstrecker | Feb 11, 2016 |
Interesting premise even if, like me, you don't give a damn about zombies. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
Loved the art in this. Super cool and gruesome. The title says it all about this one. It is a collection of recorded zombie attacks through history which was super cool and it's made me really excited to read the related books by Max Brooks. I think I may like zombie stories. Totally new section of the horror genre for me. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
Published In: New York
Date: 2009
Pgs: 144

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The wars of survival that we are fighting against the zombie in the modern age are not the first plagues to sweep across Man. There have been recorded instances throughout history. They’re coming and they’re hungry. From the Stone Age to the Information Age, across African savannas, against Roman legions, and onboard sailing ships, civilizations have faced them. The darkness of today mirrors the past. The monster is rising. Shoot it in the head.

Genre:
Horror
Science fiction
Zombies

Why this book:
Zombies plus Max Brooks equals me reading.
__________________________________________________​

The Feel:
Even with the differing format from novel to graphic novel, Brooks close and paranoid feel manages to communicate through Roberson’s excellent line drawings.

Favorite Scene:
When the caveman faces down the horde and discovers how to take down the rampaging dead and ends up as the subject of a cave painting showing the future viewer to fear the bite of the living dead.

Pacing:
The vignette stories are short and carry a pretty good punch. The pace is great.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
The WW2 Japanese chapter and the USSR in the 60s chapter are too closely related to one another given the spread of the other stories in the book. Same stories could have been told with less direct connections, either that or had them be pieces of the same story instead of one after the other with a direct story connection.

Hmm Moments:
The “real” reason the ancient Egyptians removed the brains during their funerary rituals.

Hadrian’s Wall.

Are these conspiracy theories from a zombie plagued world? That would work since each fails to tell us where the disease came from, even though it is obviously the same disease. The modern world is necessary for it to become the rampant widespread disaster that it is in the modern zombie craze. The hordes couldn’t spread fast enough to devour everything. A modern interconnected world makes the disease spread faster.

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
Considering the little that WWZ had to do with Brook’s incredible book, I have no desire to see this translated.
__________________________________________________​

Last Page Sound:
Wish there was more.

Author Assessment:
I love Brooks and zombies.

Editorial Assessment:
My only quibble is regarding the WW2 Japan and USSR stories interconnectivity that I addressed elsewhere.

Knee Jerk Reaction:

Max Brooksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brooks, Maxmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Michelle and Henry,
my twin pillars
Recent archaeological expeditions discovered a cave on the banks of the upper Semliki River...

"Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it. From the Stone Age to the information age, the undead have threatened to engulf the human race. They're coming. They're hungry. Don't wait for them to come to you! This is the graphic novel the fans demanded: major zombie attacks from the dawn of humanity. On the African savannas, against the legions of ancient Rome, on the high seas with Francis Drake-- every civilization has faced them. Here are the grisly and heroic stories--complete with eye-popping artwork that pulsates with the hideous faces of the undead. Organize before they rise! Scripted by the world's leading zombie authority, Max Brooks, Recorded Attacks reveals how other eras and cultures have dealt with--and survived--the ancient viral plague. By immersing ourselves in past horror we may yet prevail over the coming outbreak in our time" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible