The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks…

The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

Published In: New York
Date: 2009
Pgs: 144

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The wars of survival that we are fighting against the zombie in the modern age are not the first plagues to sweep across Man. There have been recorded instances throughout history. They’re coming and they’re hungry. From the Stone Age to the Information Age, across African savannas, against Roman legions, and onboard sailing ships, civilizations have faced them. The darkness of today mirrors the past. The monster is rising. Shoot it in the head.

Genre:
Horror
Science fiction
Zombies

Why this book:
Zombies plus Max Brooks equals me reading.
__________________________________________________​

The Feel:
Even with the differing format from novel to graphic novel, Brooks close and paranoid feel manages to communicate through Roberson’s excellent line drawings.

Favorite Scene:
When the caveman faces down the horde and discovers how to take down the rampaging dead and ends up as the subject of a cave painting showing the future viewer to fear the bite of the living dead.

Pacing:
The vignette stories are short and carry a pretty good punch. The pace is great.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
The WW2 Japanese chapter and the USSR in the 60s chapter are too closely related to one another given the spread of the other stories in the book. Same stories could have been told with less direct connections, either that or had them be pieces of the same story instead of one after the other with a direct story connection.

Hmm Moments:
The “real” reason the ancient Egyptians removed the brains during their funerary rituals.

Hadrian’s Wall.

Are these conspiracy theories from a zombie plagued world? That would work since each fails to tell us where the disease came from, even though it is obviously the same disease. The modern world is necessary for it to become the rampant widespread disaster that it is in the modern zombie craze. The hordes couldn’t spread fast enough to devour everything. A modern interconnected world makes the disease spread faster.

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
Considering the little that WWZ had to do with Brook’s incredible book, I have no desire to see this translated.
__________________________________________________​

Last Page Sound:
Wish there was more.

Author Assessment:
I love Brooks and zombies.

Editorial Assessment:
My only quibble is regarding the WW2 Japan and USSR stories interconnectivity that I addressed elsewhere.

Knee Jerk Reaction:

__________________________________________________​ ( )
  texascheeseman | Aug 2, 2015 |
3,5 stars ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
This is a graphic novel with some historical minor instances of zombie outbreaks prior to WWZ.

The graphics are well drawn and complex. The writing is clear with a trace of humor. There are no characters to follow as this is an episodic, historical overview type story.

Overall, a fun read. ( )
  catya77 | Aug 17, 2013 |
3.5 Stars-

OK... I really loved [b:The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead|535441|The Zombie Survival Guide Complete Protection From the Living Dead|Max Brooks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266579500s/535441.jpg|818] & the audio performance of [b:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War|8908|World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War|Max Brooks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165766703s/8908.jpg|817] and I have plans to read World War Z next month (since the audio is abridged... I know, I know! Blasphemy. Yes, but it's awesome still. It's the exception. Trust me. Just look at the cast list.) and so I thought that I would round out the Max Brooks trio on my bookcase and pick this up.

I enjoyed it for the most part, and I think that the artwork was great. I liked the stark simplicity of the stories regarding each historical attack, but there were times when I wished for a little explanation of what we were seeing in the frame and how it related to other frames, etc. These are just pen and ink drawings, and sometimes I felt that a little explanation or context ("Meanwhile, overhead...", etc) would connect the imagery into a cohesive "story". It wouldn't have taken very much, but I felt it would have benefited from those small additions.

Regarding the artwork, this really is my favorite style - sketchy, not overly-processed drawings. I loved one scene showing hordes coming from afar, and they were just the barest subtle outline of a shape - but it gets the point across. I love that. But I do have one complaint - and this is really why I can't give this a higher rating. This is regarding the inconsistent way newly-turned zombies were depicted.

I get that with this 90% wordless medium, the artist would want to differentiate between swarthy, dirty, rugged menfolk and the undead, and so would take a little liberty. The easiest way to do that is to "monsterize" the zombies. I'd have been OK with that if ALL of the zombies were shown that way, and if that fit in with Brooks' canon, but they weren't and it doesn't. Part of the danger of the zombie virus is that it turns people and those around them don't yet recognize the danger because other than a bite, they look perfectly normal.

So there is one part where a woman's body is found bound and frozen, and some men take her inside, where she thaws out. The men are baffled, because she should be dead, but isn't. Then she starts nomming one of them and they kill her for good. The whole time, she looked normal, if a little deranged. Certainly NOT rotting or ragged. But the man that she bit comes back looking like he clawed his way out of a shallow grave after spending a couple months decomposing in the summer heat. It was just really inconsistent and slightly aggravating.

Otherwise, I really liked this little book. I don't regret the purchase, and would definitely recommend it for those who like gory zombie graphic novels, because it was that. I'm just... kinda finicky about artwork. I don't apologize for that, dammit!

...I'm sorry! O_o ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
An illustrated version of the recorded attacks that make up the last part of the survival guide. It does not contain all of the accounts from the guide but has most of the major ones. The art was great and fit well with the stories. It also reminds me a lot of the art done by Burne Hogarth because of how the shading was done. Overall fun but not an essential read however it is fun to see Brooks' zombies drawn to life . . . or would that be death? ( )
  bakabaka84 | Feb 6, 2013 |
To Michelle and Henry,
my twin pillars
Recent archaeological expeditions discovered a cave on the banks of the upper Semliki River...

"Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it. From the Stone Age to the information age, the undead have threatened to engulf the human race. They're coming. They're hungry. Don't wait for them to come to you! This is the graphic novel the fans demanded: major zombie attacks from the dawn of humanity. On the African savannas, against the legions of ancient Rome, on the high seas with Francis Drake-- every civilization has faced them. Here are the grisly and heroic stories--complete with eye-popping artwork that pulsates with the hideous faces of the undead. Organize before they rise! Scripted by the world's leading zombie authority, Max Brooks, Recorded Attacks reveals how other eras and cultures have dealt with--and survived--the ancient viral plague. By immersing ourselves in past horror we may yet prevail over the coming outbreak in our time" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,014,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible