The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks…

The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

by Max Brooks

3201434,663 (3.6)23

3,5 stars ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
This is a graphic novel with some historical minor instances of zombie outbreaks prior to WWZ.

The graphics are well drawn and complex. The writing is clear with a trace of humor. There are no characters to follow as this is an episodic, historical overview type story.

Overall, a fun read. ( )
  catya77 | Aug 17, 2013 |
3.5 Stars-

OK... I really loved [b:The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead|535441|The Zombie Survival Guide Complete Protection From the Living Dead|Max Brooks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266579500s/535441.jpg|818] & the audio performance of [b:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War|8908|World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War|Max Brooks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165766703s/8908.jpg|817] and I have plans to read World War Z next month (since the audio is abridged... I know, I know! Blasphemy. Yes, but it's awesome still. It's the exception. Trust me. Just look at the cast list.) and so I thought that I would round out the Max Brooks trio on my bookcase and pick this up.

I enjoyed it for the most part, and I think that the artwork was great. I liked the stark simplicity of the stories regarding each historical attack, but there were times when I wished for a little explanation of what we were seeing in the frame and how it related to other frames, etc. These are just pen and ink drawings, and sometimes I felt that a little explanation or context ("Meanwhile, overhead...", etc) would connect the imagery into a cohesive "story". It wouldn't have taken very much, but I felt it would have benefited from those small additions.

Regarding the artwork, this really is my favorite style - sketchy, not overly-processed drawings. I loved one scene showing hordes coming from afar, and they were just the barest subtle outline of a shape - but it gets the point across. I love that. But I do have one complaint - and this is really why I can't give this a higher rating. This is regarding the inconsistent way newly-turned zombies were depicted.

I get that with this 90% wordless medium, the artist would want to differentiate between swarthy, dirty, rugged menfolk and the undead, and so would take a little liberty. The easiest way to do that is to "monsterize" the zombies. I'd have been OK with that if ALL of the zombies were shown that way, and if that fit in with Brooks' canon, but they weren't and it doesn't. Part of the danger of the zombie virus is that it turns people and those around them don't yet recognize the danger because other than a bite, they look perfectly normal.

So there is one part where a woman's body is found bound and frozen, and some men take her inside, where she thaws out. The men are baffled, because she should be dead, but isn't. Then she starts nomming one of them and they kill her for good. The whole time, she looked normal, if a little deranged. Certainly NOT rotting or ragged. But the man that she bit comes back looking like he clawed his way out of a shallow grave after spending a couple months decomposing in the summer heat. It was just really inconsistent and slightly aggravating.

Otherwise, I really liked this little book. I don't regret the purchase, and would definitely recommend it for those who like gory zombie graphic novels, because it was that. I'm just... kinda finicky about artwork. I don't apologize for that, dammit!

...I'm sorry! O_o ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
An illustrated version of the recorded attacks that make up the last part of the survival guide. It does not contain all of the accounts from the guide but has most of the major ones. The art was great and fit well with the stories. It also reminds me a lot of the art done by Burne Hogarth because of how the shading was done. Overall fun but not an essential read however it is fun to see Brooks' zombies drawn to life . . . or would that be death? ( )
  bakabaka84 | Feb 6, 2013 |
Vivid and finely detailed black and white drawings. Deadly serious about it's subject matter - great fun. ( )
  blackjacket | Dec 12, 2012 |
To Michelle and Henry,
my twin pillars
Recent archaeological expeditions discovered a cave on the banks of the upper Semliki River...

"Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it. From the Stone Age to the information age, the undead have threatened to engulf the human race. They're coming. They're hungry. Don't wait for them to come to you! This is the graphic novel the fans demanded: major zombie attacks from the dawn of humanity. On the African savannas, against the legions of ancient Rome, on the high seas with Francis Drake-- every civilization has faced them. Here are the grisly and heroic stories--complete with eye-popping artwork that pulsates with the hideous faces of the undead. Organize before they rise! Scripted by the world's leading zombie authority, Max Brooks, Recorded Attacks reveals how other eras and cultures have dealt with--and survived--the ancient viral plague. By immersing ourselves in past horror we may yet prevail over the coming outbreak in our time" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible