Isabella of France: The Life of a Medieval…

Isabella of France: The Life of a Medieval Queen

by Alison Weir

Alison Weir's "Queen Isabella" was written to make the record straight when it came to Isabella. She was a woman who did what she had to do to get by but people saw that as a bad thing. Isabella, Edward II, and Mortimer all led interesting intertwined lives. I would recommend this book but I gave it 3 stars because it is a little hard to get through, the years and people are constantly changing and there isn't a real order to things. ( )
  Desilu42 | Aug 1, 2013 |
Like most of Mrs Weir's work, I found Queen Isabella to be a very entertaining and forceful read. Weir has a way of putting us right there with these historical figures in such a way that we start feeling like we know them intimately. Isabella was just a child of 12 or 13 when she came to the court of her, likely gay, new husband. Quickly shunted aside, she soon figured things out for herself and started taking charge.

Forgetting all of that, Weir adds great little details to give us a fuller, more 3D picture instead of just some biased, flat image like many historians will do. For instance, I found the bit about how Isabella became friends with her husband despite everything particularly moving. Another winner for Weir. ( )
  singtoangels | Jul 11, 2013 |
Normally I steam through books in one sitting, but this one is a harder nut to crack. It's very dense (well, it is a proper historical work and has a lot of stuff in the late 13th and early 14th century to lay out or recover from fragmentary sources). It's quite slow. But mostly, the point of it is to redeem or explain Isabella, who was married to Edward II (you'll know him as the one who died from a red-hot poker up the bum). The thing is that I hadn't heard of her before opening up this book, so had no particular need to have her redeemed to me - though finding out that it's quite likely that Edward didn't die of a red-hot poker after all is interesting, and the strong possibility that he escaped to the continent instead is even better. Quite exciting, that!

I'd recommend her book about the Princes in the Tower, or the other one about Eleanor of Acquitaine, more than this one - but I am getting plenty out of it, to be fair. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
Most people are probably familiar with Queen Isabella through her depiction in the movie Braveheart. However that film is total fiction. This interesting and highly readable novel depicts a much more historically accurate biography of the queen. A child when William Wallace was executed, Isabella is a French princess who is sent to England to marry the heir to the throne, Edward II. Theirs is not a romantic marriage and rumors that she had a hand in directing her husband’s death persist. The novel is highly readable and sympathetic to Queen Isabella. It offers an interesting historical glimpse into the life of a forgotten queen. ( )
  queencersei | Apr 12, 2010 |
Absolutely loved it! ( )
  mjai | Sep 11, 2009 |
On 20 May 1303, a solemn betrothal took place in Paris.

In this vibrant biography, acclaimed author Alison Weir reexamines the life of Isabella of England, one of history’s most notorious and charismatic queens. Isabella arrived in London in 1308, the spirited twelve-year-old daughter of King Philip IV of France. Her marriage to the heir to England’s throne was designed to heal old political wounds between the two countries, and in the years that followed she became an important figure, a determined and clever woman whose influence would come to last centuries. Many myths and legends have been woven around Isabella’s story, but in this first full biography in more than 150 years, Alison Weir gives a groundbreaking new perspective.

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:23 -0400)

A portrait of Queen Isabella describes her marriage to Edward II, the king's homosexual affairs, her flight back to France, and her alliance with her husband's arch-enemy, Roger Mortimer, with whom she launched a revolution.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible