Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham

Shadows in the Darkness

by Elaine Cunningham

190462,147 (3.62)9

Whizzed through this book. Great characters, fresh take on the elves thing, interesting mystery. Main shortcoming is that there were a lot of pieces left hanging loose. What did happen on the night GiGi's parents died? Why did her uncle kill his brother? Who killed Frank Cross? Who is Jason Cross for real? What is Ian Forrest really up to and why did he work for the Earl? Clearly some of this was meant to set up a sequel but some I think are just loose ends. I just saw that the the third book in the series (Changling) was not picked up by TOR so unless the second book answers a lot of questions, a lot will go hanging. Nevertheless I will definitely look for the sequel -- Shadows in the Starlight (?). ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jul 15, 2008 |
Well, I seem to have reviewed these in the wrong order. At any rate, I liked the first one (this one) more than the second, though both were quite good. Cunningham has an interesting twist on the whole changeling/elf thing that has seriously dark undertones (things elves meets the sopranos) and takes the reader on a hair-raising adventure right along with Gwen. In Shadows in the Darkness, we start out with a bust gone bad and Gwen ousted from the police force almost immediately...what's an out of work changeling (who doesn't know she is one) to do? Become a P.I. of course.

Gwen's character is established as quirky, tough as nails, provocative and without fear. She's determined to do the right thing even when it puts here in danger. As the story continues we are introduced to a series of additional quirky but endearing characters...including Gwen's land-lady who has a special past, her mentor and first partner (forced to retire because of his drinking), the spitfire nun with quite the mouth on her, and the list goes on...characters who are long time friends and brand new ones are introduced in rapid fire succession as the stories continues to build and build. We see Gwen through the death of two of her colleagues, the kidnapping of a child, the death of her partner and more. It's interesting to watch Gwen develop as the story goes on; she's one of the more entertaining characters I've read in a long time!

We're never really given all the keys to the kingdom (as far as solving the case and tying up loose ends) and neither is Gwen. Shadows in the Darkness ends in a somewhat predictable manner...but it's the building up of the story for what is to come that keeps that from dragging this book down to an annoying level. All I can say is, the third one better not take two years to be published! ( )
1 vote the_hag | Jan 23, 2008 |
One of the better examples of the urban fantasy genre; I felt there was a lot of material for a longer series (hopefully there will be more). ( )
  malcontentdiary | Nov 10, 2007 |
Good start. Very much like early Anita Blake. There's plot and sex, but much more of the former. Yay! ( )
  devi | Mar 4, 2006 |

Gwen "GiGi" Gelman, a ten year veteran of the Providence, Rhode Island vice squad, finds herself unemployed after being blamed for a routine bust that turned into a bloodbath. GiGi is used to being on her own, though, and with the help of a DA who owes her, she's scraped together enough capital to start her own PI business, specializing in"family problems"-in particular runaways who have disappeared into Providence's seamy underside.

With a few custodian kidnapping cases under her belt, as well as a case against a Catholic school teacher/molester, GiGi is doing well for herself --until she takes on the case of a fourteen year old runaway who may or may not have been kidnapped.

As GiGi investigates, she accidentally opens the door to her own mystical past. Now long-hidden family ties threaten her, and the secret of her identity unlocks a conspiracy that reveals the forces of darkness that play in the shadows...

Forces that intend to be the masters of all mortal life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:20 -0400)

Unfairly discharged from her Rhode Island vice squad after a routine bust goes wrong, Gigi Gelman starts her own private investigative business and takes on the case of a fourteen year old runaway who may have been kidnapped.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,231,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible