SantaThing sign up ends in 5 minutes (5:00 PM EDT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

No title

Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Ten Queens: Portraits of Women of Power by Milton Meltzer

I read the section about Eleanor of Aquitaine to my kids. It was a little long for a read-aloud, but they followed it fairly well. My daughter seemed excited to learn about Richard the Lionheart and John Lackland's mom. Reading the section made me want to see "The Lion in Winter" again.

It's due back at the library soon, but I'm going to try to read another couple of sections before we return it. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Feb 3, 2016 |
"Why this book about the ten queens? These are not women who were called queens because they happened to marry a king and had little or nothing to say about ruling the country. These ten were women of power."

From start to finish, I fell completely in love with this book for various reasons, but mostly because I have always been very interested in women of power, particularly queens. From the lovely pictures of each queen, to the captivating biographies and intriguing facts, the ways to incorporate this into other readings or using it alone as a lesson or project seem endless, although it would depend on the age of audience. I think this could also lead into a great discussion about other women of power in history where I could ask the class what other women possess power that are/were not necessarily queens. I will be buying this book for future use!
  ADReed | Feb 2, 2015 |

ImperfectCJ | May 4, 2013 |
This book is the complement to Meltzer's "Ten Kings." It covers the life, times and reign of ten historical queens and offers a glimpse into their past.

This book would be great for any student who is interested in royalty (I myself love it). It's at an advanced reading level (and long), so it may require discussion to appeal to younger grades, but it is very informative and interesting. Also, as some rulers of the past were violent, it would be most appropriate for the older grades. It is an excellent source of information for Social Studies, specifically for cultural and world history.
  jebass | Oct 24, 2011 |

From the courage and beauty of Esther (5th century B.C.) to the fierce battle tactics of Boudicca (A.D. c. 62) to the reforming spirit of Catherine the Great (1729-1796), here are ten essays about the personal and political natures of ten queens by an author who has been called "arguably the best writer of social history for children and adolescents ever." Most of these queens were, by today's standards, astonishingly young. Some were schooled to rule, others not. But all were ambitious, passionate, and determined to hold power. And all, in their successes and failures, ideals and compromises, assumptions and privileges, present interesting contrasts with the lives of modern women. Ten Queens was celebrated as a Booklist Editors' Choice, a Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies, an International Reading Association's Teachers' Choice, and a Bank Street College Best Book, among many other citations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Presents essays about the personal and political natures of ten queens from Esther (5th century B.C.) to Catherine the Great (1729-1796).

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,652,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible