Rule 34 by Charles Stross

Rule 34 (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Charles Stross

Title:Rule 34
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Orbit (2012), Paperback

Rule 34 by Charles Stross (2011)

English (44)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (46)
Fun. Playing with known memes and extrapolating, creating a near future vision of a strange yet familiar world. Did I mention fun? He is very good at capturing the work relationships, the internecine work politics.
The three main characters stories all dovetailed nicely, and I enjoyed the use of the 2nd person narrative, even though the viewpoint changed between chapters, the characters seemed distinct enough for this not to matter. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
This one did not even pass the 30-page test let alone the 80-page test. I read on somebody's blog that he thought it was one of the best sci-fi novels of 2011. Not hardly. There was not a single likable character (I am pretty sure Stross intended it that way) and too much senseless slang and authentic British (Scottish I think) accented dialog. A total pain to read and not the least bit interesting. Dark, Icky and boring is how I'd describe it. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Any story that follows at least seven different characters and is told entirely in the 2nd person would drive me mad. Stross is also guilty of pages worth of infodumps about made-up AIs. His characters' internal monologues are nearly indistinguishable and utilize strained, over-long metaphors that aren't nearly as clever as Stross thinks they are. The characters themselves are each a unique blend of characteristics, but in the end the only one I was even slightly interested in was the psychopath criminal, which I doubt was intended. And the AI's pov is the stupidest one I've heard yet.

So no, I didn't like this. It gets 2 stars from me on the basis that Stross is clearly trying to use new character types and I liked the economics subplot. But overall I found this to be turgid, boring, and a serious slog to get through. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
The book is written in second person, which at times makes it a bit harder to read than necessary, but once you've gotten used to the style the book very quickly becomes an excellent "what if.." based on today's online malarkey.

The book is at times written for insiders (local slang, local placenames, lots of internet memes) which will both date the book and make it more inaccessible for people outside the cultural referance frame.

Still, the plot and the "what if..." makes up for a lot of that. I relly enjoyed this book. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacKenzie, Robert IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"In Scotland, you can't believe how strong the homosexuals are." -Televangelist Pat Robertson, on the 700 Club, 1999 (attrib: BBC News)
For George and Leo
It's a slow Tuesday afternoon, and you're coming to the end of your shift on the West End control desk when Sergeant McDougall IMs you: INSPECTOR WANTED ON FATACC SCENE.

Head of the Rule 34 Squad monitoring the Internet for illegal activities, Detective Inspector Liz Kavanaugh investigates the link between three ex-con spammers who have been murdered.

102 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible